Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Finally pulled the trigger on a new machine and am retiring the 2005 Honda Rancher 350 4x4. Things have certainly changed a bit in nearly two decades. I managed to find a local dealer that actually had some Honda 420 Rancher and 520 Foreman models to ride, as well as some Yamahas. I eventually settled on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 SE with power steering (EPS). Dad's had two Grizzlies and still has a Honda 420 Rancher along with a Rubicon, so most of my experience has been with either Honda or Yamaha, and it's all been pretty good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I use quads mostly for my real estate and forestry work, as well as some typical chores. Not so much for joy-riding or hunting. I like a mid-sized bike that fits easily in the bed of my pickup, as I hate towing a trailer when I'm running the roads on property inspections. It's impressive that Yamaha fit a 686cc EFI engine in a chassis with the same wheelbase as my old Rancher. It's only an inch wider also. Digging the independent suspension, the fuel injection, the push-button 4x4, and the front locker. This one comes with a Warn already on the front. Have not really wrung it out yet, but it certainly romps hard when you want it to. Hoping to get a good 15yrs out of this one too, so we'll see.

About the only mods coming are some basket racks for gear and some new 6ply tires in the factory size. With the ground clearance of IRS, I really don't need a bigger tire, just something with better construction and a bit more grip. Managed to order the Kenda Bear Claw XLs for about $350.

Now with even more aplomb
GB2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks nice jpro...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Nice ride

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Got the new "grips" bolted on this AM and will be putting it to work this week. I rode it back to back with an older Rubicon 500 full-time 4wd quad and it was night and day. The IRS and power steering make quite the difference.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those are serious baloney skins!

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice bike and good on the Bear Claw tires great all around tire. When I buy a new set of tires for my Rancher 420 & Brute Force 300 (wife's bike) they will be Bear Claws.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was looking for something that was economical and had a tread between a traditional factory knobby and a mud-oriented tire. Seems to fit the bill.

It's kind of funny to me that this machine has basically the same footprint as my old one, with more than twice the engine displacement. No knocks on the Hondas though, as more often than not, a simple solid axle Honda will get the job done and not break down on you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Going on 37 yrs..Never been in a shop.
Did put decals back on it though..75.00
Upgraded too, same model.. Have 2 now

Last edited by LeeC; 06/16/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LeeC
Going on 37 yrs..Never been in a shop.
Did put decals back on it though..75.00
Upgraded too, same model.. Have 2 now
Sweet, I'm still making work of my 99 model.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
These Honda and Yamaha ATV's really last. My Daughter has a 06 450 Yamaha and its still running great after all these years and she uses it every day for her horse stuff. I just picked up a 05 660 with winch, additional running lights and some other stuff with 1200 miles and 243 hours in great condition for 4800. It is a beast.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 86 Honda's were the first brand to have 4 wheel drive.
My father and I had some of the first two that were made.
we traded in 85 4 wheelers for 86 4wd.
I do not want the new high center 4 wheelers, with all the electronics.
These are horses, not fancy but there is a reason why their nickname is the tank.
99 pct, of what you see is from the factory. I will not buy anything excerpt Honda, but that's me.
I understand that other brands have had the same luck, but I can say I have never seen an old one like this out on the trails.
This Honda has seen the highest of peaks, and the lowest of valleys, thousands, and thousands of trail miles.
It has been submerged, up to the fenders in mud. It was not babied, just cared for.

The one I bought, I paid 600.00 more than the one I bought new in 86

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by coyote268
These Honda and Yamaha ATV's really last. My Daughter has a 06 450 Yamaha and its still running great after all these years and she uses it every day for her horse stuff. I just picked up a 05 660 with winch, additional running lights and some other stuff with 1200 miles and 243 hours in great condition for 4800. It is a beast.

You will like that Griz 660!

