Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by JeffG
huh.., So You think the leupold one-piece base is bad somehow? All of them, or just some? (like the Weaver #14 aluminum bases that were bored wrong?)

Great story of stick-to-itivness, and gentlemanly follow-through! Thanks for sharing Joe
Don’t know Jeff, I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about that mount? It’s the only one I’ve had? My hunting partner, John also, has a scope mounting system that levels the rifle, then parallels the scope to bore, and has a grid to align the cross hairs so they are a cross, not an X. We know the scope shoots good on my 25-35 Ruger. We know the 250 shoots good. The PO John sent me pics of tiny holes he shot.

Randy was thinking the 100 grain Remingtons were too short for the 1:10 twist, the opposite of too long for a slow twist? But, I didn’t think it worked that way?

Joe, what is your 25-35 Ruger? I didn't know they ever made something in that caliber, but I am most likely having a senior moment on this.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cotis
huh.., So You think the leupold one-piece base is bad somehow? All of them, or just some? (like the Weaver #14 aluminum bases that were bored wrong?)

Great story of stick-to-itivness, and gentlemanly follow-through! Thanks for sharing Joe
Don’t know Jeff, I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about that mount? It’s the only one I’ve had? My hunting partner, John also, has a scope mounting system that levels the rifle, then parallels the scope to bore, and has a grid to align the cross hairs so they are a cross, not an X. We know the scope shoots good on my 25-35 Ruger. We know the 250 shoots good. The PO John sent me pics of tiny holes he shot.

Randy was thinking the 100 grain Remingtons were too short for the 1:10 twist, the opposite of too long for a slow twist? But, I didn’t think it worked that way?

Joe, what is your 25-35 Ruger? I didn't know they ever made something in that caliber, but I am most likely having a senior moment on this.

You are on the ball. A close friend and old member her, 7X57steve had it custom made on a Ruger #3. When he passed I bought it from the family, they still had the 375 Win barrel it came with and gave that to me also. It is minute of squirrel eye.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cotis

You are on the ball. A close friend and old member her, 7X57steve had it custom made on a Ruger #3. When he passed I bought it from the family, they still had the 375 Win barrel it came with and gave that to me also. It is minute of squirrel eye.

Awesome!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmmm. What were the weather/temperature/humidity conditions when you test fired the rifle, Joe? Compare that to Florida shooting conditions and perhaps there's your answer - fore end swelling/contracting a skinch and resulting impingement (or lack thereof) on barrel thus effecting accuracy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 99guy

I don't think the 100 grains were too short. I just think with that 1-10 twist longer bullet would most likely shoot better than shorter ones. Not?

I shot about a 1/2" group with my 25-06 the same day so I don't think it was me. Something was amiss.

I don't see any way the 10" twist is the problem. I have no problem whatsoever shooting small groups with bullets even shorter than that out of a 10" twist barrel.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

I don't think the 100 grains were too short. I just think with that 1-10 twist longer bullet would most likely shoot better than shorter ones. Not?

I shot about a 1/2" group with my 25-06 the same day so I don't think it was me. Something was amiss.

I don't see any way the 10" twist is the problem. I have no problem whatsoever shooting small groups with bullets even shorter than that out of a 10" twist barrel.

I didn't say you couldn't shoot good groups with short bullets out of a 1-10 twist.

What I said is, and what I think is, all things being equal, in general, with a 1-10 twist, longer bullets may shoot better than shorter ones.

My 25-06 is a 1-10 twist, it shoots bug holes with 117 Interlocks.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm of the opinion that a 10" twist isn't over doing it at all with 100 grain bullets at 250 Savage speeds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somehow this conversation got sidetracked.

The gun was all over the place that day and it didn't have anything to do with the twist or the bullets.

There was another Gremlin in the woodpile.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There was another Gremlin in the woodpile.

Agree 100%

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I agree. It is theoretically possible for a bullet to "overstabilize", which means its tail would never catch up with the tip, but I have never seen it in practice. I have shot 87 grain bullets in a 25-35 with 8" twist with decent accuracy.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I was leaning to the base. All I've ever heard of the Leupold one piece was good. But, I haven't shot my 300 R in years because I couldn't get it to shoot as well as I thought it should, and I have plenty of good shooters to play with, so it just sits till I get a bug to work with it. I pulled that base off the 300, and now the 250 isn't shooting up to par. I know the Leupold 1.5X5 is good, Gary and I were picking pebbles on the berm and plucking them off. He'd pick one for me, I'd pick one for him.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hmmmm. What were the weather/temperature/humidity conditions when you test fired the rifle, Joe? Compare that to Florida shooting conditions and perhaps there's your answer - fore end swelling/contracting a skinch and resulting impingement (or lack thereof) on barrel thus effecting accuracy.

Typical nice WV weather. I know people that keep logs of weather, humidity, barometric reassure, etc (Probably you). But, to punch quarter size holes at 50 starting out is acceptable for me. We couldn't do that, and if I remember correctly, the group kept moving. First thought would be scope/mounts moving, but every screw was torqued, then we took it back in and retorqued every thing. I'm going to slap a set of Weavers on it and see what happens? Heading up to WV in the next couple of days.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.