Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
https://share.newsbreak.com/3zoq3o73

Any details? Was it a halibut charter?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well Kingfisher Charters called in the over due boat and this is what their web site says they have for boats..

The boats in the Kingfisher fleet are ideal for fishing in the Sitka area. They're fast cruisers of 28'-32' that have enclosed cabins with heat and private bathroom facilities.

A wide beam makes these boats very stable fishing platforms, with a deep V hull for a comfortable ride.

https://www.kingfishercharters.co/

[Linked Image from d3ciwvs59ifrt8.cloudfront.net][Linked Image from d3ciwvs59ifrt8.cloudfront.net]

Originally Posted by U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak
U.S. Coast Guard Alaska 

7h  · 

The Coast Guard is searching for four missing people who were last seen near Sitka, Sunday night.

The Coast Guard continues searching for the four missing individuals.

Coast Guard personnel began their search Sunday evening after Coast Guard Sector Juneau watchstanders received a phone call from Kingfisher Charters who reported a charter vessel overdue with five people aboard.

The vessel was found partially submerged near Low Island, approximately 1 mile east of Shoals Point, Kruzof Island.

The vessel was last seen underway yesterday afternoon in the vicinity of Cape Edgecumbe, near Sitka Sound.

The Coast Guard recovered 1 deceased individual after arriving on scene and search efforts continue for the remaining individuals.

Involved in the search are:

· Coast Guard Sector Juneau Command Center

· Coast Guard Air Station Sitka, MH-60 Helicopter aircrew

· Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak, C-130 Hercules aircrew

· Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team Sitka 38-foot Special Purpose Craft boat crew

· Sentinel-class fast response Coast Guard Cutter Douglas Denman

· Sitka Fire Department

· Several Good Samaritan vessels

“There are currently so many unknowns, we are thankful for the coordination efforts from several municipal agencies including the Sitka Fire Department and Good Samaritan vessels on scene.” said Lt. Trevor Layman, Command Duty Officer.“We’re working quickly to locate the unaccounted-for individuals.”

Anyone with information is requested to contact Coast Guard Sector Juneau at 907-463-2890.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kind of a gut punch for the fleet. I was out Sunday and it was nasty.

RIP to the 5 souls. Terrible tragedy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some more info here.
Sounds like they were anchor-fishing and whatever happened, happened fast.
https://sitkasentinel.com/7/2012-05-10-22-08-10/22189-charter-boat-sinks

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bad, bad deal.

Just from the cursory and unofficial internet reports I have read, including those linked here, this isn't making sense. There's more to this story.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
RIP to the 5 souls. Terrible tragedy.

+1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Some more info here.
Sounds like they were anchor-fishing and whatever happened, happened fast.
https://sitkasentinel.com/7/2012-05-10-22-08-10/22189-charter-boat-sinks

Low Island is a long way from where they were last seen fishing. I’ve only spent limited time out there but there can be some nasty rips and big waves with the wrong current and wind.

“Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?”

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

U.S. Coast Guard Alaska Update

4h ·
The Coast Guard suspended its search at sunset Monday for four missing individuals in the water near Sitka, Alaska.

The Coast Guard recovered one deceased individual Sunday evening and located the vessel partially submerged off Low Island approximately 10 miles west of Sitka.

The search for the four unaccounted for individuals was suspended at approximately 9:30 p.m. Monday.

Watchstanders at Sector Juneau received a phone call Sunday evening from Kingfisher Charters reporting a 30-foot aluminum charter vessel overdue with five people aboard, including one master and four passengers.
The vessel was last seen underway Sunday afternoon.

Involved in the search were:
· Coast Guard Sector Juneau command center
· Coast Guard Air Station Sitka MH-60 helicopter aircrew
· Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak HC-130 Hercules aircrew
· Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team Sitka 38-foot Special
Purpose Craft boat crew
· Sentinel-class fast response Coast Guard Cutter Douglas Denman
· Sitka Fire Department
· Several good Samaritan vessels
· Hanson Maritime

Anyone with information is requested to contact Coast Guard Sector Juneau at 907-463-2890.

