Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ordered some.

You ain't about that life.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice looking bullet but they are proud of em! I will still probly order some though 😁....Hb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, they are spendy...a big jump over even Barnes. I've been tempted to try them, but I'll stick with the TTSXs.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like about an 80% price bump over TTSX offerings in similar weights. That's getting up there.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah they are pricey. I just bought some TTSX .277 110 gr. for $27.71 a box from Powder Valley. Hammer just had a 12% off sale on them so that helped a little. I’m not a paper puncher any way so 150 bullets will have me set for life. I want to see what all the hype is about. LOL

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice looking bullet but they are proud of em! I will still probly order some though 😁....Hb

I agree! That said, so far they have been the easiest to work up a load with (at least with the non-tipped versions, and also always in stock!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They are made on a Swiss lathe vs extruded like a Barnes that might explain the difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is performance much different than the barnes version? I like the TTSX and LRX and have been happy so far. I have wondered what the hammers gain you over the barnes?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Partagas
Is performance much different than the barnes version? I like the TTSX and LRX and have been happy so far. I have wondered what the hammers gain you over the barnes?

My understanding is the pedals break off and the core keeps going.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TTSX work great for me. I just shot a big hog in Texas with a 7 x 57 140 grain TTSX and it damn near lifted it off of its feet. Stumbled about 5 feet and fell over. Pretty typical performance for me anyway. I am sure the Hammers are great but very pricey.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

I agree! That said, so far they have been the easiest to work up a load with (at least with the non-tipped versions, and also always in stock!
Agree.

Seems to me they’re less COAL sensitive than Barnes and overall, may be a tad more accurate.

They are expensive, but how many do we actually shoot at game. Of course may take a few to work up loads. After that, not that many, at least for me. Practice with cheaper stuff.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

If those petals break off early in the penetration path, like in a shoulder for example, that could spell trouble. Anxious to see/read reports.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
MY 257 Weatherby mag rifles like Hammer bullets better than Barnes for accuracy . matter fact my rifle has never shot so well tell i started using 103 gr. Hammer Hunters with Reloader 25 power i have no reason to try anything else speed is 3680 FPS average 3 shot groups at 100 yds. 1/2 - 3/4 groups and so far these Hammer bullets kill well too. these are the rifles of mine i have used 2 - Ruger #1 Brux barrels 10 twist , 1 - Weatherby mark 5 fiber stock Brux barrel 8 twist , 1 - Weatherby mark 5 Accumark 10 twist , 1 pre-64 Winchester 70 lilja barrel 10 twist all custom . these 257 Weatherby mag. rifles all shoot fantastic with these Hammer bullets > accuracy cost money most of the time.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have killed a fair number of varied game, i.e. not just American game, with the X, TSX and TTSX and see no reason to change. Loads are developed for my 270 Montana (elk and hog), 338-06 (black bear, grizzly bear, mule deer, nilgai and elk), 9.3x62 (the range of typical African plains game), 358 Win (the range of typical African plains game), 35 Whelen (moose, elk, black bear and nilgai) and 416 Rem (buffalo on down) and see zero reason to change.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
For the price, having the tips not already assembled is not a great selling point.

I do often see Hammer bullets used for test targets for rifles such as Cooper.

I don't see the shedding petals as something I would look for in a hunting bullet. There are times when a perfect shot angle just isn't happening. I'd want to know the bullet had as much expansion possible while retaining most of the weight. I'm ok with an occasional shear off of one petal on heavy bone. But not ok with just a caliber size bullet driving through to the exit

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why are people always looking for another product, to solve a problem that really doesn't exist?

Because its new, people think its the new answer to these problems that don't exist...

Until the next new answer is introduced by someone else, next season.

there are a few of us who actually have been using the same stuff for 40 years or more... and it still works just fine.

So good luck to anyone who wants to try out something new every year.

I'll use what has been working me just fine for the last 4 plus decades.

despite the new fancy names that they give their new product... like "THE HAMMER!"

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Precisely why I have been using the Barnes stuff for years, though most often on the bigger than deer stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Why are people always looking for another product, to solve a problem that really doesn't exist?

Because its new, people think its the new answer to these problems that don't exist...

Until the next new answer is introduced by someone else, next season.

there are a few of us who actually have been using the same stuff for 40 years or more... and it still works just fine.

