Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Am having my morning coffee getting ready to look for buffalo.

Several days ago absolutely demolished one with a single 375 250 TTSX. For those interested in such it left the muzzle at 2800. Hit the buffalo at around 110 yard. Broke bone on way in and then hit the heart lungs. They looked like they had been through a blender. The buffalo went 28 paces.

Penetration. Did not fully penetrate which I prefer since they are herd animals and I don’t want to hit a secondary animal. That said, the penetration was into opposite chest wall.

This was #13. Previously have used the 270 TSX on all except the first. I can’t imagine better performance.
Am going to look for more today.

My experience is that hit well with the first shot they run 25 to 90 yards and kaput. The bull taken before I arrived was poorly hit and required 9 shots from the two PH’s who followed it. It made two attempts to charge them. Buffalo rodeo.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
BP-B2

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Looking forward to photos 😃

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it right and it's pretty uneventful. Do it wrong and there's a whole lot of running and screaming.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Did any of the 270-grainers exit?

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rick,
Random question but what twist rate are you running on that 375?

IC B2

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John,
Neither of the Barnes 270’s have exited on any buffalo. Same with 250’s.

TX35W
Benchmark 1-10

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John,
Got #14 and #15.

250 TTSX, same load as #13. One shot into heart lung area on each. One ran 100+ yards with a spray of red coming from both nostrils. Then a big crash and done.

Becoming more convinced that buffalo rodeos are the result of anxious hunters making a poor first shot.Then the fusillade begins.

The buffalo hunters motto…patience and discipline for that first shot.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Yeah, that's my conclusion too. Also eventually didn't find a .416 Rigby necessarily dropped them any quicker than a .375 H&H, given the right bullet in the right place.

If I ever hunt buffalo again will use my CZ 9.3x62....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good info. That said, I am in the throes of heading back for buffalo and I suspect that it will be my tweaked 416 Rem M70 shooting my 350 gr TSX handload that worked just fine before. My stainless M70 375 H&H tempts me though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Tim Sundles said that he would never go after buffalo again with a 375, nothing smaller than a 416

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
After watching that "Tracks Across Africa" hunt several months ago where the guy shoots the Buffalo through the heart with the first shot at about 35 yds ( I think) and then another fatal shot right behind it with his 416 & I believe good 350 gr bullets & then it circles back & he shoots it right in the face at about 3 feet & it still throws his buddy 4-5 feet in the air and takes 3-4 more killing shots from the PH, I don't know if there is such a thing as a fatal shot on those Sherman Tanks!! It was quite a video.

Dick

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Update:
I got two more buffaloes for a total this trip of 5.

Summary:
Used .375 250 TSX loaded to 2800 fps. Three were down and out with one well placed shot each. Two were given a second shot because they were thrashing around and we didn’t want them to move into thicker cover. My PH asked for a second shot and I complied but the fight was over regardless.

The two traveled around 28-30 yards. One, which was hit so is to hit the top of the heart and both lungs ran around 125 yards with blood gushing from mouth and nostrils. The difference was that this one knew it was being pursued before the shot.

I am convinced that buffalo that are aroused will exhibit much greater vitality than those that are pretty calm.

Lastly, Kevin Robertson’s Perfect Shot book, can be very misleading. Animals never stand perfectly broadside and level. Same with all plains game.

The best preparation it to spend time at a zoo or around a cattle herd observing and thinking about placement.

I don’t believe a lot of the BS passed around about the need for a bigger cartridge.

Am going to try to get someone to post pictures for me.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mule Deer
I loaded my 375 down rather than acquire a 9.3-62 but I would use it if loaded with the 250 TTSX.

Incidentally still can’t see any difference between the 250 TTSX and the 270 TSX.

A very young PH did give me a long lecture about how he liked the 350 TSX despite never having seen them used on buffalo or anything else. He was convinced they would be much better.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I guess I am missing the preference of the 250 gr over the 270 gr?

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ed
I wanted to try the 250’s for several reasons.

1. I was curious to compare penetration. My experience is that with monos increasing velocity increases penetration. As far as I can see there is comparable penetration. The innards looked like they had been through a blender. My rifle has a 1-10 twist which helps I believe.

