Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Reba Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am wondering how this past winter will/has effected the unland bird populations? (quail, phesant, sharptail, huns, chukar, grouse)

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
It can't have done them any good. We have some birds around still and the question will be what kind of nesting and hatching season we get.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's the deal we have in southwestern Montana right now. Some birds survived--but the moisture from the snow resulted in plenty of good nesting cover. We'll know more later in the summer....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We should have a good chukar hatch and survival if the cold rains stop soon. With a wet winter and spring there is a lot of feed in the early green-up, and I'm seeing a lot of grasshoppers.

Without the grasshoppers chukar starve in late summer and early fall. We ran into numerous scattered small coveys of young birds late last fall and early winter, so the brood stock will be younger and more productive hens. Cold rain around nesting and hatching times kill the hens on the nests.

It's up to the rest of this spring's weather.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arizona had a wet winter and spring, as evidenced by the wildflower bloom in the deserts. I am hopeful for a good Gambels quail crop this fall. Mearns rely more on summer rains for brooding, so we shall see what this summer brings.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I went out in the country this morning and things are quite green here. Should be hens on nests right now; I saw no hens at all this morning. Plenty of bugs out there, the small grain is coming nicely. So far so good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very wet spring so far, if we’re going to have birds they’ll have to come from the second hatch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Was very warm and dry in south central BC this spring. Saw two chukar coveys with the chicks already flying this morning. And blue grouse chick flying yesterday....so looking good so far as long as the fires don't get going locally.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm involved in a project where there are a bunch of sharptail hens wearing tracking transmitters in western Montana. We should know in a month their nesting success rate and brood survival.

I'm hearing from NE Montana (Plentywood) that it has been very wet and cool, and farmers are seeing pheasants courting again, and gray partridge pairs in the roadsides, suggesting some portion of the first hatch has failed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn’t expecting much this spring. However, it seems I’ve seen about the same amount of strutting roosters FWTW, and if the present weather pattern is any indication, the chicks will seem to miss any cold wet weather for awhile as our lawn already looks like we are in in late July.

Showers predicted for tomorrow. Here’s hoping..

IC B3

Reba Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
[quote=GrouseChaser]I'm involved in a project where there are a bunch of sharptail hens wearing tracking transmitters in western Montana. We should know in a month their nesting success rate and brood survival.

Is your study West of I -15?

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Reba
[quote=GrouseChaser]I'm involved in a project where there are a bunch of sharptail hens wearing tracking transmitters in western Montana. We should know in a month their nesting success rate and brood survival.

Is your study West of I -15?

Yes.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We've had some hot weather this week but some really good rains also. Lots of bugs out there, I'd say things are looking good here

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Regions 5 and 7 in Montana are forecast for 1-5 inches of rain thru this Sunday. Yikes!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Huge general rain across the pheasant belt today. Major lift for pheasants I'd think.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Huge general rain across the pheasant belt today. Major lift for pheasants I'd think.

Curious- why would a "huge general rain" at peak of first hatch be a major lift for pheasants?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rain makes Bugs. Bugs are protein and Pheasant Chicks need protein to thrive.

Last edited by battue; 06/25/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Rain makes Bugs. Bugs are protein and Pheasant Chicks need protein to thrive.
I'm sure he understands that, and wasn't why he asked the question but rather that rain-soaked newly hatched chicks might not get to take advantage of the insect bloom. Just as I'm sure you understood what he's pointing out.

Is mid-June when hatching peaks in the pheasant belt? At what age can chicks tolerate being wet?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s why they nest under the Hen until they can regulate their own body temperature. That may take a couple weeks under normal temps.

A general rain doesn’t flood the nest and the Hen keeps them warm and dry.

Without the rain, they’ll stay warm, but they won’t thrive.

Last edited by battue; 06/25/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,524
Posts18,452,784
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.