Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
byd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Is there a difference between a variable scope set to 6x vs a fixed 6x scope.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, even with all things equal (objective lens diameter, materials, craftsmanship, and engineering). Whether or not your eye will see the difference is another thing.

Last edited by DaveinWV; 05/28/23.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the ocular X ring on the variable scope will have numbers on it.
Also the scopes might be slightly different in color

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I figured it was not a variable until I started twisting the dial.

I would have been as well off for twenty years if I had just been equipped with a straight ten X for my only rifle. When it had a 2.5-7x32 I never took a shot but at 7X. Then a 4-12x40, many, many dead deer. One at 10 yds, another at 15 yds. Sure enough, the scope was on 12X each time.

A guy could do anything that needs done out to 500 or even 600 yds with a 6X.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot variables but i might use them all season and never come off 7x. I’m a eastern guy hunting mostly in pine woods or clear cut edges. My shots are 20 yards out to 220 most around 75- 150. I could very likely do very well with a straight 6x.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by byd
Is there a difference between a variable scope set to 6x vs a fixed 6x scope.

If the reticle is a FFP reticle and exactly the same subtensions between both, it should look the same.

If the reticle is a SFP reticle, the subtensions will be different across the power settings so the reticle would appear different at different power settings.....unless the subtensions listed were at 6x in the variable, but usually they will be at the highest power setting of the variable scope.

As far as the image brightness, assuming the same lens coatings, exit pupil, etc in both scopes, the fixed power should allow more light to pass through because there are fewer lenses for the light to pass through. Anytime light passes through a lens, some light is lost. I don't know if it's enough to notice, but fewer lenses means less light reflected on each surface.....so the fixed should be brighter if all other factors are the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve always believed that variables were weaker. I prefer fixed power scopes.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’ve always believed that variables were weaker. I prefer fixed power scopes.

If both a fixed power and variable are built to same level/engineering/design/materials, the fixed has fewer points of failure, so it should be less likely to fail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started rifle shooting in the 1960's with fixed 4x and 6x scopes, once I got my first Weaver V-4.5 I never looked back at fixed scopes. I now run a number of 1-4x20mm and 1.5-6x40mm scopes and they never come off of the bottom end until I see game that warrants more X's.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I no longer hunt big game but call coyotes all over the west and do a little ADC work for a rancher if asked. I did work with a couple of 2-12 scopes the past two years and am liking them also.

Last edited by erich; 05/29/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DAveinWV- funny. Smart@$$ but funny.

What JCMCubic said is right. Fixed 6x should be a little brighter. I used to shoot only fixed 6x and had Weaver, Meopta, Leupold, and Burris. No two had quite the exact same view. Brightness was my primary reason for going fixed and consistency was ....a thought. One important feature that was at a premium back in the day was fully multi coated lenses.

Within the last .....15 years say ...could be longer they pass so quickly nowadays....competition in rifle scope brands became wonderfully beneficial. By the time the Leupold Vx-3 came out it offered a plethora of features like better erector setup, glare cutting internals, and full multicoating's that gave a noticeably brighter images than prior variables I tried. I compared it in the field to at least one fixed 6 and no longer saw the brightness benefit where I once did with a simple Weaver K versus a Vari-x.

While I thought I would like having 3-9 for 9x at range time I discovered going into the field at 3x really opened up my view and retained that generous eye box familiar to those using fixed 6x's. This has turned out to be the real benefit. I know you can use a fixed 6x for almost anything but now....I don't. I see so many guys leave the range at 9x and go into the field with it staying there though.

To say I never felt ham stringed by a 6x was almost true but I once had an axis deer show up within a few yards of me. I think a 3x would have been a benefit. I went and bought an open site lever- hey good excuse- for those type shots. Just things to ponder.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/29/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
If there is a variable scope on my rifle, it is set at 6x. I much prefer the fixed power scopes. They are now a thing of the past. Used ones have become pricey!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like fixed power scopes and would buy nothing else, given the choice. Sadly, few good fixed power scopes are available anymore. I also prefer scopes with duplex reticles or a single dot. Getting harder to get those too. GD

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Didn't intend to be a smart azz. Thanks for the recognition! laugh
Not everyone can discern the difference between different optics as well as others. wink

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't seen a fixed power scope in stores of shops for years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have some variables but I love my fixed powers and have more of them than anything else.
They say everything comes full circle so give it another 10 or 15 years and fixed powers will probably be all the rage!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A VXlll has 9 lenses...an M8 has 5...I'll let you decide what effect that has on the transmission of the light.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am not a scope expert, but in comparing the 8x56 Schmidt & Bender Klassik to the 3x12x50 Klassik set on 8 power, the fixed 8 power scope is seen as the better of the two in low light, but by a small factor.

If I could only have a fixed power scope for all hunting, it would be a S&B 6x42 Klassik.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As good as scopes are today, I've gotten to where I use relatively few fixed powers anymore. I do think they are an inherently more durable design, simply due to less moving parts.

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
When it comes to a variable scope set to 6x versus a fixed 6x scope, there are a few things to consider. With a variable scope, you have the flexibility to adjust the magnification, allowing you to zoom in or out depending on your shooting needs. This can be handy for different distances or targets.

On the other hand, a fixed 6x scope offers simplicity and reliability since it stays at a consistent magnification. It can be a good option if you typically shoot at a specific distance and prefer a straightforward setup.

Ultimately, it boils down to personal preference and how you plan to use the scope. If versatility and adaptability are important to you, a variable scope might be the way to go. If simplicity and consistency are more your style, a fixed 6x scope could be a solid choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone want to trade their 6x scopes for some 3x9’s? I’m your huckleberry.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
360 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.