Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ordered some.

You ain't about that life.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice looking bullet but they are proud of em! I will still probly order some though 😁....Hb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, they are spendy...a big jump over even Barnes. I've been tempted to try them, but I'll stick with the TTSXs.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like about an 80% price bump over TTSX offerings in similar weights. That's getting up there.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah they are pricey. I just bought some TTSX .277 110 gr. for $27.71 a box from Powder Valley. Hammer just had a 12% off sale on them so that helped a little. I’m not a paper puncher any way so 150 bullets will have me set for life. I want to see what all the hype is about. LOL

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice looking bullet but they are proud of em! I will still probly order some though 😁....Hb

I agree! That said, so far they have been the easiest to work up a load with (at least with the non-tipped versions, and also always in stock!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They are made on a Swiss lathe vs extruded like a Barnes that might explain the difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is performance much different than the barnes version? I like the TTSX and LRX and have been happy so far. I have wondered what the hammers gain you over the barnes?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Partagas
Is performance much different than the barnes version? I like the TTSX and LRX and have been happy so far. I have wondered what the hammers gain you over the barnes?

My understanding is the pedals break off and the core keeps going.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TTSX work great for me. I just shot a big hog in Texas with a 7 x 57 140 grain TTSX and it damn near lifted it off of its feet. Stumbled about 5 feet and fell over. Pretty typical performance for me anyway. I am sure the Hammers are great but very pricey.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

I agree! That said, so far they have been the easiest to work up a load with (at least with the non-tipped versions, and also always in stock!
Agree.

Seems to me they’re less COAL sensitive than Barnes and overall, may be a tad more accurate.

They are expensive, but how many do we actually shoot at game. Of course may take a few to work up loads. After that, not that many, at least for me. Practice with cheaper stuff.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Originally Posted by Partagas

My understanding is the pedals break off and the core keeps going.

If those petals break off early in the penetration path, like in a shoulder for example, that could spell trouble. Anxious to see/read reports.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
MY 257 Weatherby mag rifles like Hammer bullets better than Barnes for accuracy . matter fact my rifle has never shot so well tell i started using 103 gr. Hammer Hunters with Reloader 25 power i have no reason to try anything else speed is 3680 FPS average 3 shot groups at 100 yds. 1/2 - 3/4 groups and so far these Hammer bullets kill well too. these are the rifles of mine i have used 2 - Ruger #1 Brux barrels 10 twist , 1 - Weatherby mark 5 fiber stock Brux barrel 8 twist , 1 - Weatherby mark 5 Accumark 10 twist , 1 pre-64 Winchester 70 lilja barrel 10 twist all custom . these 257 Weatherby mag. rifles all shoot fantastic with these Hammer bullets > accuracy cost money most of the time.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have killed a fair number of varied game, i.e. not just American game, with the X, TSX and TTSX and see no reason to change. Loads are developed for my 270 Montana (elk and hog), 338-06 (black bear, grizzly bear, mule deer, nilgai and elk), 9.3x62 (the range of typical African plains game), 358 Win (the range of typical African plains game), 35 Whelen (moose, elk, black bear and nilgai) and 416 Rem (buffalo on down) and see zero reason to change.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
For the price, having the tips not already assembled is not a great selling point.

I do often see Hammer bullets used for test targets for rifles such as Cooper.

I don't see the shedding petals as something I would look for in a hunting bullet. There are times when a perfect shot angle just isn't happening. I'd want to know the bullet had as much expansion possible while retaining most of the weight. I'm ok with an occasional shear off of one petal on heavy bone. But not ok with just a caliber size bullet driving through to the exit

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why are people always looking for another product, to solve a problem that really doesn't exist?

Because its new, people think its the new answer to these problems that don't exist...

Until the next new answer is introduced by someone else, next season.

there are a few of us who actually have been using the same stuff for 40 years or more... and it still works just fine.

So good luck to anyone who wants to try out something new every year.

I'll use what has been working me just fine for the last 4 plus decades.

despite the new fancy names that they give their new product... like "THE HAMMER!"

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Precisely why I have been using the Barnes stuff for years, though most often on the bigger than deer stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Why are people always looking for another product, to solve a problem that really doesn't exist?

Because its new, people think its the new answer to these problems that don't exist...

Until the next new answer is introduced by someone else, next season.

there are a few of us who actually have been using the same stuff for 40 years or more... and it still works just fine.

So good luck to anyone who wants to try out something new every year.

I'll use what has been working me just fine for the last 4 plus decades.

despite the new fancy names that they give their new product... like "THE HAMMER!"
Given that, why did you try the Sierra GameChanger bullet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably because hammer bullets are available and old faithful bullets from Nosler are Mia.

Phuuck Nosler.

They are putting all of their production into loaded ammo with huge profit margins, and turning their back on handloaders.

What usually happens when the bean counters get control of a company.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.