for small fry cartridges like the 22 K-Hornet that is.

Okay, for fun today I decided to shoot some 40 gr. Speer SSPs with AA1680 to see if primers would make a big difference on groups. I didn't take the chronograph out. That might have been interesting to see if there was a correlation between velocity and primers. But I didn't, so this is what happened.

It is hardly a complete test, but the weather was great and there weren't too many out at the range today. I had a bunch of Prvi Partizan primed cases and a bunch of 1680.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

First, I got a scope sighted in for my 6BR. Nothing special. Mission accomplished.

The main event was my 22 K-Hornet today. 10 shots - 40 total - to test S&B, Ginex, Winchester and CCI 450 magnum primers. Forty shots isn't enough, but the weather was great and they were loaded up. I will try this test a few more times, but will add Fiocchi primers, and some other powders.

The result of today's little test? 10 shots at 50 yards.

1. Sellier and Bellot - 1 inch group.
2. Winchester - 1.14 inch group
3. Tie for last - Ginex and CCI 450s - 1.50 inch groups.

The picture below needs an explanation. I did not include the two low shots for the CCI target. There was interference from a shooter in the next lane. I am sure that they would have been up with the rest. Still, there was a 1.5 inch spread between the other 8 shots, so it wouldn't have affected the result...or it might have made it worse! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada