Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My buddy and I took a humpback ride one afternoon and that was enough for me to be extremely cautious when a lot of whale activity is in the area. It lifted our Grady completely out of the water and then we listed hard to starboard before being set back down. The motor was shut down instantly and the outboard was raised so the whale was uninjured. It stayed by us for a few minutes as if to apologize and then continued along the coast. It was cool but not something I wish to repeat.

Had a humpback come up under us and lift the boat about a foot out of the water. We were drifting the Chevalle Narrows out of Seward. It came up slowly perpendicular to the boat and right about the balance point of the boat. It had been running up and down along where everyone was drifting. A couple hundred yards away from where it came up under us it breached.

Also an experience I don't want to repeat and I prefer to keep my distance from whales

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
aluminum boats arent as tough of some of yall might think.

Start pounding the sht out of an aluminum boat in rough water, the welds can crack near the transom, with all that twin outboard weight hanging off the back.

When that water comes rushing in, they fill up quick. No time for nothing.

My guess is cracked welds, trying to make up lost time in rough water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
aluminum boats arent as tough of some of yall might think.

Start pounding the sht out of an aluminum boat in rough water, the welds can crack near the transom, with all that twin outboard weight hanging off the back.

When that water comes rushing in, they fill up quick. No time for nothing.

My guess is cracked welds, trying to make up lost time in rough water.

Except it remained afloat and was towed in, as I understand it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Most have flotation chambers built in, but it was still capsized. One side may have began sinking, then rough water must've overturned the boat violently enough that the folks couldn't stay with the boat.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Most have flotation chambers built in, but it was still capsized. One side may have began sinking, then rough water must've overturned the boat violently enough that the folks couldn't stay with the boat.
I get where you are going, but a gambler would not likely narrow the options so quickly. Human error seems much more likely...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My encounter was very similar to yours except I had not seen whales along that stretch close to the beach but luckily my buddy and I saw it and responded immediately….it was perfect, couldn’t have been faster. Also thankfully it caught us amidship as well and I think we were between 24-36” out of the water when it gently re-floated the boat. It was quiet (motor shutdown before moments before contact) and very gentle. My buddy and I had the same instinct worrying about the fluke so we ducked below the gunnels but we were all in sync that day and now she has a cool story to tell her calf someday since none of us got hurt. 😀

I’ve been very very close to whales many times when the humpbacks teach their calves how to scrape against the rocks and shell beaches, like right alongside our boat looking at us and breathing their delicious breath but I never expected to get a quick ride. 😀

Whales are cool critters.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very sad in any event

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took this picture of these two humpbacks while fishing myself a few years ago, about 50 yards from our boat, you gotta respect their size and power!

Humpback vs. aluminum boat, the boat loses.

Bye, Bye bait ball.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/31/23.

KB

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cool pic!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Took this picture of these two humpbacks while fishing myself a few years ago, about 50 yards from our boat, you gotta respect their size and power!

Bye, Bye bait ball.

That is seriously cool!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Bye, Bye bait ball.

Originally Posted by Westman
Cool pic!!!

That is seriously cool!

Thanks, gentlemen cool

I have to admit I got very lucky.

While we were fishing for Chinook and Coho over a Herring bait ball I noticed some Killer Whales come charging in right by our Kingfisher boat to feed on the Chinook. The salmon were attacking the bait ball, and while that was happening I noticed these two Humpbacks coming in as well, they were I suspect following the Killer Whales.

I noticed a circle of bubbles appear on the surface. Lucky for me I was watching a Nature show on Humpbacks a few weeks before on TV, and in the show, they explained that Humpbacks blow a circle of air bubbles around the Herring in order to group them tighter then they come up from below with their mouths open and swallow the Herring that are in a tighter ball. In the picture, you can see a few herring escaping.

When I saw the circle of bubbles I grabbed my camera and held it in the middle of the circle of bubbles, when they breached I snapped the picture. The timing was perfect and my Captain told me that it was the best picture of whales that he has ever seen and he has been fishing and guiding for 35 years.

