Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Thanks everyone! Looks like I need a reamer.
Take care all!
Rick

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165253550?pid=253550

Just plan works for $13. Buy an 8-32 coupling nut from the hardware store and chuck it in an electric screwdriver or drill. I bet you can cut out the crimp as fast as any of the swagers.
There's an advantage to swaging over reaming. Reaming removes a bit of brass and will lead to loose primer pockets sooner than if they were swaged instead.

Good point. You hear about guys having issues with loose primer pockets in the FC 223 brass, where I have never seen it. Wondering if those guys reamed the pockets, where I swage them???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good point. You hear about guys having issues with loose primer pockets in the FC 223 brass, where I have never seen it. Wondering if those guys reamed the pockets, where I swage them???

I've had loose primer pockets in Federal 223 brass from factory loaded ammunition, no primer crimp or removal involved.

I've also reamed the crimps out of quite a large number of LC 223/5.56 cases and never had a loose primer pocket in those.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
No broken pin yet with Lee. Use reamer and works good.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Thanks everyone! Looks like I need a reamer.
Take care all!
Rick

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165253550?pid=253550

Just plan works for $13. Buy an 8-32 coupling nut from the hardware store and chuck it in an electric screwdriver or drill. I bet you can cut out the crimp as fast as any of the swagers.

That is what I did and it is fast.

drover

Take a look at the Hornady reamer it is designed so that it will not ream to deeply or allow too much reaming, the bottom of the reamer will hit the bottom of the primer pocket and from that point it will not ream more.

A case of the simple and inexpensive solution.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by devnull
This makes quick work of removing crimps:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000277

It's what I use also.

I de-capp on an old RCBS RockChucker using an RCBS Universal Decapping Die. Then I clean with SS Pins by wet tumbling. After drying in a re-purposed dyhydrator I check all the pockets with a gauge, serte the loose pockets (discard them) and the crimped. When I get enough I run the crimped pockets through the Dillon swager.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 06/01/23.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Regular RCBS dies, Wilson primer pocket reamer and an adapter chucked in a drill clamped in my bench vise. I have it turning slow, can ream crimp out as fast as I can pick them up. I sold my swaging tool when I discovered this. I think I sold it to Seafire.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/31/23.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I swage with the RCBS set up. It works fine for my purposes.

You will break decapping pins with some brass cases with small primer holes. Out of the 1000 mixed range brass I bought I had 7 or 8 of these. Sorry, can't remember the head stamp. I found this out the hard way. If you don't want your operation to be stopped in its tracks, buy some extra pins to have on hand.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use LC, toss the rest, decap and light swage to remove the crimp, then prep all the brass with a case prep center including a pocket uniform currer and a Pro Trim, 3 way cutter. But I do not use Mil for my match brass, ever, commercial only and all preped.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just cut out the primer crimp with a chamfer tool you should already own if you reload rifle brass.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=hanco]Regular RCBS dies, Wilson primer pocket reamer and an adapter chucked in a drill clamped in my bench vise. I have it turning slow, can ream crimp out as fast as I can pick them up. I sold my swaging tool when I discovered this. I think I sold it to Seafire.

Yup ya did! It sits on my reload bench in a convenient spot. Best $50 I've ever spent.

I bring home anywhere from 500 to 1000 pieces of brass a month to every 6 weeks, from range pick up brass. Most of it 223. That little Dillion Swager sure has seen a lot of action here in Oregon, since it left Texas.

Haven't even managed to wear it out yet. Tough and simple little item.

Thanks again for the Swager Hanco!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use a 5/16” counter sink chucked into a drill. Run it to the count of one, and the crimp is gone,

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Seafire
[quote=hanco]Regular RCBS dies, Wilson primer pocket reamer and an adapter chucked in a drill clamped in my bench vise. I have it turning slow, can ream crimp out as fast as I can pick them up. I sold my swaging tool when I discovered this. I think I sold it to Seafire.

Yup ya did! It sits on my reload bench in a convenient spot. Best $50 I've ever spent.

I bring home anywhere from 500 to 1000 pieces of brass a month to every 6 weeks, from range pick up brass. Most of it 223. That little Dillion Swager sure has seen a lot of action here in Oregon, since it left Texas.

I’m glad it is working for you!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Seafire

I’m glad it is working for you!

Old post, but yeah Hanco, I consider it one of my useful tools on the Reload Bench...certainly well worth the cost I bought it from you for...

thanks again Buddy!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use RCBS dies, not so fast in case you have a tough primer, Rcbs will send you free stems if you break one. Awesome service!
I use a cordless drill & a bit about 5/16 or a little bigger & just a second to touch the case & done.
Swaging is to slow & I want the crimp removed not balled up somewhere else. Remember a slight taper at the edge of the
pocket, if you only have a few cases just use yer hand with a bit. Get rid of the edge thats it, don't go too far.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I swage with the RCBS set up. It works fine for my purposes.

You will break decapping pins with some brass cases with small primer holes. Out of the 1000 mixed range brass I bought I had 7 or 8 of these. Sorry, can't remember the head stamp. I found this out the hard way. If you don't want your operation to be stopped in its tracks, buy some extra pins to have on hand.
I don't remember the stamp either but the primer is sealed with pink sealer. They are easy to spot.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
lot of good advice here for you. when you remove the crimp you can either cut it or swag it . if you swag it I especially recommend getting a primer pocket go and no go gauges. you can over swag primer pockets, as well as not swagging them enough. it sucks to have to reduce stuff.. and the gauges are also a good help for some types of cutters.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mathman

I've had loose primer pockets in Federal 223 brass from factory loaded ammunition, no primer crimp or removal involved.

I've also reamed the crimps out of quite a large number of LC 223/5.56 cases and never had a loose primer pocket in those.
Several years back, WalMart sold 100 round value packs of 55 gr fmj 223. It was wonderfully accurate, but the brass had loose primer pockets. That’s the only 223/556 brass I ever saw with loose primer pockets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Several years back, WalMart sold 100 round value packs of 55 gr fmj 223. It was wonderfully accurate, but the brass had loose primer pockets. That’s the only 223/556 brass I ever saw with loose primer pockets.

I have had some Federal ammo and range brass with the loose primer pockets. But, it's been several years in the past. It appears that Federal has heard about the complaints and has fixed the problem.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I picked up a used RCBS swagging set for $10. It seems to work just fine for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a Lee decapping die to punch out many a crimped in primer without problems. You will have to remove the primer crimps by reaming or swaging.

^^^ This ^^^

I use a different brand de-capping tool (Wilson), but that's not important. I punched the primers out. I swaged the primer pockets. Some people prefer reaming/drilling.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.