Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weather can spoil the best of plans.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
No whale is a benign creature if they tangle in any lines. We had nothing larger than a mature beluga get wrapped in the lines of a subsistence salmon set net years ago. It balled everything up and dragged the whole mess several hundred yards from where it had been set. It was choppy when I went to check it and had a bit of a time locating it. I pretty much knew what to expect, so when I found it, I immediately tied it to the rail on my 19 foot skiff. I was a bit surprised when that big white ghost appeared out of the murky green water and expelled the lightest puff of breath. Darned thing was alive, if barely, or so it seemed. Since I was less than 1/2 mile from shore, I figured I'd just motor in to the beach and we could dispatch it and take care of it. However, once the motor was fired up and the prop turned, that whale decided it was having none of that and proceeded to dragged the whole business toward an old barge anchored offshore in spite of 90 HP of ineffectiveness trying to counter his "tired" efforts. There was little else to do but shut the engine down, get on the radio, and request firepower. Even a "nearly dead" little whale is nothing to trifle with.

That was called a Nantucket sleighride back in the Whaling Days

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/01/23.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I fear for the charter company. Going out in weather that bad then having all the clients die. I can only imagine the circling group of attorneys waiting to strike.
This didn't end well for the clients and driver, and it won't end well for the charter company.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I fear for the charter company. Going out in weather that bad then having all the clients die. I can only imagine the circling group of attorneys waiting to strike.
This didn't end well for the clients and driver, and it won't end well for the charter company.
Worse was the huge lag in reporting an overdue boat... not that it would have saved lives, likely, but more bodies would probably have been found.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The two females were sisters, their brother, mother and father were out on another boat from the lodge fishing.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
One person’s body was recovered Sunday night. Troopers on Wednesday identified the person as Maury Agcaoili, 57, of Waipahu, Hawaii. Agcaoili’s body was found in the water near the boat.
I saw one photo that showed the bow about 6-7 feet out of the water. Possibly a CG photo.
The poor soul above was probably trying to stay with the hull until hypothermia did him in.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
“The bodies of two women were recovered Wednesday from a Sitka fishing charter boat that capsized Sunday night in the deadliest incident in the Alaska charter industry in decades.

The 30-foot Awakin had five people aboard when it capsized in rough seas near Low Island, about 10 miles west of Sitka. Two men remained missing as of Thursday.

Searchers on Sunday night found the body of Maury Agcaoili, 57, of Waipahu, Hawaii, in the water less than 100 yards from the boat.

On Wednesday evening, divers recovered the bodies of sisters Danielle Agcaoili, 53, also of Waipahu, and Brandi Tyau, 56, of Canoga Park, California, from inside the partly sunken vessel, Alaska State Troopers said.

Agcaoili and Tyau were on a trip to Alaska with their husbands and other family members, the Associated Press reported.

Passenger Robert Solis, 61, of Canoga Park, and boat captain Morgan Robidou, 32, of Sitka were still considered missing.

On Wednesday, the seas were calm enough for divers to enter the vessel while it was still submerged, said troopers spokesman Austin McDaniel.

Previously, the “sea state was too intense to get inside the boat,” said U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 3rd Class Ian Gray.

Efforts to refloat the boat and tow it to Sitka are ongoing, Gray said. The Coast Guard is investigating what led the boat to capsize.”

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...kage-of-fishing-charter-boat-near-sitka/

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m still thinking they got too close to the shoals and got rolled by a bmf wave.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m still thinking they got too close to the shoals and got rolled by a bmf wave.
That would be a good bet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

One thing is for sure, if you are in the drink in the Northern Pacific, it does not take long to be dead from Hypothermia.

Tragic, RIP to all on Board

KB

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had been wondering if the other victims were cabbed up when the accident happened and could not get out. Hopefully they got knocked unconscious before drowning.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
I had been wondering if the other victims were cabbed up when the accident happened and could not get out. Hopefully they got knocked unconscious before drowning.

I had the same thought. 😬

I was reading about the Defiance fishing team and their experience rolling a 29’ Guadalupe in the surf break. They were all ok but the skipper had an auto-inflate PFD and it inflated almost trapping him in the cabin.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Last time I went fishing in AK there was a group from MN on the plane by me that fish with Kingfisher every year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Last time I went fishing in AK there was a group from MN on the plane by me that fish with Kingfisher every year.

Lots of hits on YouTube with a "Kingfisher Charters Sitka" search.

Many of their clients post their video memories of fishing with them.

Not to be confused with Kingfisher Lodge out of Craig AK.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The rumor up here is that he got too close in to the rocks and got caught by a breaker. If that’s the close, total Captain error. I used to fish/surf in that exact area and there are some big breakers on those rocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
The rumor up here is that he got too close in to the rocks and got caught by a breaker. If that’s the close, total Captain error. I used to fish/surf in that exact area and there are some big breakers on those rocks.

If the electronics survived, forensics can establish how much time the vessel dwelled in that area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Update:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-dead-2-missing-family-053521708.html

"Coast Guard investigators are working to determine the timeline and cause of the incident. The area was experiencing 6-foot to 11-foot (1.8- to 3.35-meter) waves, a Coast Guard spokesperson said."

Not my kind of fishing weather

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffA
That’s a commonly fished area.

If I had to guess it would be the boat got one of the engines wrapped up pulling the anchor in heavy seas and rolled. If you say anything on the radio in Sitka on Memorial Day weekend 500 boats will hear you. Had to be fast for the Capt to not get off a call.

Yeah, it was something that happened real quick.

If they'd found themselves really challenged by the winds and waves most likely they'd have put on the PFDs.

Of course I've not read anything that stated they weren't wearing PDFs just yet.

But we all know they don't save you from cold water.

Another explanation would be steering failure at 25kts. A sharp turn in rough seas would roll the boat.

Those boats are heavy, well built boats. They don’t go down easy.
I've had a steering cable snap while underway. Luckily on a river and not in a bad spot. I can only imagine out there in those conditions. Also had one snap on an airboat and we hit the bank and all were ok since we were not high speed at the time. Its a bit interesting when you all of a sudden have no control on direction.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Rumor I’m hearing now is I would have lost that bet.

Some of the early speculation appears to have been correct - if the most recent rumors are confirmed.

Sad as hell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Rumor I’m hearing now is I would have lost that bet.

Some of the early speculation appears to have been correct.

Basic.

Sad as hell.
Anchor tangled? Everyone ran to the same corner and swamped the boat?
? ? ?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.