Gotta love fishing in the Pacific and one thing is for sure, everything in the water is eating another type of prey. Eat or be eaten, unless you are a whale and even the humpback calves get eaten by Killer Whales.

I was pretty happy to have taken the picture since I am in no way a professional photographer. This is the picture taken of me when we got back to shore that day, I caught all the fish in the picture myself, fun times.

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great picture!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great picture!

Couldn't wipe that excremental grin of KB's face with a Brillo pad

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
😂

I can’t blame him though. 👍🏼

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Great picture!

Couldn't wipe that excremental grin of KB's face with a Brillo pad

Not even with an electric power sander lol

Just in the process of booking my trip for June, Prince Rupert here I come! wink

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Westman
Originally Posted by Calvin
Charter boats have been fishing off the cape in foul weather for 30 years without incident. No safety gear would have most likely prevented it and if boats only fished on nice days, they wouldn't fish much at all. In fact, the LAMP area in Sitka forces the charter boats to fish out in the ocean on rough days. The lodge has some questions to answer about check in times and policy for reporting overdue boats, but again, that wouldn't have likely changed the outcome. It's common practice for boats to run in pairs too should an incident arise.

Lets see if the coasties can come up with a cause for this one. They have the boat. For all we know the boat had a whale land on it.

Or a whale gets tangled in the anchor line. When I fished out of Sitka the skipper was real nervous when whales breached nearby. No idea how often that would happen but it wouldn't be good...
A whale tangled in an anchor line from the Raven out of Kodiak a number of years ago. Two guys sitting there eating breakfast and the boat does a handstand. A whole lot of thrashing continued for quite a while. The whale finally expired but they could not shake it free. They ended up buoying off the anchor line and coming back some time later to recover it. They had to make at least two trips before they finally got it free.

The Raven is a limit seiner, many times the size of a 6-pack boat.

No whale is a benign creature if they tangle in any lines. We had nothing larger than a mature beluga get wrapped in the lines of a subsistence salmon set net years ago. It balled everything up and dragged the whole mess several hundred yards from where it had been set. It was choppy when I went to check it and had a bit of a time locating it. I pretty much knew what to expect, so when I found it, I immediately tied it to the rail on my 19 foot skiff. I was a bit surprised when that big white ghost appeared out of the murky green water and expelled the lightest puff of breath. Darned thing was alive, if barely, or so it seemed. Since I was less than 1/2 mile from shore, I figured I'd just motor in to the beach and we could dispatch it and take care of it. However, once the motor was fired up and the prop turned, that whale decided it was having none of that and proceeded to dragged the whole business toward an old barge anchored offshore in spite of 90 HP of ineffectiveness trying to counter his "tired" efforts. There was little else to do but shut the engine down, get on the radio, and request firepower. Even a "nearly dead" little whale is nothing to trifle with.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That does NOT sound like fun. The power of nature is amazing!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Alaska State Troopers have identified the five people on a fishing charter boat that capsized in rough weather in the sea off Sitka as four visitors from Hawaii and California, and a local boat operator.

One person’s body was recovered Sunday night. Troopers on Wednesday identified the person as Maury Agcaoili, 57, of Waipahu, Hawaii. Agcaoili’s body was found in the water near the boat.

The U.S. Coast Guard suspended a search for the four other people missing from the boat on Monday night after covering about 825 square miles over 20 hours.

Still missing are:

• Danielle Agcaoili, 53, also of Waipahu, Hawaii.

• Robert Solis, 61, and Brandi Tyau, 56, both of Canoga Park, Calif.

• Boat operator Morgan Robidou, 32, of Sitka.

On Wednesday, efforts to recover the partially submerged boat were “ongoing,” troopers said in a statement. “Conditions on scene have been rough seas and strong wind.”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So much for the report that the boat was in tow to Sitka.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So much for the report that the boat was in tow to Sitka.

I thought the same thing

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 2UP, 257 mag, 21 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.