Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Was shooting today doing some final chrono testing (confirmation really) of a .40 load that is going to be produced. It is one I have been working on for literally over a year. I passed the 2K round mark in testing and am very happy with the results.

As an aside, while I was out, I put some of the hot .40 rounds through a Gen 5 G20.

They ran through the gun perfectly, just as easily as they ran through the Gen 3 G22.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In my experience .40 S&W has not generally been a particularly accurate cartridge, (excluding custom race guns).

I’m glad to see someone else say this. I’ve had a few .40’s, down to one right now, and have never been really inspired by the accuracy I could get out of them. The one I have now is okay, but just okay.

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Semi related...

I shoot .45acp in a .460 Rowland chamber... (Glock 21). The spring needs to be substantially upgraded depending on the load... Mag spring as well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Was shooting today doing some final chrono testing (confirmation really) of a .40 load that is going to be produced. It is one I have been working on for literally over a year. I passed the 2K round mark in testing and am very happy with the results.

As an aside, while I was out, I put some of the hot .40 rounds through a Gen 5 G20.

They ran through the gun perfectly, just as easily as they ran through the Gen 3 G22.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In my experience .40 S&W has not generally been a particularly accurate cartridge, (excluding custom race guns).

I’m glad to see someone else say this. I’ve had a few .40’s, down to one right now, and have never been really inspired by the accuracy I could get out of them. The one I have now is okay, but just okay.

I have put LOTS of typical issued .40 practice ball and duty ammo down range in duty type pistols and generally speaking, the .40 in my experience has never been a particularly accurate cartridge in most service autos. There are some exceptions to that but for typical service autos and work type ammo, that has been my observation and experience. Race guns/hand tuned or built guns are a different subject.

In this case, I spent quite a substantial amount of time developing a load that shot well in your typical 3rd generation and newer Glock .40 barrels (and other .40s). Developing a load that has the accuracy, as well as reliability, and is a high velocity load takes a good bit of T&E. I put a bunch of rounds downrange before I was satisfied.

One of the key things I was also looking for was potentially a carry gun for large animal defense, aka big bears, that was not on a large frame. I absolutely love my .45 Glock as well as the Glock 10mm. Both the 10mm and .45 are awesome guns for the outdoorsman. But in observing people shoot, I have noted that pretty much everyone handles a standard 9mm/40 size frame better.

They are more accurate and faster.

They simply perform better.

Most people don't shoot enough high performance 10mm or .45 to truly be proficient with it.

So, I worked on this +P .40 load that pushes a Poly-Coat 170 grain semi wadcutter at 1200 FPS out of a G22. That is a very fast load for a .40, and it is very accurate. So a guy can use his concealed carry gun as his trail/defense gun.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had one or another 40 caliber pistol around for 25 years and have shot many from a rest at 50 yards. Glock 22s and 23s were typically good for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches for 5 shots using Federal or Remington generic JHP or good reloads, sorted by headstamp. This was using the stock trigger and sights, neither of which are conducive to fine shooting. By comparison, I could usually herd 5 shots into 2 to 3 inches with my 4" Model 29.

Federal HST proved particularly accurate. 170-175 grain SWCs, of the same profile Mack is using, shot really well for me across a number of pistols; and big groundhogs, raccoons & coyotes hit lengthwise with them just fold up. I was running them 900 fps and shooting through everything mentioned. At 1200 fps they should penetrate really well.

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/31/23.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.