Coast Guard crews searched a total of approximately 825 square miles over the course of more than 20 hours utilizing both air and vessel search crews.

"Despite our best efforts and those of several partner agencies, we were not able to find the four remaining individuals, " said Capt. Darwin Jensen, Captain of the Port Southeast Alaska. "Suspending a search is never an easy decision.
We extend our deepest sympathy to the loved ones during this difficult time. Our sincere thanks to community partners and the good Samaritan vessels who rapidly responded to help in the search."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Absolutely terrible. With no witnesses I hope they have some way of piecing together what happened. My heart goes out to the victims and their family members.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That’s a commonly fished area.

If I had to guess it would be the boat got one of the engines wrapped up pulling the anchor in heavy seas and rolled. If you say anything on the radio in Sitka on Memorial Day weekend 500 boats will hear you. Had to be fast for the Capt to not get off a call.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No EPIRB in a float free location?

No PLB on anyone?

Nobody wore PFDs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

No PLB on anyone?

Nobody wore PFDs?

Typically people don't wear PFD's on fishing charters, they are on the boat but not required to be worn. That said, the water in AK is typically so cold unless you have a survival suit on, you have maybe 30 minutes.

I don't believe EPIRBs are required for 6 pack boats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

No PLB on anyone?

Nobody wore PFDs?

Typically people don't wear PFD's on fishing charters, they are on the boat but not required to be worn. That said, the water in AK is typically so cold unless you have a survival suit on, you have maybe 30 minutes.

Just because something isn't required doesn't mean that it's not a good idea. Manual inflatable belt PFDs are so comfortable that it's easy to forget you have one on. EPIRBS and PLBs cost $350.

The cold water is a real deal. It's possible that with an EPIRB alert and PFDs, they'd all still be with us. With PFDs, even if they didn't survive, their families could have closure.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No Epirb but I expect some new regs to come out of this.

Bigger issue is going to be why the lodge waited so long to call it in. That area is well within radio range and should have good cellular service. But to be fair I don’t recall a charter boat ever going down before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka Sentinel
Authorities said the Sitka charter company called the Coast Guard after the boat was overdue and the skipper did not respond to calls. The Coast Guard said the boat was equipped with an emergency locating beacon but it had not been activated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

No PLB on anyone?

Nobody wore PFDs?

Just because something isn't required doesn't mean that it's not a good idea. Manual inflatable belt PFDs are so comfortable that it's easy to forget you have one on. EPIRBS and PLBs cost $350.

The cold water is a real deal. It's possible that with an EPIRB alert and PFDs, they'd all still be with us. With PFDs, even if they didn't survive, their families could have closure.

Which is why on my own personal boat everyone wears a pfd and I carry cold water survival suits. While inflatable pfd's are comfortable, they don't always work. I need to add an EPIRB.

The real question is if conditions are really nasty, why go out fishing? No fish is worth dying for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
That’s a commonly fished area.

If I had to guess it would be the boat got one of the engines wrapped up pulling the anchor in heavy seas and rolled. If you say anything on the radio in Sitka on Memorial Day weekend 500 boats will hear you. Had to be fast for the Capt to not get off a call.

Yeah, it was something that happened real quick.

If they'd found themselves really challenged by the winds and waves most likely they'd have put on the PFDs.

Of course I've not read anything that stated they weren't wearing PDFs just yet.

But we all know they don't save you from cold water.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Sitka Sentinel
Authorities said the Sitka charter company called the Coast Guard after the boat was overdue and the skipper did not respond to calls. The Coast Guard said the boat was equipped with an emergency locating beacon but it had not been activated.

From what I read, is they contacted the coasties at 6pm. All charters I know come in no later than 4pm if they depart at 6am. 2 hours is a long time to wait if you can’t raise them in the radio or phone on a [bleep] weather day. I am sure the lawyers will sort that all out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another life lost on Birch Creek out of Central.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 673, 11 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,388
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.