Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought lock back about 30 years ago. due to low price and lightweight. It was ok knife for peeling apples and potatoes. I still have multi-tool made in USA from that time. I have it in glove compartment of my vehicle. Surprisingly rust spots developed despite claim of being SS.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For two-footed target: 9mm in Lehigh Extreme Defense, Black Talon equivalent (Ranger), HST and Gold Dot.

If you're going to disturb bears with your bicycle bell...get hardcast WFN or solids in larger caliber handguns (.44magnum, .480Ruger. .454, etc.

9mm will work with a truckload of hostiles, but better left home when playing with bears!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
What is your actual point??

Slavek/Maser just says stupid stuff to see if he can any sort of reply. Any reply. He gets off on it. He goes to Wiki/Google, gets some info, and posts whatever, just to get a response. Maser/Slavek/Cardenas literally has about as much actual firearms experience as most here do being a space shuttle pilot on moon flights. He only wants reactions, that is why the majority of us just skip over his posts, the same as we step around dog schidt on the sidewalk.

Well, if the guy is interested in body armor penetration your advice is not worth a [bleep]. Have you considered upgrading to good American knife like Bark River? What is better Gerber knife or Gerber baby food? I ask because I never had Gerber baby food.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's hard to say what's the absolute best. But I know that a 22 BNH hardcast bullet would be in the running.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by viking
In what? Game or car doors?

Car doors and other common barriers. I should have said that. I allways understood that 147 fnfmj were the best but alot of new bullets out there. So I asked to get up to date info..mb

Just this simple. EDC is a 9mm the 147's have allways shot closer to.point of aim in my various 9mm pistols with non adj height rear sights.. thank you for the replies...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
It would be hard to beat the sagebrush rounds. Someday I’ll get around to ordering some in 9, 10,45 and maybe 38.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Heavy hard cast bullets like the ones Mackay Sagebrush sells, or the Buffalo Bore equivalent. In an FMJ load I would look at the Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO loading. If you want some expansion with the penetration, look at Hornady Critical Duty 135gr+P. What is the purpose of the load, penetration in large game animals or hard objects line wood, sheet metal or auto glass?

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Same as I said above car doors and other common barriers..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Heavy hard cast bullets like the ones Mackay Sagebrush sells, or the Buffalo Bore equivalent. In an FMJ load I would look at the Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO loading. If you want some expansion with the penetration, look at Hornady Critical Duty 135gr+P. What is the purpose of the load, penetration in large game animals or hard objects line wood, sheet metal or auto glass?

Hornady Critical Duty WILL penetrate auto glass and sheet metal, nicely and some carry it as a duty load.

For the perp shooting from behind the outbuildings, outhouse or behind a refrigerator, break out the .44 magnum with heavy hardcast.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much any police duty rated ammo can punch through some barriers when fired out of a duty length barrel because that is an element of the design parameters. Once you get into big critter defense or the kind of hard core barrier penetration needs referenced by Mackay_Sagebrush, it’s time to go with the hard casts or solid mono-metals. Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some test media for a fun day at the range.

Here’s a plain old standard pressure 124 grain Speer Gold Dot fired out a 3.7 inch barrel.

Notwithstanding those results, I keep some spare magazines loaded with Mackay's +P hard cast and with Xtreme Penetetrators for critter defense or situations requiring stout barrier penetration.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guess I'm setting ok I was at a gunshow in late Feb and a guy has a table full of ammo. I picked up the last 5 boxes of that 124 gdhp 9mm ammo he had at 15 a box. I have several thousand 9 mm reloads for practice including full power 147's..mb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Mackay's hardcast sold here!
This! Great ammo and an even better dude!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by Esox357
Mackay's hardcast sold here!

This would be my choice

My choice also. I shot one into 20% ballistic gel (not 10%) and it penetrated 22." Which would be about 36.75" in 10 % gel

That load punches through sheet metal pretty darn easily as we have discovered. Same with cow heads, wood, ballistic gel, and various intermediate barriers.

When the riots were happening a while back and various groups were being mostly peaceful and dragging individuals out of their cars, shooting them, running people over, using a car as a weapon and various other methods of attacks against innocent people, I swapped out all my JHPs for heavy+P hard cast 9mms. They were a better choice for all around trail and defense use in my opinion.

Since we are about to enter another major and important national election, I expect that we will see more of this. I will definitely be carrying the heavy hardcast as my primary loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cant say enough about how good your ammo is and love supporting one of our own! I havent found a gun that they dont shoot well in yet

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gunchamp waving those pom-poms
Cant say enough about how good your ammo is and love supporting one of our own! I havent found a gun that they dont shoot well in yet
Get a room.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by gunchamp waving those pom-poms
Get a room.
Jealousy isnt a good look f ucknut

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Until he took his site down, (for reasons unknown), the guy at General Cartridge 10% gel tested popular ammunition.
Underwood 9mm 147gr hardcast flat nose (close to a true WFN)consistently penetrated 64+"(all four gel blocks). Lehigh Extreme Penetrator would penetrate around 40+" and Nato 124gr would go about 24".
10mm 220gr flat nose would also do 64"+.
Underwood 200gr flat nose 40sw would do about 50".

I have no reason to doubt that anyone's 147gr hardcast flat nose would penetrate similarly.

The hard part is getting the bullets, if you reload, as the boutique ammo makers seem to have the supply locked up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I'll just make my own I have a 147 fn mold and 40 lbs of lino. When I run out of jacketed 147's..mb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by viking
In what? Game or car doors?

Car doors and other common barriers. I should have said that. I allways understood that 147 fnfmj were the best but alot of new bullets out there. So I asked to get up to date info..mb

Originally Posted by dla
Until he took his site down, (for reasons unknown), the guy at General Cartridge 10% gel tested popular ammunition...

OP is talking about car doors, not gel.

I know HC will outperform the Lehigh in gel and water as to penetration, but will underperform as to lateral impact. But, given the tests I've seen, the Lehigh Extreme Penetrators will do better against metal and glass, or anything armored on penetration.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.