-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just finished this center screw conversion on a Model 70. It came already having been pillar bedded in a McMillan stock. The pillar bedding needed a few minor tweaks but was really pretty well done with the exception of retaining the center screw.

BTW, the areas of attention are commonly seen here with posted pics of 'finished' Model 70 bedding jobs. wink

The gun shot very well (280 AI) with the screw loosened up...but pretty soon the screw would back out. With the screw tightened up, accuracy went South big time.

Indicator zeroed:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With either the front or rear action screws loosened, it showed .027 movement:

Center screw mod done. An short aluminum pillar is inletted into the stock and epoxied in. A flat headed Allen head cap screw goes into the pillar. The face and O.D. of the screw head are reprofiled so it fits in the stock 82 degree screw recess:

Indicator zeroed after the modification:

Loosening either the front or rear action screws now shows .003 movement...about as good as a Model 70 gets.

This is an easy, simple tweak that can really make a difference in a Model 70. All in all, a fun project on neat rifle for a good guy.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wow, Thanks, 'labor saving tips by Nyhus'. Great post.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been doing these 'conversions' on Model 70's & Rem 700's for sometime and for anyone wanting to do their first one, I suggest that they avoid a typical round pillar and opt for something square to avoid the pillar turning at some later - and probably inopportune time. Some epoxies are "more equal" than others so it's best to safe than sorry.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On the round pillars, I've at times used a piece of brass rod through the pillar and epoxied into the stock. Have also used square stock as you have for the pillar. And it's no place for a cheap-o 5 minute epoxy or hot glue. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very impressive.

Thank you for sharing.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting this Al. Have any of the stocks you have modified like this had the lightweight McMillan Edge fill? This would be a good addition to my 2 pre 64 hunting rifles, but their fill seems pretty weak. My 30-06 split through the web between the mag well and trigger opening just like a wood stock can.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mike, those splits happen because of poor bedding and the stress load from the center action screw loading the stock and then flexing during recoil. It's particularly bad when there ends up being more than one recoil absorbing area...which is common on 90% of the bedding jobs that are being done to this day on Model 70's. The area ahead of the tang is a major culprit in stock breakage at the 'web' area you've had cracking problem with.

The work around is either an expertly done full length bedding job that utilizes a center pillar or a two-point bedding approach (my favorite) and eliminating the center screw from threading into the action.

Hope this helps. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Al, good info. That was the one McMillan I have where I took their statement that the stocks did not require bedding at face value and left it as received. It was plenty accurate with my 200 grain partition elk loads. It did not appear to be tight against the tang abutment and the center screw was just slightly snugged up.

Oh well, lesson learned. Fortunately Mcmillan is a short drive away and Lynn there did not seem overly surprised by the split and put a warranty replacement in the queue. She did suggest a heavier fill they had started placing in the front receiver ring area of those stocks which would add about 1.5 ounces. I went that route and did a full action and bottom metal bedding before taking it back for paint. I use layers of 3 mil aluminum tape at the appropriate tang and lug areas and the front and rear screws now reach a quick hard stop when tightened. I think will try your dial indicator setup and proceed from there.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I see I have a couple options to work on with my 1985 fwt.which is now full length bedded but still with so-so accuracy. Many thanks.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (7mm_Loco, 2500HD, BALLISTIK, Anaconda, 808outdoors, 7 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,120
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.