So good luck to anyone who wants to try out something new every year.

I'll use what has been working me just fine for the last 4 plus decades.

despite the new fancy names that they give their new product... like "THE HAMMER!"
Given that, why did you try the Sierra GameChanger bullet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably because hammer bullets are available and old faithful bullets from Nosler are Mia.

Phuuck Nosler.

They are putting all of their production into loaded ammo with huge profit margins, and turning their back on handloaders.

What usually happens when the bean counters get control of a company.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hicountry
Probably because hammer bullets are available and old faithful bullets from Nosler are Mia.

Phuuck Nosler.

They are putting all of their production into loaded ammo with huge profit margins, and turning their back on handloaders.

Right.

Big "N" Can Go.

Texas
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful bullets. Just time consuming putting the tips in. Hopefully they will perform.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m not an Hammer expert but I don’t think these are the ones they sell that are supposed to break apart and shed petals. Dead blow Hammers are the ones that are meant to shed the petals. These are built off of the Hammer Hunter bullets.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ChanceD
I’m not an Hammer expert but I don’t think these are the ones they sell that are supposed to break apart and shed petals. Dead blow Hammers are the ones that are meant to shed the petals. These are built off of the Hammer Hunter bullets.

Hammer Hunter bullets shed their petals, as fo all Hammer bulletsvas long as velocity hasn't fallen to low

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just received my. 308, 182 hht last night

10mins to put the tips on

No biggie

Last edited by hicountry; 06/03/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So that's why they're called Hammers...whistle grin
Beautiful bullets. Just time consuming putting the tips in. Hopefully they will perform.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just received my. 308, 182 hht last night

10mins to put the tips on

No biggie

How many did you get?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
So that's why they're called Hammers...whistle grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
LOVE them Hammers! Mailman just delivered 3 sample packs of the new tipped Hammers in 3 different calibers. Prayers do get answered. Kudo's to Steve Davis.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Yeah, they are spendy...a big jump over even Barnes. I've been tempted to try them, but I'll stick with the TTSXs.

This^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Like the Barnes does not work well enough, or does not penetrate well enough. The hammers are a waste of money, I don't give a schidt how they are made..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Phuuck Nosler.

Yeah, fu ck Nosler. They are doing none of us any favors. There are a lot of us that have told them to fu ck off. As for Hammer bullets, they are doing nothing for us either. Charging exorbitant prices as well. You can have them. They do nothing for me and I highly doubt they will do anything better than their closer competitor: Barnes. Since Barnes are much less expensive, and they have not tried to price gouge the schidt out of us, and have actually kept bullets on the shelves, they get my business. As does Hornady. I totally agree with seafire on this.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Phuuck Nosler.

Yeah, fu ck Nosler. They are doing none of us any favors. There are a lot of us that have told them to fu ck off. As for Hammer bullets, they are doing nothing for us either. Charging exorbitant prices as well. You can have them. They do nothing for me and I highly doubt they will do anything better than their closer competitor: Barnes. Since Barnes are much less expensive, and they have not tried to price gouge the schidt out of us, and have actually kept bullets on the shelves, they get my business. As does Hornady. I totally agree with seafire on this.

Each Hammer bullets is CNC turned with each being as precise as is possible.
I can guarantee since I've used both and happy with both but the Hammer bullets do more internal damage

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

My limited experience with them is that they are pretty destructive. Those petals must be huge. Nothing like a TSX.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m looking at trying the absolute hammers for the possible increase in velocity on an 7x57. Also looking at the 200gr. Shock Hammer for a .375 Ruger. Hoping to have a lighter recoiling option for the Ruger for hunting anything here in South Texas, plus just for fun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I see Hammers designed to perform more like the early Nosler partition where the front blows off and has a smaller Diameter base section continue penetrating than a barnes that retains all the weight and keeps a wider diameter front.

