Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Catcher dropped strike three, which would have been the last out of the game. Catcher ran out to the mound to hug the pitcher, while the winning runs circled the bases.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/28/ny-hi...-while-celebrating-dropped-strike-three/

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL!! That was hard to watch for the "first" winning team, but I bet they learned a lesson!!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A similar weird ending happened at one of the local high schools where I grew up during the district playoffs many years ago. The bases were loaded and there was a passed ball. The catcher, after retrieving the ball at the backstop, could not get the runner coming from third so he tried to throw out the batter heading for first. Instead he sailed the ball over the first baseman's head all the way to the outfield. It turned into a "strikeout" grand slam. They lost the game but earned a mention on the blurb page of the next month's Sports Illustrated (albeit as an interesting example of a screwup). If the catcher had caught the ball, it would have been game over and onto the next round.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very poor coaching. The catcher should have thrown to first base.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Very poor coaching. The catcher should have thrown to first base.

Or picked up the ball and tagged the batter if within reach. To quick to celebrate.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The fact both teams are wearing red makes it hard to follow at the end. Lol.

But yeah, bad coaching and kids wanting their ESPN celebration moment. Love how the coaches of the losing team tried to argue with the umps. Haha

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The catcher missed the tag, and jammed the ball into his back pocket, as he ran to the mound to hug the pitcher.
The first baseman realized what was going on, he ran to home plate to tag the runners out, but as he frantically searched the ground he couldn't find the ball.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Baseball, as in life, it pays to know the rules.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I still get messed up by the drop strike three rule.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn, it hurts to be that catcher right now.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I still get messed up by the drop strike three rule.

On strike three the batter, can run to first if the catcher does not catch the ball. But only if first base is not occupied with 0 or 1 out.
With 2 outs, and catcher drops strike 3, the batter can can run to first base even if the base is occupied. Obviously the runners already on base would be advancing. Catcher then would only have to step on home for the force out if the bases are loaded. Or he can throw down to first base.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once saw an MLB game where there were men on second and third for the home team in the 15th inning of a tied game. The visitors wanted to load the bases to set up the double play, so they decided to intentionally walk the batter. Back then you still had to throw 4 balls, so the catcher stood and held his mitt out for the intentional ball.

The pitcher managed to miss the mitt and the ball went to the backstop. The runner on third ran home and there was a close play at the plate, but the runner was called safe, the run counted and the home team won.

The visitors protested, but traditionally when you throw a wild pitch during an intentional walk that results in a run to end the game in the 15th inning, you're not going to get that call.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another one:

I was once watching an SF Giants game in Candlestick Park, which was famous for its bizarre winds. The visitors had a runner on first and the wind picked up and started a little dust devil just off first base, complete with a swirling hot dog wrapper.

The visitor's runner became so mesmerized by the rotating wrapper that he got picked off standing up. The crowd went wild.

That must have been a looooong walk back to the dugout.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another twist to the dropped third strike rule:

“A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate.”

Meaning, if you strike out and turn to walk back to the dugout and your team members yell “Run to first!” you are already out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

It looked like the entire team thought the game was over. I'll bet they all feel like dung.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
No doubt, but rightfully so. This knuckle head cost his team the championship!
I recall hearing about a HS football game in Johnstown several years ago.
The last play of the game, a defensive player who’s team was ahead by 4 intercepted the Hail Mary throw, and then handed the ball to the receiver!
Piss poor coaching causes things like this. There’s no other excuse.
I mean it’s a great thing to have people who teach these youngsters, but to overlook fundamental knowledge like attention to detail is shameful.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Never understood how you can get 3 strikes and not be out in baseball. Guess when it's your game you can make the rules however you see fit.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the same commission came up with that rule that allows ballot harvesting..

what could go wrong?

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya, to make matters worse, I don't think that pitch was a strike. Looked inside to me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Never understood how you can get 3 strikes and not be out in baseball. Guess when it's your game you can make the rules however you see fit.

In football the game doesn’t end when the clock shows no time, if the play is still active. Ask Alabama.

Rules is rules.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.