Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/16/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Time to lower those objectives and print more money... I mean tags.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I may not get a cow tag in unit 4 this year.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Seems like a good time to throw wolves into the mix.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 26 preference points for elk and didn't even try for the Unit 2 tag.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aviator
I may not get a cow tag in unit 4 this year.

After talking to a couple of CODOW in Steamboat and Meeker, if I was betting prob not. I didn't even apply for GMU 4 for that reason.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have nothing against tag numbers being reduced. Mother Nature had her say this winter and the moisture is appreciated. Be great if it it was the out of state tags that were cut, but, but, but, a $700 tag is a lot of money to lose. The area has been significantly overrun with hunters for a long time now, 40% less hunters isn't a bad thing.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I have nothing against tag numbers being reduced. Mother Nature had her say this winter and the moisture is appreciated. Be great if it it was the out of state tags that were cut, but, but, but, a $700 tag is a lot of money to lose. The area has been significantly overrun with hunters for a long time now, 40% less hunters isn't a bad thing.

No cuts to OTC tags though. NR's will pick them up instead and then bitch about no elk. Residents like me will bitch about the poor wildlife management or lack there of by CPW. I will be going though, mostly for the fall camping trip.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

No cuts to OTC tags though. NR's will pick them up instead and then bitch about no elk. Residents like me will bitch about the poor wildlife management or lack there of by CPW. I will be going though, mostly for the fall camping trip.

I think this is spot on for both residents and nonres.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CPW sent out an email yesterday saying tags in the NW area have been drastically reduced. It's one week before they supposed to drawn. I've personally known that tags were going to be reduced thanks to many people here and I'm fine with it. Kinda. I'm fine with it from the standpoint it's good for the wildlife. No issues there. I'm not fine with it from the standpoint that most of the general public did not receive this information until a week before the lottery. Like seriously WTF? This is like putting a road closed sign up directly in front of a missing bridge and the nearest detour is 30 miles behind you. It does zero good to have the information at that point. Tell me earlier so I can adjust my plans accordingly. They knew in March the winter was bad. I, as well as thousands of other people, could have adjusted our first pick for tags to another unit and it would have been a win win. Animals get to recover, and I get a chance at a drawn tag in another unit. Now, it's just a wasted first pick...and yes I know, I get a PP - so does everyone else, so it really means nothing. We all will have +1 point for next year. And for which seasons they are reducing tags...and out of state vs. in state, that's whole different set of disgustingness.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Their excuse was it had to pass thru the CPW Commissioner first on May 1 I think it was. Still, bulletins were sent out earlier, but as you mentioned only a week before the deadline to apply. I emailed them as soon as I heard about it and they said OTC tags would not be affected.Only 1st season, 4th and any late hunts.

They knew darn well early,but they were not going to advertise strongly because then they would lose license sales.

I am in the same boat, as I sent my application in a few weeks before the deadline Being 80years old, I am not interested in points

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It was up to a 40% reduction, now I think it's 10 cow tags total.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

They stated they had to keep the minimum to accommodate youth and a couple other groups

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I drew a tag for unit 214. Hopefully some elk around there this fall.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

They stated they had to keep the minimum to accommodate youth and a couple other groups

That makes no sense. They always tout the fact that herd management is driven by the science, not politics.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CPW is just protecting their revenue stream. Go read up on what an “Enterprise Agency” entails. It’s about the money and their jobs.

I’m just glad to be able to go hunt elk with friends that I don’t usually see apart from elk hunting. There have been years in the past that I failed to draw deer tags and season that I didn’t get an elk, but I went hunting in the Rockies with friends and that matters. Our original crew from around 2005 is down to 2 but we have 5 “new” regulars and that’s good!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m just glad to be able to go hunt elk with friends that I don’t usually see apart from elk hunting. There have been years in the past that I failed to draw deer tags and season that I didn’t get an elk, but I went hunting in the Rockies with friends and that matters. Our original crew from around 2005 is down to 2 but we have 5 “new” regulars and that’s good!

I know exactly how you feel, my long term hunting buddy, who I really miss hunting with, can't go anymore, the other had been taking treatments for cancer and is pretty weak and that looks marginal. My brother who hunted with me for years passed away last fall.

I am just barely hanging on myself, but did draw a deer tag and a ML cow tag

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/03/23.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Couldn’t have typed it better, myself.

Originally Posted by WAM

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.