Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I went out this morning also, but more problems than just high grass. Out of staters! Years ago when I first came to the valley I hunted everywhere for coyotes, gophers, and prairie dogs. Ranchers welcomed a responsible shooter. Over the years, the ranches have been slowly gobbled up by corporations, or out of staters. Of course, no hunting is the result. I have one or two ranches I can still shoot gophers on. One was very good. Now the out of staters have horned in and are shooting it every day. Two loads of Arkies this morning. Like our fishing which was ruined by greenies from Colorado, this too is becoming too much trouble to bother with. I am even thinking of selling a large portion of my rimfire collection. That is their main purpose gopher shooting.
Until a few years ago, bags of 2-300 per morning were routine. Better shooting could be had, but this was just few hours in the morning or evening. Now 50 is a great day. I hate to see it, but just like the Indians and the buffalo looks like it is over.

Molon Labe
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I went out this morning also, but more problems than just high grass. Out of staters! Years ago when I first came to the valley I hunted everywhere for coyotes, gophers, and prairie dogs. Ranchers welcomed a responsible shooter. Over the years, the ranches have been slowly gobbled up by corporations, or out of staters. Of course, no hunting is the result. I have one or two ranches I can still shoot gophers on. One was very good. Now the out of staters have horned in and are shooting it every day. Two loads of Arkies this morning. Like our fishing which was ruined by greenies from Colorado, this too is becoming too much trouble to bother with. I am even thinking of selling a large portion of my rimfire collection. That is their main purpose gopher shooting.
Until a few years ago, bags of 2-300 per morning were routine. Better shooting could be had, but this was just few hours in the morning or evening. Now 50 is a great day. I hate to see it, but just like the Indians and the buffalo looks like it is over.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Yep! Out of staters can be an issue with the decline

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Pardon my slow reply - been super busy hosting out of state Varminters, going fishing, gunshows, relatives and some travel.
VarmintGuy

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
"I am NOT sure about states like Nevada and kalifornicationkopia as to when their Ground Squirrels "appear"? Maybe they are up all year in some latitudes?"

I believe California has Beechey Ground Squirrels. Ground squirrels are pretty much around all year here in California at 1000 ft. They have funny habits. They come out late in the morning, take a siesta when it's hot in the afternoon, stay under when it's cold. I shot about 600 last year according to my spent 223 cases. After all the rain this winter, they're a bit hard to see this year. I've noticed quite a few young ones running around.

It's interesting to me that they have some resistance to rattlesnake venom and have some tricks to fool the snakes. Theirs a pretty good article on Wikipedia on California Ground Squirrels if interested.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Yaddio: Thanks for that tip - I will look that article up.
Yesterday late, after a thunder shower, the local Ground Squirrels were out and about at 7:00 P.M. (which is later than normal go underground for the day times) gathering the wet grass and scurrying it down into their dens.
Little guys never go down to the creek (nor to the mud puddles) to drink water - they simply live off of the moisture on and in the grass they gather.
Yeah here-abouts are Ground Squirrels start their estivation (underground torpor) on about August 8th and aren't seen above ground til 7 months later (March of the next year).
Interesting little creatures.
I was NOT aware of their immunity to snake bites.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
203 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.