Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BulletBud
I used Global Rescue for my first five safaris in Namibia and never filed a claim. When I attempted to sign up with them in July 2022, they declined coverage because I turned 75 in June. Screw them- I signed up with Ripcord and had no problem getting coverage.
They implying you an old fart?

I, too, resemble that remark.

Hmm…

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by K_P
I'm heading to the Limpopo district on my first safari this coming June. It's a plains game hunt--nothing particularly frightening or dangerous. The country looks pretty similar to eastern Montana, and I'm not going to be too far out of Lephalale (population 17,600.)

I've consulted with my health insurance company and found that my insurance is good for international travel, but I'll (obviously) be looking at out of network provider rates. It's also been made clear to me by my PH and travel agent that SA hospitals expect to be paid up front.

I'm wondering if MedJet or Global Rescue is overkill when I'm not in truly remote Africa. Are there other options for basic short term emergency medical care?

TIA,

KP

One thing you won't find in Eastern Montana, is a puff adderand I just saw a 5-6ft puff adder in South Africa. John Sharp was bitten in a finger by a puff adder and nearly lost an arm. In addition to snakes, there are insects and diseases we don't have in NA. Better to have more insurance, than not enough.

Had he not picked it up it probably would have not bit him, but then John is like Chuck Norris, the snake probably apologized.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jdollar
I think medivac insurance is unnecessary in your case but travel health insurance might be a good idea. Sort of depends on your credit card spending limit. Yes, hospitals expect immediate payment but treatments for anything are MUCH cheaper than here. I only buy medivac insurance when I’m going way off the grid

This, and then make certain medivac can really come get you, if you are really remote and expect them to come get you in an emergency where time is of the essence, you may very well be disappointed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used both Global Recue and Ripcord. Thankfully I've never had to use their services. Most recently used Ripcord for a Mozambique trip and plan to use them in the future.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Also, there is a difference between medivac and travel medical insurance……One gets you home but doesn’t necessarily cover in country medical costs. Read your policy carefully.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Also, there is a difference between medivac and travel medical insurance……One gets you home but doesn’t necessarily cover in country medical costs. Read your policy carefully.

Hey Covtard, you still standing in line for those boosters? What a freaking clownshow you are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m trying to give helpful advice based on personal experience. You are just being an [bleep]…… I wonder which one is more likely to help the OP?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by K_P
I'm heading to the Limpopo district on my first safari this coming June. It's a plains game hunt--nothing particularly frightening or dangerous. The country looks pretty similar to eastern Montana, and I'm not going to be too far out of Lephalale (population 17,600.)

I've consulted with my health insurance company and found that my insurance is good for international travel, but I'll (obviously) be looking at out of network provider rates. It's also been made clear to me by my PH and travel agent that SA hospitals expect to be paid up front.

I'm wondering if MedJet or Global Rescue is overkill when I'm not in truly remote Africa. Are there other options for basic short term emergency medical care?

TIA,

KP

One thing you won't find in Eastern Montana, is a puff adderand I just saw a 5-6ft puff adder in South Africa. John Sharp was bitten in a finger by a puff adder and nearly lost an arm. In addition to snakes, there are insects and diseases we don't have in NA. Better to have more insurance, than not enough.

Had he not picked it up it probably would have not bit him, but then John is like Chuck Norris, the snake probably apologized.

IIRC from his book, he tried to use a short stick to guide the adder back into the trail so that Mrs Wilbur Smith could get a better photo. He should have used a longer stick, or left it alone. Fortunately Wilbur Smith was a pilot and had his own plane nearby. He flew John to the nearest major hospital in Zimbabwe. He was then transferred to Johannesburg and I believe on to a third hospital where he received specialized treatment that saved his finger/arm.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m trying to give helpful advice based on personal experience. You are just being an [bleep]…… I wonder which one is more likely to help the OP?

You'll be the first coward in line to give up your guns too when the libtards tell you too. You're just a big pussy and obvious stupidasss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You'll be the first coward in line to give up your guns too when the libtards tell you too. You're just a big pussy and obvious stupidasss.

