Print Thread
Hop To
#18464854 05/31/23
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
CPW drew deer tags tags this morning. I will be going on an eastern plains deer hunt in late October.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saddlesore, there are some really big deer out here near Wray!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Luck was on my side too! I’ll be back in the old familiar spot in the camp with the big green army tent for the 3rd rifle season. I usually buy a bull tag but I’ll be chasing a big buck this fall. Been over 20 years since I killed a big one, hopefully the stars align in November.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
didn't draw 77 second. Second year in a row. That used to be a reliable every other year (1 point) unit.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drew Kansas last year to hunt family property, shot a 164 day one. Invited my good friend and son to enter draw this year, they drew, I did not! I guess I'm guiding this year!

IC B2

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just put in for a point this year without a 2nd choice. I now have 20 deer points. Normally I do a point as first choice and one of those season antlerless select hunts for the area around unit 102 as a 2nd choice. This way I get the point and get a whitetail doe but my work schedule is different this year and I didn't want to buy a tag I may not be able to use.

I really need to decide what to cash my points in for.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MAC
Just put in for a point this year without a 2nd choice. I now have 20 deer points. Normally I do a point as first choice and one of those season antlerless select hunts for the area around unit 102 as a 2nd choice. This way I get the point and get a whitetail doe but my work schedule is different this year and I didn't want to buy a tag I may not be able to use.

I was in the same situation a few years ago. Having that many points got to be a burden. I finally drew and was glad to get it over with.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MAC

Whitetails took a big hit from EHD in few year ago in all that local. I hunt a little west of there and when we would run 12-20 whitetails out the corn when combining, now we see 3-4. Unit 103 ( Bonney reservoir), you could count 70-80 in the co-op hay fields, now it is 6-7. 103 and part of 109 have the limited WT doe license for the January hunt,

Arickaree River bottom (102) use to be known for some big bucks, but I have not heard anything for a few years. I assume you have access to private land out there. Also there is a season choice draw.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Arickaree River bottom (102) use to be known for some big bucks, but I have not heard anything for a few years. I assume you have access to private land out there. Also there is a season choice draw.

My family homesteaded in Wray and some are still there. I can access somewhere between 10K and 15K acres on a phone call. That's why I always did the anterless season choice hunt. But this year it ain't gonna happen.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by saddlesore

My family homesteaded in Wray and some are still there. I can access somewhere between 10K and 15K acres on a phone call. That's why I always did the anterless season choice hunt. But this year it ain't gonna happen.

Always wanted to hunt that country. Had an antelope tag years ago

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

565 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.