Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I will be picking up a new rod this winter and could use some solid advice on brands/models to concentrate on.
Current rod is a 15+ year old Reddington 6 wt that will become the backup. The current rod comes up short when trying to make longer casts, say over 60-70' as is sometimes useful in certain situations.
New rod will be used primarily for trout (lakes mostly but not exclusively) and saltwater beach fishing for searun trout and pink salmon. I am thinking a good 9' 2pce rod with a pretty fast action would be good. A fairly durable rod able to take a few knocks and scrapes would be prudent! Also not looking to buy the cheapest or the most expensive kit, rather just a good casting durable rod to see me through a bunch more fishing.

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Echo has several decent models to consider, Fenwick AETOS, Orvis Clearwater to name a few all under around $250.

Lots of improvement in flyrods in 15 years

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest going up to maybe a 7 or 8 wt 10-footer if one wants to get past 60 or 70 ft. I have one of each in Sage blanks that I use for steelhead. A weight forward line and learn to double haul. With good technique one can do those casts with a 6 wt, but things get tougher if one has to fight winds.

If one wants a bit more quality on a budget and is somewhat handy, he might buy a ready to wind kit at about 2/3rds down to maybe 1/2 the price of an assembled rod. I have Sage, Orvis, Meiser, Loomis, and Cabelas rods that I built but could not afford as assembled units. From 6 ft 2 wts up to 16 ft 10 wt Spey rods. Some fly shops sponsor build classes, and with some of their equipment like rod turners and a few pointers, one can do a top-notch custom job.

If one really wants to reach out (like 200 ft), a transition to a two-handed "Switch" rod might be in order. Here's a link to one of the high-end makers. One could take a look at his blanks and kits and something there might float your boat. These are actually shorter Spey rods with a different casting technique, but they will really blast out the line over medium to large water. A couple casting lessons would be in order as it's a bit difficult for us aged single handers to master. Not something that one would cast to shy beaver pond trout, but capable of handling steelhead and salmon.

Meiser link

A more budget minded link

Just an example in the above link. I don't have a dog in the fight, as several other brands/makers offer similar models.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good luck and tight lines,

Last edited by 1minute; 05/28/23.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just my two cents but a 8wt 9ft. Moderate action would be my go to if your going for them bigger fish. I have a 8wt fast action and I have a hard time hooking fish gotta pull the line to get a good hookup on some.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Most trout are 1-2 lbs, the occasional one a couple pounds better than that. Also have smallmouth bass locally to 5+ lbs..
Fishing the beaches pinks are not big but there is always the chance of coho, and wind sometimes does come into play. Thinking a 7-8 wt might make good sense. I don't really like to wear a fish down on a really light rod, too hard to revive them and I almost never keep a fish.
Usual flies are #6-8 beadhead wooly buggers and #6 saltwater flies, with clousers in the mix at times.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Most trout are 1-2 lbs, the occasional one a couple pounds better than that. Also have smallmouth bass locally to 5+ lbs..
Fishing the beaches pinks are not big but there is always the chance of coho, and wind sometimes does come into play. Thinking a 7-8 wt might make good sense. I don't really like to wear a fish down on a really light rod, too hard to revive them and I almost never keep a fish.
Usual flies are #6-8 beadhead wooly buggers and #6 saltwater flies, with clousers in the mix at times.
For me the very act of flycasting with a one handed rod is very relaxing in itself. I'd love to have a rod capable of throwing a fair amount of line when needed.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wow I thought those trout would be bigger I get trout out of Erie 8 to 10lbs. Salmon out of Ontario 8 to 20lbs.

Ever look into a Spey or switch rods.

Last edited by Solitario_Lupo; 05/28/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most trout fishing surely doesn't require 60-70 foot casts; saltwater often does.

Stepping up to a 7 or 8 weight will help with getting distance, easier.

Distance with accuracy is part of what makes more expensive rods more expensive.

The rods I mentioned earlier are good at that price point & will get the job done. If you want to step up into the $5-700 range, take your pick from any of the major brands. They will get the job done a little easier & will be generally more accurate at the longer distance.

Sage & Scott make some great rods in that range; Loomis (much as I love them) only offers an IMX based rod in that range.

If you are willing to step up to that price range IMO, the Scott Wave in an 8 weight is unsurpassed today.

Do some research, read some reviews. The Yellowstone Flyshop is a great resource for reasonably impartial info.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you get into much wind and are looking for distance I would go with a faster action rod. Im not in your area but when I fish saltwater flats or fish for snook on the beach I am generally blind casting and trying to get more distance. I get into more wind out in the open so prefer the power of a faster rod. When fish mangroves or sight fishing I am more likely to pick up a rod that is a bit slower as I get better accuracy with it. Mostly I use is 8wts in faster rods. If I only could bring one rod I would bring a reel with 9wt line or whatever is 1 weight over my rod rating
And that would slow it down a bit for fishing in tight. Thats not ideal but it does work.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with that, too.
Almost hard to find a rod today that isn't pretty fast.
I have a Loomis rod in an 8 & a 9 wt that I use for specific types of fishing that work better than a really fast rod.
God never intended us to only have one rod type anyway; that's like having only one gun. LOL.