It never fails. Some jackass troll with a political agenda and nothing constructive to add to the conversation always shows up to pollute an otherwise enjoyable read. The 27K posts tips him off as a probable loser with nothing better to do than troll threads he isn't welcome in. Either that or he is already 10 beers into a 12 pack of Bud Light. Go back under your bridge troll.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It’s nothing new. Brother raider has been trolling me for years on 2 different website. I try to give helpful advice based on personal experience, he launches personal attacks for whatever “reason” that is totally unrelated to the topic at hand.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s nothing new. Brother raider has been trolling me for years on 2 different website. I try to give helpful advice based on personal experience, he launches personal attacks for whatever “reason” that is totally unrelated to the topic at hand.

You're a lying sackoschitttt and you know it.....how was this good advice?

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

You can’t fix stupid.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 99guy

It never fails. Some jackass troll with a political agenda and nothing constructive to add to the conversation always shows up to pollute an otherwise enjoyable read. The 27K posts tips him off as a probable loser with nothing better to do than troll threads he isn't welcome in. Either that or he is already 10 beers into a 12 pack of Bud Light. Go back under your bridge troll.

99....it's a good idea to know what you're talking about before you spout of some dumbasss comment that makes you look like a complete idiot. If you believe this jdollar covart, fraud, you've got some intelligence issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JGR, about a year ago I suggested that you just get over it, but apparently that's a suggestion not realized.

I do not know anything about jdollar from a professional POV, however, most every doctor that was pushing the mRNA shot have reconsidered their position after all the facts started pouring in. Many doctors were forced to make a decision to either retain their job and push the shot or question the wisdom of pushing a treatment that bypassed all safety protocols including Phase III clinical trials and lose their career.

It would be interesting to engage jdollar in a discussion regarding his opinions now that the facts are known. Again, just a suggestion you can choose to ignore.

Anyhow, carry on...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

99....it's a good idea to know what you're talking about before you spout of some dumbasss comment that makes you look like a complete idiot. If you believe this jdollar covart, fraud, you've got some intelligence issues.

WTF does any of that BS that you just typed above have to do with getting sick or hurt in Africa and what insurance you should have?

You are just another douche bag with an agenda that nobody here cares about.

Read the room.

Azzhoe.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think medivac insurance is unnecessary in your case but travel health insurance might be a good idea. Sort of depends on your credit card spending limit. Yes, hospitals expect immediate payment but treatments for anything are MUCH cheaper than here. I only buy medivac insurance when I’m going way off the grid

+1. Good advice. I get med jet insurance when I’m hunting dangerous game in Zimbabwe or Mozambique. For plains game in RSA, I’d skip it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
JGR, about a year ago I suggested that you just get over it, but apparently that's a suggestion not realized.

I do not know anything about jdollar from a professional POV, however, most every doctor that was pushing the mRNA shot have reconsidered their position after all the facts started pouring in. Many doctors were forced to make a decision to either retain their job and push the shot or question the wisdom of pushing a treatment that bypassed all safety protocols including Phase III clinical trials and lose their career.

It would be interesting to engage jdollar in a discussion regarding his opinions now that the facts are known. Again, just a suggestion you can choose to ignore.

Anyhow, carry on...

He won't, he's a coward and a fraud. I'm not one to let these covtard vax pusher's off the hook as they ruined lots of lives and livelihoods. You apparently are.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/25/23.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

WTF does any of that BS that you just typed above have to do with getting sick or hurt in Africa and what insurance you should have?

You are just another douche bag with an agenda that nobody here cares about.

Azzhoe.

I'll never apologize for a good covtard bashing. You'll just have to get over it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BulletBud
I used Global Rescue for my first five safaris in Namibia and never filed a claim. When I attempted to sign up with them in July 2022, they declined coverage because I turned 75 in June. Screw them- I signed up with Ripcord and had no problem getting coverage.

This is concerning, I need to check out Ripcord!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.