Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hello all!
I've come into 1,000 pieces of 223 brass with crimped in primers. I have worked with 308 brass with the crimped in primer in the pat and it seems I remember broken decapping pins. Is this a problem with the 223? Reaming primer pockets? Is this brass worth working with?
Thanks for any tips,
Rick

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used a Lee decapping die to punch out many a crimped in primer without problems. You will have to remove the primer crimps by reaming or swaging.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it's Lake City brass, yes. I haven't had issues with broken pins personally, and I ream the pockets instead of swaggeing..

Starting loads might need to be lower than commercial brass.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Almost all I use. I buy big boxes so I can leave it where it lands when I’m shooting up bunches of pigs.

I use plain old Hornady FL dies, never broke a pin yet. Lube and size. Use VLD chamfer tool to ream crimp out. Seat primer and rock on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hornady makes a dandy little tool you can chuck in a drill and remove the crimp in seconds; costs $10 or $15. Some of the Euro brass has small or off center flash holes and pretty fiercely crimped primers, they still come out, just don't slam them. The Lee universal deprimlng tool is great, but if you have LC brass you shouldn't need one.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use the Lee Universal Decapping Unit, and then picked up a Pocket Swager by Dillon, used from a Texas member for $50.

I have squared away thousands of crimped military primed brass... I get pretty long brass life out of such brass, most military stuff...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standard dies for decapping and I have a Lyman brass prep tool for removing crimps.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Make sure the brass is not some of the newer stuff coming out of Europe. It has a very small flash hole and you will either bend or break your decapper. Lee has new decapping pins that work well. I made new pins for mine that are tool steel and are tapered so they knock out the primer and opens the hole slightly so a regular decapper will work next time.

Or just buy these. Its where I got the idea to make my own. I was bored and have a lathe, and no I don't make stuff for other people.
https://www.squirreldaddy.com/Decapping-pin-s/336.htm

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The RCBS primer pocket swaging tool works well and is inexpensive even if it is slow. Virtually all complaints come from those who haven't taken the time to adjust it properly. Once adjusted right, it never needs to be done again.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
RCBS SB die, just finished doing 1000 rds, no broken pin, ream the pockets

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
RCBS SB die, just finished doing about 1000 rds, no broken pin, ream the pockets

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This makes quick work of removing crimps:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000277

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks everyone! Looks like I need a reamer.
Take care all!
Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
If it's Lake City brass, yes. I haven't had issues with broken pins personally, and I ream the pockets instead of swaggeing..

Starting loads might need to be lower than commercial brass.

Not exactly true.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by devnull
This makes quick work of removing crimps:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000277

I've got two of those... of course I didn't pay $143 for either. I paid $50. for each, used.

and I like depriming with the Universal Decappers. I use Lee's manufactured ones. I keep 3 on hand.

Its not often, but I've broken pins, multiple times on each one of them. I bought them for $10 each new.

I do a lot of handloading, and most of my brass is range pick up. so by the numbers, eventually things break.

Most of it is usually from some sort of Russian or foreign brass sneaks in, with Berdan primers. Will call up LEE and order 5 decapping pins. Shipping costs more than the decapping pins.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Take care all!
Rick

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165253550?pid=253550

Just plan works for $13. Buy an 8-32 coupling nut from the hardware store and chuck it in an electric screwdriver or drill. I bet you can cut out the crimp as fast as any of the swagers.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Take care all!
Rick

Just plan works for $13. Buy an 8-32 coupling nut from the hardware store and chuck it in an electric screwdriver or drill. I bet you can cut out the crimp as fast as any of the swagers.

That is what I did and it is fast.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Take care all!
Rick

There's an advantage to swaging over reaming. Reaming removes a bit of brass and will lead to loose primer pockets sooner than if they were swaged instead.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 05/28/23.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Checking some of my old Ultramax and black hills lake city brass from remanufactured reloads and some have some pretty severe chamfering

Last edited by ruffcutt; 05/28/23.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lotech
The RCBS primer pocket swaging tool works well and is inexpensive even if it is slow. Virtually all complaints come from those who haven't taken the time to adjust it properly. Once adjusted right, it never needs to be done again.

I tried the swaging tool that mounts on your press like a forming die. It was just a waste of money in my humble opinion. I did buy the off press RCBS swager. I mounted it to a board and clamp it to my worktable when I use it. Any pocket that doesn't get fully swaged is easy to find when I use my pocket uniforming tool. It may not be as fast as the Dillion swager but it's head and shoulders above the one that goes into your press.
kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012924654?pid=319662

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.