Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, so for over a year, this shop has had this 1940 winchester model 70 30-06 for sale. When I first saw it, they were asking $1,100.00 for it. I told them their price was too dang high. Every time I visited the shop, I would look at the rifle. This is a rifle I've mentioned to you guys in different threads.

It's been drilled and tapped on the rear bridge, stock has been cut to allow for the recoil pad, unoriginal rear sight, and the bolt handle was ground on, for scope clearance. It was just not worth the investment of $1,100.00, as you can see from the pictures:

pre war model 70 30 govt.

Now, when I was back there in February, the shop owner threw out this wild offer to me. He said, "$650 and you can take it home!!". I almost bit on the deal, but would only be buying it as a project rifle. The way I saw it, was it would give me something to do in the cold winter months here, when I was not shooting. Well, I passed on that deal.

As shown in the GB ad, they ended up selling it for $874 minus $30.00 for shipping and other fees. They did end up making a little more than what they offered it to me for, but just barely. Now, I generally don't buy guns to sell them, but you guys know I buy guns at great deals. This was one of the borderline good deals I've seen when out and about. Just thought I'd share this one with you. Have a great weekend and be safe out there!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If I recall the documented activities of BSA - is it possible this is the gun you were on the way to purchase, but did not get all the way there and purchased 2 other ones that jumped in front of you that day? Good times heh?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If that rifle had been offered to me for $650. it certainly would have gone home with me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Burr
If I recall the documented activities of BSA - is it possible this is the gun you were on the way to purchase, but did not get all the way there and purchased 2 other ones that jumped in front of you that day? Good times heh?

Yes sir. That is the one.. ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I feel like I would have passed at 650 also. Its worth the 875 to a guy with a project in mind, but to sit around until I came up with one, no thanks. I have enough [bleep] like that around here.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know it’s blasphemous but for 650, it would’ve went straight to JES to become a 338-06 or 35 Whelen and fitter with a good glass stock. Done deal.

Hate me later grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I feel like that is a perfectly fitting end for this rifle.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Agreed on the .35 Whelen rebore, that's what I did with a tired .30-06 Super Grade 30+ years ago. I sent my rifle to Randall Redman for the rebore, it has been my whitetail rifle for many years now. I shoot it year 'round with cast bullets and pistol bullets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I know it’s blasphemous but for 650, it would’ve went straight to JES to become a 338-06 or 35 Whelen and fitter with a good glass stock. Done deal.

Hate me later grin

That would have been cool man.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
bsa1917hunter: That butchered and abused Rifle would NEVER entice me - let alone bring what it "REPORTEDLY" sold for on gunbreaker!
BEWARE of gunbreaker at EVERY turn!
Scams of every kind abound there.
I attended and participated in a gunshow today (as I will tomorrow and the next day) and pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in better condition than that turd sold for similar money.
I simply do NOT participate in gunbreaker auctions and advise all, I can, to do the same -WAY, WAY, WAY to many of my guntrading friends and partners of mine have been scammed on that venue over the years.
Face to face is the way to enjoy your pre-64 Winchester Model 70 purchases.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
bsa1917hunter: That butchered and abused Rifle would NEVER entice me - let alone bring what it "REPORTEDLY" sold for on gunbreaker!
I attended and participated in a gunshow today (as I will tomorrow and the next day) and pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in better condition than that turd sold for similar money.
I simply do NOT participate in gunbreaker auctions and advise all, I can, to do the same -WAY, WAY, WAY to many of my guntrading friends and partners of mine have been scammed on that venue over the years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I know you love to bad mouth GB. If you and your buddies have gotten scammed like you say you have, then that is on you. As with most things that you spew, I don't believe your bs. Keep spouting off into the wind.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Absolutely.

Gunbroker is nothing but a scam. I am in full agreement and advise all the same as you have just done.

Hold into the competition

AkGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have to agree with VG and AKGuy. GB is a bad place to do business.

Even worse is RIA.

I find something I want to buy every frizzing' day without futtzin' around wasting my time watching auctions.

Cisco

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I know you love to bad mouth GB. If you and your buddies have gotten scammed like you say you have, then that is on you. As with most things that you spew, I don't believe your bs. Keep spouting off into the wind.

This. If you do your homework GB is fine.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mike S,

Stay with GB.....then I won't have to compete with you ....on legitimate items.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cisco1
Mike S,

Stay with GB.....then I won't have to compete with you ....on legitimate items.
Are you left handed? Probably not. I have found several left handed unicorns on GB that didn’t exist anyplace else and never felt I was taken. Your post is more about you then me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have used gunbroker quite a bit. Haven’t really had any issues whatsoever.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
GB is the right place for left-handed chit-grabbers!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This. If you do your homework GB is fine.

Man, I've bought many rifles from gunbroker and sold a few there. I have never had any issues. Knock on wood, I guess? The link I posted was a legitimate sale, as I talked to the gunshop directly. He said no issues at all, selling the gun. The buyer did fine on the deal as well. Not as good as the deal I was offered at $650, but fine nonetheless. Wonder if AK can fill us in on the trouble he's had with GB? I think varmintguy likes to muddy up some threads with his lies, and that's one thing I don't care for is dishonesty!!!

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My post was heavily TIC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.