M
Thanks, Sheister

BP-B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Have Els and picked up a pair of 10x42 Meopta Mostar HDs. I am impressed with the quality of these compared to the Els. They aren't at the same level, but pretty damn close to my eyes.

This imho.

If you want the "best"...get the Swaros. If you want the "best for the money"...get the Meopta's.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by iddave
Have Els and picked up a pair of 10x42 Meopta Mostar HDs. I am impressed with the quality of these compared to the Els. They aren't at the same level, but pretty damn close to my eyes.

This imho.

If you want the "best"...get the Swaros. If you want the "best for the money"...get the Meopta's.

Dave

That makes sense. Leaning toward the EL’s. Rather spend the money now and not wonder what if.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

This imho.

Dave

Well said brother.

For those preferring an 8.5, I’ve had Swaro 10x40s for a while now and other 10 powers before that. I mostly hunt lower ID/WY where I’m not in timber. I’ve ran across a couple of guides that are using 12x Swaros as their most used optic. I have to wonder if I’m giving anything with the 10 powers so it make me that much more curious about those using 8.5 power. Are you in more timbered country?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5

This imho.

Dave

Well said brother.

For those preferring an 8.5, I’ve had Swaro 10x40s for a while now and other 10 powers before that. I mostly hunt lower ID/WY where I’m not in timber. I’ve ran across a couple of guides that are using 12x Swaros as their most used optic. I have to wonder if I’m giving anything with the 10 powers so it make me that much more curious about those using 8.5 power. Are you in more timbered country?

A couple guys I hunt with have gone to 12 x 50 binos and I was never a fan of glass that big for general hunting. But , like you, we hunt fairly open terrain most of the time so I gave a quick glimpse through their glass a few times and I was impressed with the view. Now, these weren't Alpha glass in any case- in fact I think both of them were Vortex, but I was impressed with the glass and the added view across the canyons and rimrock country we hunt most of the time. Learning to keep them steady takes a little practice but it can be done or you can carry a small tripod for long glassing periods.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Even in open country I prefer 8/8.5 as chest glass. In country I’m glassing I always have 12’s or 15’s as well.

Originally Posted by Akbob5

This imho.

Dave

Well said brother.

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I prefer 10's over 8X for sheep, mule deer, caribou and moose here in BC as we have horn or antler point restrictions in most or all hunt periods on those species. And my 10s are Swarovsion 10x42ELs and the 8's are Leica Ultravid 8x 32. Over the year I probably use them both equal amounts as I really like the 8x32 for hiking and tighter cover hunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kurt52
I prefer 10's over 8X for sheep, mule deer, caribou and moose here in BC as we have horn or antler point restrictions in most or all hunt periods on those species. And my 10s are Swarovsion 10x42ELs and the 8's are Leica Ultravid 8x 32. Over the year I probably use them both equal amounts as I really like the 8x32 for hiking and tighter cover hunts.

I've looked at the 8 x 32 and like them a lot. But I just can't seem to fit them into my budget after purchasing the 10 x 42 EL s .... for woods hunting and just road cruising and geeking they would be excellent

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned most all the Alpha brands of bino's over the years and they are all good but I have found none better than the Swaro EL 8x32 for my needs....Good luck...Hb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have the EL 10x42 that I like. But I have no experience with the 8x42, the NL's, or other brands.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have owned most all the Alpha brands of bino's over the years and they are all good but I have found none better than the Swaro EL 8x32 for my needs....Good luck...Hb

Hillbilly, I would imagine we hunt the same terrain. I hunt throughout the southern Appalachian and even up into Virginia. Sounds like the 8X32 needs to be a consideration. How did those do for low light with a smaller objective of 32 rather than 42?

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Comments on 8x32 binouclars....mine are the older Leica Ultravids...pre-HD model in purchased in 2005. I use them in thick woods for bear and whitetail hunting, elk hunting, Coues deer hunting from a blind or treestand, etc. They are a super useful binocular and a size I would not be without, especially for hiking. Mine only weigh 19 ounces vs my SV10x42ELs that come in at 32 oz on my electronic scale....huge difference. And I am positive that the new NL series would be far superior optically to my 18 year old Leicas.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have read this thread a couple of times and tried to stay out....
I have been a bit of an optic freak and trying almost everything....
but my FAV is still my 10x42 EL...the 32's just don't....

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Hillbilly, I would imagine we hunt the same terrain. I hunt throughout the southern Appalachian and even up into Virginia. Sounds like the 8X32 needs to be a consideration. How did those do for low light with a smaller objective of 32 rather than 42?
Yes we do hunt very similar or identical terrain. I have compared a few Alpha brand 8x42 bino's to my Swaro 8x32 EL's at lowlight and to my eyes I can see very little difference but IMO any slight difference is more than made up by the compact/lightweight dimensions of the 8x32 EL's..The 8x32 EL's are superb bino's 👍..Good luck...Hb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.