Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looking at picking up some new glass. Have used 10 power Swaro SLC in the past. I have passed those binos on to my son.

In the price range that the Swaro EL will cost is there anything comparable or more recommended? These seem to be rocksolid and widely used and no negative reviews or opinions about the EL.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
One more question, are there different years and variations? I’m looking at a new model but if I find something used in an 8.5 or 10 power are there years where major upgrades were made with coatings etc.?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 8.5 x42 EL. haven't found anything better for my needs

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have Els and picked up a pair of 10x42 Meopta Mostar HDs. I am impressed with the quality of these compared to the Els. They aren't at the same level, but pretty damn close to my eyes.

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
EL's are great. Swarovision (SV) upgrade occurred over 10 years ago. The new NL is now the top of the line with ELSVs below them. Google reviews of them. Most are extremely favorable.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm a big fan of the El SV's but if you can, I'd also look at top offerings from Leica, Zeiss and maybe some of the upper mid[tier models. As you likely know everybody's eyes and face are different so try and get your hands on several to compare..

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good stuff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used Swarovski binoculars from the very first EL to the NL Pure which is what I currently own and use the most. Optically, Swarovski has always been top tier, with Leica and Zeiss claiming nearly equal footing in the optics market.

I started with the 10X42 EL and then looked through the 8.5X42 and immediately switched. They were superb and I didn’t feel that I had lost anything by going to the less power for the gain in exit pupil and optical quality.

I then looked through some Leica Ultra-Vids and was impressed with their optics and how they were smaller in size with the same quality in comparison to the ELs. I didn’t have them long before I went back to the Swarovski EL as the Leica binoculars weren’t as easy to use with glasses as the Swarovski was.

Then I tried the Leica Ultra-Vid in the compact 8X20 and they were exceptional and I had no issues with using them with eyeglasses. I kept them for years until I got the EL 8X32 which became my favorite set of binoculars.

I had the original 10X42 EL rangefinding binoculars and used them for rifle hunting season and ranging prairie dogs. When they came out with the Swarovision in the rangefinder, I got those and still have them for the same applications.

Throughout the years, I have had every model of Swarovski and Leica binoculars and rangefinding binoculars and have been most satisfied with Swarovski. I probably wouldn’t have the EL Swarovision rangefinders if I didn’t already have them when I upgraded from the EL 8X32 to the NL Pure.

If I was without any optics, and decided to just get one pair, I would get the 8X32 NL pure and the Leica CRF Rangemaster 2400 and feel I had the best combination short of the rangefinding binoculars in addition to the 8X32 NL. I use the NL Pure 80% of the time as they are superb glass and are much smaller to carry around than the full sized 10X42’s…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I own non- Swarovision EL 8.5x42 and the Swarovision EL12x50. Also have some older SLC 10x42. I could hunt the rest of my days with any of them.

I’ve spent a lot of time comparing these to Leica and Zeiss of similar vintage. Everyone’s eyes are different. Colors pop more in Zeiss and Leica but I find the ELs are brighter so I’ve stuck with them. If I were hunting where slight color variations mattered, I’d probably have Zeiss. Leica seem to split the difference between Zeiss and Swarovski to my eyes.

Optic coatings have come a very long ways. I was stunned comparing non-Swarovision EL 8.5x42 with my SLCs to see how much greater detail was visible even with lower magnification. The Swarovision stepped it up considerably. I can offer nothing on the Pures….Ive avoided looking through them…as I’m spending my optics budget on rifle scopes and thermals these days.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Shrapnel and elkaddict, those were lengthy detailed posts and very helpful. I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer so thoroughly and personally. Articles and youtube reviews are helpful, but cannot take the place of these personal field experiences that happen over long periods of time in real world situations. So I appreciate the information so much.

I always get so much out of these discussions here on the fire.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Although I will say I’m thoroughly impressed that no major debate has gotten triggered on this thread yet!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed, they are pretty dang close and built like a tank.

Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Have Els and picked up a pair of 10x42 Meopta Mostar HDs. I am impressed with the quality of these compared to the Els. They aren't at the same level, but pretty damn close to my eyes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my 8.5x42 ELs in 2005/6. Its one piece of pricy gear I never regretted buying. When or if I upgrade I will go with Swaros in NL or EL.
I am warming up to idea of RFBs but my Leica rangefinder I bought in 2005 just keeps full filling my rangefinding needs flawlessly. I’m think I have a great set of binos and I am scared to look thru the newer swaros , might be costly.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve used 10/32 ELs for about 15 years. I’m not an expert, but have looked through most of the other high end optics, albeit in stores, not out in the mountains.
I have not found better, though Leica is close.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I’ll chime in. As others have noted, Swaro is right at the very top along with Leica, Zeiss and some Nikon products. Meopta and several others are close to the top, but it all depends on your eyes, face and personal preference. I went into my local shop almost twenty years ago intent on buying Swaro 8.5x42 ELs as several of my hunting buddies had those. This is a well equipped store and the manager recommended I try Leica and Zeiss along with the Swaro SLC. It came down to the 8.5x42 EL vs the 8x42 Ultravid. He let me take both home for the weekend. I ended up preferring the saturated colors and contrast of the Leica and own them to this day.

I’m a member of birdforum.com which has a very good binoculars section. You might check it out. Bottom line, these are all, absolute top of the line optics, but each line has a slight trade off. Some see bothersome veiling glare in Swaros, most don’t notice it. For some the Leicas have too much CA, color aberration, others don’t notice it. Swaros flat field is sharp edge to edge, but panning show’s rolling ball effect, not an issue for most, but a deal breaker for some.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I have recently been doing the binocular shuffle. The Swaro EL’s are very good and I would be completely satisfied owning them. NL Pures are not in the same price bracket but to my eyes, they are amazing. No, I can not afford them…yet.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any conversation about quality binos needs to include the Meopta Meostar line. Excelelnt low light visibilty, quality built and outstanding quality control. I use their 8x32 and 12X50 Meostar B1 Plus binos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 8x42 SLC's - hard to imagine a better image. I am tempted though by the huge FOV of new NL's though.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by centershot
I use 8x42 SLC's - hard to imagine a better image. I am tempted though by the huge FOV of new NL's though.

Because there is not a better image in that lineup , the NL's are probably marginally better optically but a huge FOV is a good thing as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had Leupold 10 x 42 Porro Prism for a very long time after my wife bought them for a birthday present. At the time they were the top of the line Leupold offerings and I was quite satisfied with them for at least 20 years. However, as my eyes get older I find I needed a bit more to make the most of my hunting outings and other uses for glass. I've had the opportunity to use friends' Zeiss Classics, Leica, and some Swarovski SLC and all of them were great but barely above my Leupolds in the end. However, I had a chance to look through some Swaro ELs and fell in love with them. For my eyes they were incredibly clear and easy to manage. Edge to Edge clarity is amazing. I was able to pick up the 10 x 42 Els for a decent price used from a guy who needed the money to buy the ranging version of the same glass a couple years ago and I have been very happy with them. They are substantially heavier than my Leupolds, which could be an issue for some but I don't find it to be a problem and it seems to help me steady them .

A couple things I have found over the years with hunting buddies- everyone's eyes are different so look at as many good glass as you can before plunking down your money. No matter what you buy in Alpha glass you probably won't lose much selling them to buy another brand, but it is a pain changing glass often. Also, my son tried my Leupold binos and they didn't fit his eye width well- which I thought was weird but since have had others have this issue. My Swaros don't suffer from this with my buddies who have tried them, but something to look for. Last thing I can think of- focus adjustments are handled differently by each manufacturer. Find one that works well and easily for you. I liked my buddie's Zeiss Classic glass a lot and part of it was the location and ease of use of the focus adjustment. My other buddie's Leica were just the opposite- it seemed the focus ring was always in the wrong spot for quick adjustment for me.

Have fun- the shopping is the fun part. I'm sure everyone will tell you but never judge glass inside the store. Take several units outside and try them side by side...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.