Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The "Plain Jane" version.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IIRC, Blue Vein Micarta ( what I call it, anywho), A2 Steel

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nothing plain about that blue line, G.

Great knives

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are very good reasons why people NEED custom knives. Gotta eat a good piece of meat in style!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sns2
There are very good reasons why people NEED custom knives. Gotta eat a good piece of meat in style!

What is that anyway a gerbil steak ? And what's that shyt around it ? Don't think I'd need a knife for that bitty piece of meat. Barely enough there for a bite.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by sns2

What is that anyway a gerbil steak ? And what's that shyt around it ? Don't think I'd need a knife for that bitty piece of meat. Barely enough there for a bite.

sns2,

I thought I might take a moment to interject a couple comments.

IIRC, I have been posting in the Knives and blades forum for about 10 years, maybe more, as my memory is not what it once was.

One of the unique things about this forum has been the comity among the folks that post here.

Rarely does one encounter snide or disparaging remarks in regards to the edged implements displayed in different threads, especially of a personal nature.

In consideration of our PM's I believe you are somewhat new to collecting knives by custom makers, and I compliment you on your choices, excitement and enthusiasm.

I've recently become aware of the fellow who calls himself Blackheart. It would seem that is a fitting sobriquet.

I do not believe I have read one of his posts that does not denigrate nor disparage. He, posting something positive or edifying, fugggedabboudit!

During the last decade I've owned quite a few Menefee's. That one looks like etched A2 steel, red liners and Jigged G10 scales. That combo in a Lil' Dumplin is somewhat rare and to be treasured. I had one once but gave it away for a good cause.

I would be interested to know how you came by that one. PM me if you like.

BTW, although being a hack photographer, I do take considerable time, effort and care in composing my knife photos. Let me compliment you on your composition.

Would enjoy details about the different elements of the meal, and the Menefee.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/30/23.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Geedubya, thank you for the comment on that knife. It is not the one you had, but I extend the compliment that you too have good taste:). Last fall, I wanted to order a set of Rick’s knives for my son and I. Like you, I am a sucker for nice wood, so I searched far and wide for two sets of scales that were premium. The wood I picked for this a2 Dumpling was originally a crazy gorgeous set of spalted maple. The knives arrived, and damned if the scales on the Dumpling didn’t start cracking all over. I called Rick and he said get the knife down here and he’d look after it. I contacted the wood guy, Mr Terry Dunn of TNT Enterprises in Texas, sent him the pics, and he said it was the first time in over 10 years he’s seen that. By the end of the day, I had a choice of a number of equally nice scales as a replacement. Terry, like Rick, is a class act. After shooting a few texts back and forth, I asked Rick to put on black jigged Micarta, toxic green liners, and to acid etch the blade as dark as he could. Somewhere on this thread, a fellow had that particular knife done, and one of the boys called it “pimp tight.” It had red liners, so I wanted green so as to not have the exact same as he had out of respect. Unfortunately, Rick’s supplier ended up not having green liners at the time. I tried. I do like red also.

All I can say is Rick was stellar to work with.

As to your comment to that fellow who has nothing better to do than be rude to strangers, thanks. I began posting on this forum after years of moderating a different outdoors forum that unfortunately had all too many of those type. I liked that there was a level of self enforced decorum here which encouraged sharing of pics and friendly banter. There will always be a few. No need to add to what you said, as you nailed it.

The steak was Alberta Beef. Top sirloin. Was testing out a new bbq, and giving her the first run around the track. We did have a bit more. Cheddar / jalapeño pork sausage, and mango jalapeño chicken sausage as well (what a great combo).

I teach cooking for a living, exclusively to high school students with cognitive disabilities, and was just experimenting with the mushrooms. I sautéed them in olive oil, salt, Franks Red Hot, lots of sugar and fresh chopped mint, grilled pineapple chunks, and a generous amount of Vietnamese fish sauce. It was a winner! The only thing I would add next time is fresh Thai basil and it would be perfect.

Here was the rest of the grub, so as to know my family aren’t gerbils:)

Last edited by sns2; 05/31/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Excellent knife and well said G

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks men!

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Modified Loveless with sculpted mammoth ivory.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those are nice.

You’ve got skills.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dayum.....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Dang fine work! Is that one order?

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Always top shelf stuff.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Woke up this mornin and needed a shave. To be specific, my right arm was looking a little scruffy:)

Last edited by sns2; 07/10/23.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's badass, Shane

VinceM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

" Rib Knife " very recently built by Rick.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Anyone have pictures of Rick’s semi-skinner? Don’t want to search back through 142 pages.

Thanks.

Frank

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My first..........

Etched A2 Steel.

ya!

GWB

Page 143 of 144 1 2 141 142 143 144

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.