24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
700sa Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone ever elk hunt in Canada? My father is 66 now but still gets around well. We have talked about the rut rifle hunts in the past and are getting a little more serious now. Any info, guides, or recommendations appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by 700sa; 05/27/23.

Morgan Garner
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep with Stone Mountain Safaris outside Toad River in 2008. Not cheap but an experience that I will never forget. I hunted moose as well. Remarkable fly in horseback ten days.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Can recommend Prophet-Muskwa Outfitters as well.

As Ed said, not cheap but an experience I will never forget. Got a moose the first day and a 6x6 elk the last day. (Also saw around 10 grizzlies, including a big one that tried to come in on me and my guide while we were field-butchering the moose. But the horses warned us, and we managed to get the job done.) A great wilderness experience!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
700sa Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you guys for the info. Looks like the populations are good up there but the moose hunting is way more popular than the elk.

Morgan Garner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
700sa;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this Memorial Day Monday finds you well.

Welcome to the 'Fire from the sunny south Okanagan, about a half hour north of the medicine line.

In the Canada section at the top, we've had a bunch of good information collected over the years that some travelling hunters have found useful.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...60/planning-a-hunt-in-canada#Post6042560

If you're headed into BC pretty much anywhere, there's a possibility of either wolves or black bears so you might want to consider budgeting for those tags as well?

Personally I'd like to see every visiting hunter return home with a BC black bear under each arm, dragging a pair of wolves... but I digress.. wink

There's been some pretty big forest fires this year up in the Peace country so that might have an effect on where the outfitters will go or not go. It'll be wonderful hunting in about 2 years however, that's for sure and certain.

Hopefully between the linked thread and some responses here you can get a good start on a hunt.

If you have questions that I might be able to assist with, by all means give me a shout.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

700sa Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank You Mr. Dwayne; I appreciate the link and info! Hope you had a great Memorial Day as well. I’m sure I will have a question or many as we decide as to what we aim to accomplish up in your neck of the woods.

Thanks again.

Morgan

Morgan Garner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
700sa;
Good evening once more Morgan, I still hope you had a good day and thanks for the reply.

While there might be some good elk hunting in the Kootenays, both of the suggestions from Ed M and John Barsness were for the Peace region which is more or less 15 to 20 hours north of us.

We happened to go through that country last summer on our way home from a quick run up to Dawson City, Yukon and back where we did our level best not to drive the same roads twice.

If you end up going up into that country it's quite spectacular really.

Not that some of Alberta, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Colorado or Oregon mountain country isn't pretty and please note I name them because we've traveled somewhat in the mountains there, but the north country is special in a number of ways.

One of the things that struck us, who have lived out here in BC for nearly 40 years is the remote and utterly wild feel that country still has. It's tough to describe even standing there along the highway, much less wandering off of it for a few days, but for us that experience was worth the drive alone.

All the best to you and your father planning your trip wherever it happens to take you.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/29/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,011 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.