Lou

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I haven’t used Hammer Bullets yet, but I can see some that could work out very well. My rifle shooting doesn’t require all bullets to be big game performers. A lot of my shooting could be called plinking, varmint or target. I am one that can’t help but try other bullets. I have some rifles where I stick with one make/model for bullets and never deviate like the 69 grain SMK in the AR, but I love to explore the others. I see light bullets that are not tipped in 22 Cal from Hammer that are attractive for my K Hornet. The light 33-35 grain are some that I would like to try and the fact that you can buy sample packs is a big deal in case I’m wrong and they turn out to be junk and you’ve dropped big money on a lot of bullets. The 100 grain for the 270 seem to be interesting too. As far as tipped or not? I think I like the non tipped better, at least in the Barnes I shoot for a few calibers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The handful of Hammers I’ve tried have been really nice to work with. Jump insensitive and very fast compared to others of similar weight. While they are more than Barnes they do offer a good veterans discount and they are available when I want them. I hope they crush it.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looking at the 95 grain tipped version for my .25-06.
That rifle only gets the trigger pulled when it’s getting sighted in or when it shoots something. I’ve usually got some kind of “varmint load” worked up for it with a cheaper bullet as well.

The hammers look to be about $1.38 vs. .86 for the Barnes. Hopefully, I’ll still be able to pay the light bill after purchasing (insert tongue in cheek emoji here)………..

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Hammer bullets are too expensive? When I count up how much money I've wasted trying to get Barnes Bullets to shoot accurately due to "distance from the lands" issues, I'd say this is debatable. I hate screwing around, wasting money and range time, going thru a whole box of bullets trying to find the right distance from the lands to get an accurate load.

Hammer bullets are reported by many to not be jump distance sensitive. In my limited experience with these bullets, this is true. Money saved.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Hammer bullets are too expensive? When I count up how much money I've wasted trying to get Barnes Bullets to shoot accurately due to "distance from the lands" issues, I'd say this is debatable. I hate screwing around, wasting money and range time, going thru a whole box of bullets trying to find the right distance from the lands to get an accurate load.

Hammer bullets are reported by many to not be jump distance sensitive. In my limited experience with these bullets, this is true. Money saved.

I've shot Barnes in 270, 280, 30-06, 300 Win & Ultra mag,338 win, 375 H&H, 416 Remington & 458 Win mag and I've never had a problem finding an accurate load. Mostly load to fit the magazine

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
jwp, I've had good luck with some rifles, but excruciatingly frustrating bad luck with other rifles that shot lead just fine. The "distance from the lands" issue has been written about all over the web, hell, even Barnes gives recommendations. It's one more factor to eliminate when working up a load. Some say the most important factor. Anyway, glad to hear you've had success.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have no idea how for off the lands I am or how close. I've never needed to adjust in any rifle that I've loaded for.

Yes I've read the claims and recommendations, but have never had it to be a problem

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Like ALL of this stuff, it's what you WANT to use! All the people that come on these threads saying no way, they're too expensive, or, I'll keep using what's always worked for me, no need to change, then don't! If we all drove only what we needed, they'd still be making Yugos! I don't have to have my 600 HP Camaro, but I sure enjoy it!

When it comes right down to it, there aren't many things associated with a hunt that are cheaper than a bullet, and pretty sure nothing else is quite as important!

I've been talking with Steve, from Hammer Bullets, about a specific rifle of mine with specific criteria and using one of his bullets. When's the last time the owner of a company would take the time to talk to you about your own situation/circumstances/use?

Steve recommended their 145gr THH .284" bullets for the application he took the time to talk, and listen, to me about. For that alone, I'll try his bullets.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Like ALL of this stuff, it's what you WANT to use! All the people that come on these threads saying no way, they're too expensive, or, I'll keep using what's always worked for me, no need to change, then don't! If we all drove only what we needed, they'd still be making Yugos! I don't have to have my 600 HP Camaro, but I sure enjoy it!

When it comes right down to it, there aren't many things associated with a hunt that are cheaper than a bullet, and pretty sure nothing else is quite as important!

I've been talking with Steve, from Hammer Bullets, about a specific rifle of mine with specific criteria and using one of his bullets. When's the last time the owner of a company would take the time to talk to you about your own situation/circumstances/use?

Steve recommended their 145gr THH .284" bullets for the application he took the time to talk, and listen, to me about. For that alone, I'll try his bullets.

We all talk about rifles, cartridges, chamberings, barrels, stocks, scopes, etc. These are all made and used to send a bullet somewhere. We should really think about the bullet and they type of performance we want and then work back from there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.