MM

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I came across a Redington Path fly rod offering on ebay . Not a svelte rod, and may be on the clunky side for some, but a decent rod. It has a moderate-fast action with some spine up at least 40% from the handle They run heavier than marked/indicated for line weight, by maybe 1.5+ line weights (ie 5wt is more like a 7 weight).

I found a Redington Path listing on ebay for $56.99, new , including a tube, shipping and lifetime warranty. I ordered a 5wt, 8' 6" rod. It felt like a 7 wt. Sent it back and got a 9' 4wt, and it feels more like a 6 wt. I kept it. It casts well, but I have 6wt DT floating line on it to load it.

They make a 9' and 10' 7wt (4-piece) that will more be like an 8wt. Might be an option for you. For $57 shipped, how can you go wrong? I like mine.

It has got to be the deal of the day. It is an incredibly high value fly rod, not just low cost.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
7-8 wt with a stiff butt section AKA Ross model profiles

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a Sage Foundation in a 10' 7 wt a couple years back mostly for Pyamid lake and put a Rio single handed spey line on it. It will do everything you are looking to do and it is Sages least expensive rod. Absolute canon and if you learn to double haul, its a 90' caster. We have landed trout up over the 20 lb mark on that rod. My son landed a 22 lb cutthrout on a 10' 6 wt this past March but the 7s are much better in the wind.
The Redington vice comes in a 10' 7 wt also and for $220 you can get a rod that will impress and has a lifetime warranty also. I bought one as a backup rod a couple years ago and it will keep pace with several of my rods that are closer to $1000 as far as casting. It just doesn't have the high end components that go with the pricy rods. Fly lines are as important as anything when it comes to casting. Don't go cheap on the line. Look into that single handed spey line. You can bomb overhand casts as well as roll cast(spey ish) and cover some water.
Also 2 piece rods are hard to find. There is no reason with the rods we have now, not to go 4 piece. Much easier to travel with.

Last edited by fishnut; 06/29/23.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like Temple Fork.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Kind of leaning towards giving an Echo rod a try. An Ion XL seems to tick a lot of boxes (full wells grip, fighting butt). Leaning to a 6 or 7 wt and preferably a 10' rod. Fussing whether a 7 wt might be somewhat overpowered for the average fish I catch. The 6 wt I am currently using is enough rod to manage the usual fish, it just struggles on longer casts. (or probably more correctly I struggle with it!) Reviews on the Echo suggest it is perhaps a bit of a cannon but lacks in presentation for shorter casts or longevity of the grips. Same rod (6wt) in 10' version is noticeably more tiring, which is a concern.
Guess I will look at some other brands at a higher price point. I'd love to try a Sage or Loomis!

Last edited by patbrennan; 07/05/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're trying to make a trout rod into a saltwater rod & vice versa.

2 different animals if you want both of them optimized.

MM

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Valid point for sure. Makes sense to set up a trout rod first since I do that the most, by far. (lake fishing)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Kind of leaning towards giving an Echo rod a try. An Ion XL seems to tick a lot of boxes (full wells grip, fighting butt). Leaning to a 6 or 7 wt and preferably a 10' rod. Fussing whether a 7 wt might be somewhat overpowered for the average fish I catch. The 6 wt I am currently using is enough rod to manage the usual fish, it just struggles on longer casts. (or probably more correctly I struggle with it!) Reviews on the Echo suggest it is perhaps a bit of a cannon but lacks in presentation for shorter casts or longevity of the grips. Same rod (6wt) in 10' version is noticeably more tiring, which is a concern.
Guess I will look at some other brands at a higher price point. I'd love to try a Sage or Loomis!
The only place a 7wt 10ft makes sense IMO&E is from a drift boat. The length gets you out past the oars. I have and use an Echo 710.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd suggest going up to maybe a 7 or 8 wt 10-footer if one wants to get past 60 or 70 ft. I have one of each in Sage blanks that I use for steelhead. A weight forward line and learn to double haul. With good technique one can do those casts with a 6 wt, but things get tougher if one has to fight winds.

If one wants a bit more quality on a budget and is somewhat handy, he might buy a ready to wind kit at about 2/3rds down to maybe 1/2 the price of an assembled rod. I have Sage, Orvis, Meiser, Loomis, and Cabelas rods that I built but could not afford as assembled units. From 6 ft 2 wts up to 16 ft 10 wt Spey rods. Some fly shops sponsor build classes, and with some of their equipment like rod turners and a few pointers, one can do a top-notch custom job.

If one really wants to reach out (like 200 ft), a transition to a two-handed "Switch" rod might be in order. Here's a link to one of the high-end makers. One could take a look at his blanks and kits and something there might float your boat. These are actually shorter Spey rods with a different casting technique, but they will really blast out the line over medium to large water. A couple casting lessons would be in order as it's a bit difficult for us aged single handers to master. Not something that one would cast to shy beaver pond trout, but capable of handling steelhead and salmon.

Meiser link

A more budget minded link

Just an example in the above link. I don't have a dog in the fight, as several other brands/makers offer similar models.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good luck and tight lines,

Magnificent fish.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
458 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.