Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
So I have a shooting range I’m making. On and old abandoned road. Problem. Is I don’t own the land farther down range. Wanna keep bullets on my side of the fence. I am gonna make a dirt pile but want something more in front of it. Anyone done something More. I was thinking posts with tires over the top. Land is realitively flat

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I'm pretty fortunate, my home range goes out to 760yds, and I basically shoot from hill to hill. The majority of my backstops are dug into my hill side. On the one berm I had to make I used railroad ties for thae back side and filled with dirt. Pictured is my 760yd berm, which is still below one of my hillsides:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This gives you an idea of the topography:

The 760 Berm under construction:

The rounds are going into the hillside, but the berm makes it easier to spot misses.

300-400yd berm:

547 berm:

My normal "hunting practice" setup, TGTs going up my hillside out to 600yds.

Pistol range cut into hillside. The backstop also serves for 100-200yds:

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you know you can hit the back stop, say shots up to 300 yrds, I`ve had good luck with tires piled maybe 4/5 tall, then fill with sand. I also cover the top of the tires after filling, with plywood, to keep high shots from kicking any sand out.

Good Luck

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My home range is fairly short at 300 yards. I cut into a grade so the background behind the target is higher...however, it's a slow incline. To make a true backstop and avoid the chance of any glancing shots, I stacked tires, 3 wide by 3 deep by 5 high, used T-posts connected by wire to keep them upright and aligned, and filled them with dirt.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Threads like these reinforce my belief that any SOB’s that want to get sporty with us will pay dearly! They don’t realize that we have thousands and thousands of snipers that know their terrain and how to shoot. 👍🏼

Nice!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Old Landing Strip makes up the first 1000 yards

This range is up hill from 50 yards to 1800 yards, no back stops

6 shooting tables

Covered observation deck

Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Chuck R, Nice range.

How do you get away with putting a back stop or berm on a power line right of way?

We have 1 power line right a way, 100' wide, but can't put anything on it, even a portable deer blind, with out catching hell from the power co.

Rio7

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by RIO7
Chuck R, Nice range.

How do you get away with putting a back stop or berm on a power line right of way?

We have 1 power line right a way, 100' wide, but can't put anything on it, even a portable deer blind, with out catching hell from the power co.

Rio7

I'm betting they don't even know what it is. I put the steel out when I shoot and recover it when I'm done. It's been there going on 8 years now without an issue. Our ROW is 75' from center and other than hosing down emergent trees with roundup every couple of years I never see the guys maintaining it.

But after reading the actual easement, I don't think they can prevent it anyway. The contract actually specifies/prohibits construction of "objects" that are 10' above grade within the 75' of the center line. So a 6' berm is under their "radar". Worse case, I'd just lever the berm and use the hillside.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 05/31/23.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I live on a place that don't need no stinking backstops.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The op is not really saying what is beyond the land he's shooting on. Only that it is owned by someone else and on flat ground. Is there buildings behind his shooting area? Houses? Etc.. All you guys are posting some cool spots. Some of which would not be allowed where I came from, like shooting down a power line. Don't let the power company catch you doing that schidt. Out here in the desert, though you can use the land as a backstop. Works out quite well and is pretty safe, because there are no roads behind this area and no one is going to be walking in on you:

When I read the OP, I think I'd want a little more info on what is behind where he's shooting. If there are houses or other buildings, forget it. If not, make a dirt berm. Use railroad ties or tires, etc etc..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I live on a place that don't need no stinking backstops.....

Same here. They fall when they fall. Open country.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That looks like alot of work and money for a back stop

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t have one but always dreamed of having one.
I’d go with Rail road ties staked down with re bar and dirt
Probably 2 ties wide set up in a wide V, 6’ tall.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mine is table top flat so it’s not possible to cut into it. I think the rail roads make sense

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My range is across a flat field….300 yards. I have a 500 gallon steel barrel filled with dirt and behind the barrel have a 10 foot tall mound of dirt…..never seen any bullets go thru the barrel into or out the mound of dirt, there have been thousands of rounds fired. Another good backstop is a mound of fallen trees stack up using my Kubota to place them real tall with a mound of dirt for safe measure….cheap and effective.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
There's no one close to us here to worry about, thing we don't do here is shoot prone, if you are prone here you can't see more than 10' thru the weeds and grass, and the sand burr's will eat you up, we shoot off of sticks when hunting and off the bench on the range, we all do what our environment will let us do when shooting. Rio7

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RIO7
There's no one close to us here to worry about, thing we don't do here is shoot prone, if you are prone here you can't see more than 10' thru the weeds and grass, and the sand burr's will eat you up, we shoot off of sticks when hunting and off the bench on the range, we all do what our environment will let us do when shooting. Rio7
Figured you have plenty of illegals running around down there.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
TrueGrit, We have more than our share, but no season on them they are a protected specie. FJB Rio7

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That looks like alot of work and money for a back stop

Well, if you knew where that backstop was located you would understand why it's so stout. Having used it firsthand, I can attest to it's effectiveness......

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.