Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Posted above right after surf fishing mouth of Kenai for halibut. Reason I asked is I had two herring left from s previous attempt and a fresh pkg of sardines from the hardware store. The herring seemed to stay on the hook better, but I only used one sardine toward the end, in rough surf. Not a good comparison maybe.

You might say I was just floundering around - (herring caught)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 06/01/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OMG - you ate a Starry? Hope you had a bucket of tartar sauce to choke it down smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The meat doesn't taste terrible, the issue is it releases enzymes when it dies that turns the flesh to mush in a few hours.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The meat doesn't taste terrible, the issue is it releases enzymes when it dies that turns the flesh to mush in a few hours.
I think you may be confusing this with arrowtooth flounder. Starry just rank low on taste and texture. Arrowtooth have enzymes, like you said that turns them to bitter mush.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bigger, filet-able starrys seem to come in close when the kings run, so we filet them up sometimes. They're not top-shelf fare, but they're not bad. We're not fish snobs. (Better than them Irish suckers too! 😆)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I think you may be confusing this with arrowtooth flounder. Starry just rank low on taste and texture. Arrowtooth have enzymes, like you said that turns them to bitter mush.

I've never tried arrowtooth, but have eaten starry and it wasn't that bad.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
The bigger, filet-able starrys seem to come in close when the kings run, so we filet them up sometimes. They're not top-shelf fare, but they're not bad. We're not fish snobs. (Better than them Irish suckers too! 😆)
Oh lord.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have filleted a bunch of Irish lords and they are not all alike... generally for Asians and they made them quite palatable.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've never tried arrowtooth, but have eaten starry and it wasn't that bad.
Arrowtooth is inedible bitter mush.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have filleted a bunch of Irish lords and they are not all alike... generally for Asians and they made them quite palatable.
they work well as halibut bait....

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salted herring.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Back from the Hills

The flounder tasted ok- I'll probably do it again. Went well with the lobster main dish.

First off, I bled it immediately - never hurts anything for taste . Unlike the first time years ago, I looked up info and recipes, then KISS.

One one side of skinless fillets, I put garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, salt, breaded in corn meal, pan fried in butter.

The breading gave it a slight crust and held the patties together. most of the flavor came from the seasoning - almost no flavor from the fish itself. Texture inside the slight crust was about like mashed taters.

I read on line that the"fishy taste" could be removed by a milk soak.

If you don't want to taste fish, why the hell are you eating fish??? Wierd!!!!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.