Print Thread
Hop To
#18461149 05/29/23
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone try fishing with a Spey rod on the Russian or Kenai for sockeyes or silvers. The concept seems sound but unsure how a rod that long would actually work.
To long? Cumbersome? To heavy?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely no on the Russian...

I have caught many salmon on spey rods of many iterations over many years. Spey fishing is not known as the way to whack and srack a ton of sockeyes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Agree.

Fun way to fish Kenai silvers though.

I guess the bigger question for the OP is … do you spey cast?

The tug is the drug …

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Agree.

Fun way to fish Kenai silvers though.

I guess the bigger question for the OP is … do you spey cast?

The tug is the drug …
Absolutely! Surprisingly difficult question to answer to anyone that does not understand the tug...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Never felt the tug. Never owned, or even held, a spey rod. That is why I was looking for advice from others who have.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never owned a spey rod but have used one a couple times. I don't see and need on the Kenai as silvers are usually caught close to the bank and the Russian River just isn't large enough. The large rivers in western Alaska would be a better use for a spey rod IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Never felt the tug. Never owned, or even held, a spey rod. That is why I was looking for advice from others who have.
Thanks
A single hand spey cast is very useful in many ways and places. But that is with a typical 9' rod.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've never owned a spey rod but have used one a couple times. I don't see and need on the Kenai as silvers are usually caught close to the bank and the Russian River just isn't large enough. The large rivers in western Alaska would be a better use for a spey rod IMO.
I agree 100%.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really enjoy swinging flies with a spey on the Kenai in October. You can get some feisty rainbows and chrome silvers. Beats dead drifting beads by miles as far as fun goes. If I could find some spare time I'd be down on the Kasilof trying to swing up a King right now!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think a 2 handed Spey rod on the Russian during the peak of the Red run sounds like a blast. I’d be up for watching….😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Own three Spey rods and they're wonderful for streams that are about 20+ yds wide and especially so on big water. Totally different casting action and a bit difficult to master if one has single handed for 20 or 30 seasons. If that's the case, get out with someone with experience for a couple sessions or go to a Spey Clave if there's one in the region. Claves can be great as all kinds of rod builders and line manufacturers show up with gear and one is free to try everything out. Had a Clave here near Portland for about 20 years, and there was probably half a million bucks of gear available to experiment with.

A lot less effort to cast (buddies with shoulder issues have gone that route), as one's hands are rarely if ever above shoulder height. One has more time with his flies in the water too, since there is no false casting.

Spey rods handle wind effectively, and in some instances, wind can be a blessing. Also, one can stand with his back against a wall or beneath an overhead tree and still blast out 40 or 50 yds of line.

I still trout small streams and lakes with my single handers, but exclusively use Spey gear now for steelheading.

The classic Spey rods where huge heavy instruments, but today's gear is extremely light. I still favor long rods (like 15 or 16 footers), but many are going to Scandi or Switch rods that are down into the 9 to 10 foot range and amendable to smaller waters.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/30/23.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have caught many salmon on spey rods of many iterations over many years. Spey fishing is not known as the way to whack and srack a ton of sockeyes.

I pick all of mine out of a gillnet.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the best way to catch sockeye on the Kenai River is drifting a 5 footer off a boat

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I pick all of mine out of a gillnet.
Ahhhhh.... born with no soul! wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.