Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Got a new Winchester Mod 70 6.5 Cm super grade end of year. Couldn't resist it. But trigger too heavy. Went to adjust, but it had some kind of hard goop around the adjusting screw. Never have seen this,, a lawyer thing? Ordered a Timney.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it a MOA trigger or the old style?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just a dab of glue or sealant to prevent unwanted movement. Clean it off enough to get to the screw and rock on. I think they do it to prove it was adjusted after factory to protect them in case something goes bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a gunsmith here, but I've been thru this exact exercise. Got the Timmy - it has a FLAT trigger shoe. Other Timney's I have (M700 and M77) do not have this abhorrent feature. Not what I want on a hunting rifle. Went back to the MOA trigger. Mine breaks under 3# - it's just not very crisp.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Not sure what the MOA looks like, nothing in the literature mentions it. The sealant is very hard.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Creekside0423
Not sure what the MOA looks like, nothing in the literature mentions it. The sealant is very hard.

I understand that finding a picture of said trigger in the day and age of the Internet is pretty complicated. smirk

Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Is it a MOA trigger or the old style?

OP said is was a new Win M70 - they don't put the old style on new guns.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My BACO M70 had that sealant on the trigger, a few minutes with a small pick and problem solved.
Adjusted it to where I wanted. Went hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An aftermarket spring can make change an "okay" MOA trigger into an excellent trigger.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you must keep the MOA trigger, Ernie has a cheap spring that seems to work. http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i170.html

Otherwise replace it with a Timney. The flat triggers have grown on me.

Medics bury their mistakes..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Got a new Winchester Mod 70 6.5 Cm super grade end of year. Couldn't resist it. But trigger too heavy. Went to adjust, but it had some kind of hard goop around the adjusting screw. Never have seen this,, a lawyer thing? Ordered a Timney.

I guess if you can't figure out how to remove a little dab of glue and loosen the screw, the Timney was made for you? It's a total lateral move though. All the MOA trigger needs is a spring from erniethegunsmith. Are you going to take it to a smith so he can replace the trigger for you. It may be a mechanical challenge...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Tale a very tiny hex wrench (allen), heat the tip, stick it in the glue, back out the screw. The heat will remove the glue and you can then use the screw for what it's meant for. I've done several of them that way. Timney has the X-Bolt trigger shoe...not to my taste but YMMV. One thing about the Ernie spring: you still might not get down below 3 lbs. If you're looking for lighter than what Erne gives you, or if you want to try to use the existing spring before buying the Ernie, just remove one-half coil from the spring, put it back in and try it. If it's still not light enough, take off take off another half coil. You should be done. If removing the coil makes it too light, then just use the screw to increase the pull weight. It's a pretty easy fix. All mine sit right at 2.5 lbs., and I can take them below 2 lbs just by adjusting the screw.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice looking rifles, by the way. Congratulations.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for all. Ordered Ernies spring. After breaking off goop, trigger adjusted nicely. Appreciate all the inputs.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Yes, I like the trigger pull on the lighter side, maybe 2.5. Returned the Timney.

Last edited by Creekside0423; 05/29/23.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Have put Timneys and Triggertechs on. Trigger jobs on several revolvers. I'm certainly a novice, but I do all my work. This site is great for all you experts to provide us with guidance and understanding.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Put In Ernies spring. Now it's very good at about 2#, just where I like it.
Thanks all for the advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you remove the Locktite or whatever, be sure to put a weather proof Locktite back on the screw.
One reason may be so that the manufacture can prove its been adjusted. I believe the main reason is so that the screw is keep from moving.
If it moves, you could have a rifle that fires when you don’t want or expect it.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/10/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.