2. My 375 is pretty light and the recoil is less with my loads. I have used 270’s at 2800 and those loads have plenty of recoil.

3. I have shot buffalo out to around 180 yards and the tipped bullets hold velocities better. In fact if you believe in energy calculations the 250’s hit harder.

4. The 250’s shoot a little flatter and I have occasionally taken zebra out to around 275 yards so I prefer the trajectory improvements. I use a 270W for plains game but sometimes I have the 375 when something I want shows up. As you know, one never knows what will show up in Africa. I can shoot the 375 much more consistently than anything bigger. With a 416 when you get velocities up around 2600 they are either very brutal to shoot or they are way too heavy to carry.

5. I have occasionally had the non-tipped TSX bullets expand inconsistently whereas the tipped versions are very consistent. I like the 270 LRX as well. If I was using a 416 I would prefer the tipped version which I believe is an LRX.

Last edited by RinB; 05/26/23.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jwp475
Tim Sundles said that he would never go after buffalo again with a 375, nothing smaller than a 416

More buffalo have been killed over the last 110 years with a 375 H&H than any other caliber. Yes, a 416 seems to hurt buffalo more noticeably but thousands of hunters have been proving the worth of the 375 since 1912. There’s a reason it’s still one of the most common and popular calibers carried everywhere across Africa.

I own both and hunt buffalo happily with either one. I think my 416 Hoffman has an edge over my 375 H&H, but I’ll never hesitate to carry the 375 when hunting Mbogo.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 05/26/23.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd lkw to try the 250g ttsx in my 375 ruger. One guide told me to avoid the tipped ones because he's seen the tips break off and jam things up. Last time I hunted Africa I used 260g accubonds for plains game and had no problems with those tips. I believe the ttsx bullets expand more reliably than the tsx and with monos I always prefer lighter weights at higher speeds. I really wNt to go back for buffaloe but my friend and guide over there told me things are getting worse crime wise in his area and he recommended I don't come back until things settle down.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RinB you got me thinking!!!

Buffalo #1 was with 300gr Woodleigh PP from a 375 H&H went about 40yards then down. Buffalo #2 a couple years later gave me a perfect broadside and a single 400gr Woodleigh RN at 2150fps from a 404 Jeffery ended it; ran 30 yards and crashed then let out a sound but didn't sound like a death bellow so we were concerned. But it was dead. Buffalo #3 same trip slightly smaller than #2 but much more battle scarred about 60yard shot slightly quartering away. 3 shots from the 404 Jeffery! First shot was a soft then it ran away then turned looking for us. PH asked me to shoot again. I fired a second shot which was a Woodleigh solid high in shoulder and found in the paunch which brought him down. Then for the third shot I loaded a soft again to finish him at about 10 feet away. We recovered 1 soft and 1 solid, didn't see any exits but we never recovered the other bullet.

I do feel that the 400gr bullet does hit harder, now I'm wondering does it really kill better? Maybe its just that the sound of the impact is more authoritative. Personally, from the recoil point of view a 300gr at 2550fps vs a 400gr at 2150fps - I do prefer to shoot the Jeffery less sharp on the shoulder perhaps a lower recoil velocity and more time to recover. The rifles are within 1 oz in weight of each other.

I'm planning another Buff hunt in 2024 and was planning to bring the 404 J and a 30-06 for plains game but maybe I should just take the 375 H&H and that rifle will do it all.

Regards
JohnT

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JohnT
I do feel that the 400gr bullet does hit harder, now I'm wondering does it really kill better? Maybe its just that the sound of the impact is more authoritative.
JohnT

That's been my experience: The whack of a 400-grain .40-something is louder--even to those of us with "experienced ears." But in general buffalo have gone just as far as bulls shot with a good .375 bullet.

The other thing I've been convinced of for many years is that a lot of hunters equate recoil with "killing power": If the rifle hurts them more, then it also MUST hurt the animal more.....

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I shot my 416 Rem M70 in Zim to confirm sight in my PH was more than happy that I could shoot it well and made clear he well preferred it over a 375 H&H given similar capabilities. He carried a custom 416 Rigby. His Father was the man that led to the infamous "Cecil The Lion" kill... That said with the 350 TSX it worked on plains game well out to 250 yards (kudu) and inside 40 yards (serval).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.