I’ve got an ‘03 660 I purchased around 2009/2010 with 68 hrs/800 miles. Found it on eBay Motors but the bike was local so I had the opportunity to view and test drive it in person so I knew it was a good bike.
Seller bought bikes at auctions and fixed them up to sell. He’d just picked this one up, hadn’t even gone through the bike to see if anything was wrong with it. It had a rusty rear rack…the rest of the bike looked almost new. He had it listed for $4,600.
Like I said, I test drove it….offered him $3,800 cash…that’s all I had on me at the moment and was the budget my wife had given me to work with….He said the magic word(Sold!) and I loaded it up in the truck.

Put a new rear rack on it for $180, and the Tamarack front box, $135. It’s been a gem of a bike!
Still looks really good for it’s age. I ride it pretty hard when I do but I do wash it after each ride and have always stored it in the garage, so, I do baby it a bit.😁…still no rust or cracked/faded plastic. Maxxis Bighorns on it now. It’s made about 7-8 trips out West for muleys and elk. Has about 3000 miles on it now….doesn’t get used enough but it’s mine and it’s always ready when I need it.

I’m sure it’ll last another decade or so.😁

Attached Images
IMG_0245.jpeg (14.88 KB, 333 downloads)
IMG_0244.jpeg (15.51 KB, 331 downloads)
Last edited by Leftybolt; 06/20/23.
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Sharp bike. First 4x4 ATV I ever rode was one of the old 350 Foreman machines. They were indeed tanks. Lots of them and the 300s still in operation. The drum brakes were a pain, and the full-time 4x4 wasn't always the best for steering and turn radius, but they were simple and durable.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’ve got a 2016 Kodiak 700 and love it. Great machine, and I’d bet you will get 15+ years from it.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Honda/Yamaha, the ONLY brands to consider for atv, bikes, anything off road, PERIOD! Enjoy!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My 86 Honda's were the first brand to have 4 wheel drive.
My father and I had some of the first two that were made.
we traded in 85 4 wheelers for 86 4wd.
I do not want the new high center 4 wheelers, with all the electronics.
These are horses, not fancy but there is a reason why their nickname is the tank.
99 pct, of what you see is from the factory. I will not buy anything excerpt Honda, but that's me.
I understand that other brands have had the same luck, but I can say I have never seen an old one like this out on the trails.
This Honda has seen the highest of peaks, and the lowest of valleys, thousands, and thousands of trail miles.
It has been submerged, up to the fenders in mud. It was not babied, just cared for.

The one I bought, I paid 600.00 more than the one I bought new in 86

I have a 2001 Honda Foreman 450 that has who knows how many miles on it. The only thing I've had to replace is the choke cable. I just gave it to my son for his HS graduation. It's going to get replaced with a Honda Foreman or a Yamaha Kodiak 700.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congratulations on the new atv. It's a really nice looking one.

They are seriously handy. I've owned several now. Two honda's and a yamaha grizz. Seems that I always gravitate back towards the honda's though there's nothing wrong with any of the name brands. They're all about the same.

But, I don't like electric shift anything. Which is what I have now, and to be honest, thinking really hard about converting it over to a foot shift.

Bear claw tires are great. That's what's on my 420 fourtrax and I love them. They last a long time too so you get your money worth out of them. I'm not sure how many miles are on mine, but they still have a lot of life left in them and are more than 10 years old now. Even under heavy load, my tires seldom ever spin with them. And this is going up places steeper than many peoples' roofs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on the new rig! It looks nice.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My son is still using my old 02 660 Grizz and the only things that have been done to it besides oil, anti-freeze, and air filter maintenance is I have replaced both rear axles, and replaced the throttle cable and choke lever. Don't have a clue how many miles it has, the display has fogged over being in the sun. The other amazing thing is I put 29x12-12 Maxxis bighorn originals on it in about 04 and they are at about 50% now.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!! Congrats!

This winter I plan on looking hard for one of the older 250-350cc ATVs. I could likely get by with 2WD, but would prefer to have the option of 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.