Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a fellow chamber a barrel for me some years ago and he managed to do a hexagonal chamber, it was supposedly something wrong with the reamer which caused chatter, according to him.

The shells would go back in if I turned them to the correct orientation...I got my money back and another fellow did the job properly.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How many rounds did you fire? and were they all like that?
I`d look at the brass it`s self. If the brass is not uniform when made, basicly a bannana, one side thicker that the other, the thin side will swell, making it difficult if not impossible to rechamber with out resizing. My quess is nothing is wrong with the chamber, but is with the brass. You mentioned some cases were "tight" from the get go?
BTB, did you get a fired case from the smith? It should have been test fired, maybe several times. That would give you a clue.

Good Luck

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That is what FL dies are for...

Phil

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
He's trying to understand the situation, not just fix it. And he's already said the gunsmith didn't find anything out of round.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I’d try spinning the fired brass while inserting, see if it slips in. If so, chamber is out of round or brass is uneven. Try several pieces to rule one out. Even though smith said it’s ok.
Also try factory loads again to see if they still chamber, making sure you don’t have another issue.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What's all this talk of out of round [bleep]? New factory ammo was tight going in, after ejection it wouldn't go back in. First thing you should want to do is see if full length resizing the fired brass fixes it. If it doesn't then you know for sure its the chamber and not the brass. Probably a worn reamer used leaving a tight chamber possibly with even a rough finish, there's not 2 out of 10 smiths that fully inspect their work, if this one had it would have been caught before being returned to the customer.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah...FL die.

No mention of the actual ammo brand chambered.

Other brands, loads tested?

Aftermarket barrel or original?

"Going back to the gunsmith..."

Whut??

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by Muffin
SDHNTR, index the brass, that is try and put it back in the same way it came out.....

Had a barrel chambered for a # 1 that caused me grief, when resizing the die would shave brass off the case. Further inspection revealed that the fired brass was noticeably
'bulged' on/to one side, when observed from the base, the case wall protruded out wider than the rim!?!?!? ......... don't know what happened, maybe the reamer 'got away'.......... IDK, I'm not a 'smith'.....

Guy made it right, to the tune of another Lilja barrel.........

Brass would go back in the way it came out, but not if you rotated it 180 degrees.....

It's back at the smith again being worked over. Nothing was noticeably out of round.

It doesn’t have to be “noticeably” out of round to be measurably out of round. If I had to speculate, I’d say the guy who chambered it didn’t have the bore dialed in coaxial with the lathe axis. A pilot is not enough to overcome the stress that causes and you will end up with a measurably (if not noticeably) out of round condition. The nearer to the end (in this case the case web area) the worse it will be. It sounds like sloppy machine work to me.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To the OP...did you ever find the problem??

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have two 300 WSM's, one a full custom, the other a commercial rifle. Neither one produces expansion rings upon firing. They eject smoothly, but the fired brass will not interchange between them. After testing, there is a .004 difference between them and it results in a go, no-go situation.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.