Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Dang, you did really good! What a beautiful rifle!

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ed,

Beautiful rifle, congratulations. I'm to old to be a son, but I'd be happy to be your long lost brother when you are assigning this one in your will.

I don't know what you're going to be looking for in regards to ammo or components, but quite of few of us last year bought Norma 6.5x55 Professional Hunter ammo loaded with 140gr. Nosler Partitions. At $24.95 a box, it almost doesn't make sense to buy components.

It's listed velocity is 2690 fps and out of my Tikka got 2670 fps with .75 inch accuracy. Rivertown Munitions still has a good supply of it. I bought two cases and may by another. Link below for your convenience.

https://rivertownmunitions.com/prod...40-grain-partition-soft-point-20-rd-box/

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Ed,

Beautiful rifle, congratulations. I'm to old to be a son, but I'd be happy to be your long lost brother when you are assigning this one in your will.

I don't know what you're going to be looking for in regards to ammo or components, but quite of few of us last year bought Norma 6.5x55 Professional Hunter ammo loaded with 140gr. Nosler Partitions. At $24.95 a box, it almost doesn't make sense to buy components.

It's listed velocity is 2690 fps and out of my Tikka got 2670 fps with .75 inch accuracy. Rivertown Munitions still has a good supply of it. I bought two cases and may by another. Link below for your convenience.

https://rivertownmunitions.com/prod...40-grain-partition-soft-point-20-rd-box/

I received your PM. Thanks and an order is in.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well, I have to congratulate the campfire. Before I posted the link for EdM last night, I checked the company's inventory to make sure they still had that ammo.

Since last night, ya'll have managed to buy 26 cases of great 6.5x55 ammo.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Almost missed it! Only 5 were available according to the website so that's all I could get.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gorgeous, Ed, just gorgeous.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is a nice pick up Ed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m not a European fan or a fan of full stock rifles but I do appreciate beauty and that is most definitely a beauty Ed.

That will look good in the field or in the rack and I hope you begin creating memories with her soon!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wow! Great grab!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Beautiful. Neat find indeed. Congrats Ed.

Edit to add:

Good campfire thread on Dale Goens:

Dale Goens Rifle - Ask the Gunwriters _ 11-03-2011

Obituary for GOENS

Obituary for GOENS

Published in the Albuquerque Journal on Thursday July 21, 2005
Dale Wesley Goens September 8, 1916-July 18, 2005 In the calm and peace of morning, as the sun's golden rays began to fill the shadows cast from the mountain behind the Cedar Crest home, of Dale Wesley Goens. With his family at his side Dale went home to our Lord and savior Jesus. Dale courageously fought the long-term effects of prostrate cancer.

Dale was the first born son to Elva Leranzo and Eva Massengail Goens. Dale was born in the town of Plainville, in Rooks County, Kansas. Dale's family later moved to the town of Horton in northeastern Kansas. His father worked for the Rock Island Railroad, Dale went to school in Horton. In high school Dale lettered in football and track. Summer months he worked on the Rock Island Line, doing track work. Dale's father bought him a guitar when he was a teenager. Music would become a life long connection for Dale. In the 1930's Dale was playing professionally in a western swing band in Enid, Oklahoma. He and the band played on radio station KCRC in Enid as well as the dance halls in the area.

It was during this time period Dale met the love of his life. On January, 1, 1939 in Tonkaway, Oklahoma Dale married Margaret Miller. Dale and Margaret's first son Jerry was born on June 17, 1940 in Enid, Oklahoma. Dale was still playing music in Enid, the looming prospects of war caused Dale to end his music career. Dale left his family behind in Enid and went to Kansas City to North America Aviation Aeronautical School. After completing school Dale brought Margaret and Jerry to Kansas City. Dale went to work in North American's Kansas City, Kansas plant building B-25 aircraft. On March 5, 1942 Dale and Margaret's second son David was born. At war's end in 1945 the Kansas City plant was closed, Dale and his family moved to Portland, Oregon. The time in Portland was less than a year and the family moved back to Enid.

Dale starting playing music again and was working at a music store teaching guitar and handling instrument sales. It was during this period of time in Enid that Dale build his own arch top guitar. Dale always had a love affair with wood. In Kansas City Dale built model airplane gliders and flew them in competition. His high school days he build various projects that were with him the rest of his life. In spring of 1949 Dale got an offer to work at Sandia Base in Albuquerque. Dale and his wife Margaret and two sons, David and Jerry moved to Albuquerque and later to Cedar Crest in August of 1949. While the actual location of Cedar Crest in the past 56 years has moved up and down North Highway 14, Dale and Margaret have made Cedar Crest their home for all these many years. In 1949, the road that was the route in and out of Cedar Crest was then, North Highway 10. A two lane paved road with little traffic. The peace and tranquility of the East Mountains and Cedar Crest was ideal for raising their two sons. In 1954 Dale and Margaret were blessed with a daughter, Linda Gail.

Dale worked at Sandia Base from spring of 1950 till he took an early retirement in October 1971. With his interest in New Mexico big game hunting and his love of wood, Dale developed a side line business of making custom gunstocks for hunting rifles. Prior to his base retirement his gun business had grown to such a point that he had to either pursue it full time or give up the business. Dale achieved national and international success with his business; Dale continued his gunstock making business until November of 2000. At which time he retired from the gunstock making to enjoy his final years.

Dale never totally give up his interest in music. In the early 1950's Dale and Margaret with two other families started a small community church as a Sunday school in the home of, Harvey and Wilda Fullmer in Tijeras. As the church grew it alter moved to a location on Frost Road, near the village of San Antonito. Dale led the congregational singing and with the guitar he made, played and sang the special music on Sunday mornings. Dale never relinquished his guitar, but playing time was more to his favorite radio station and music CDs. Dale was preceded in passing by both his parents; brother, Loren Thomas Goens; sister, Ruth Ilene Martz and son, David Wesley Goens. Dale is survived by his wife and life long partner of 66 years, Margaret; son, Jerry and wife, Susan Goens; daughter, Linda and husband, Rob Nezzer; daughter-in-law, Donna Goens; sisters, Norma Ruby Goens and Betty Louise Cogdell. Dale was blessed with five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. A Memorial Service will be conducted at Mountainside United Methodist Church in Cedar Crest, July 23, 2005 at 11:00 a.m. The family requests, in lieu of flowers, donations to the American Cancer Society or the Heartland Hospice Services in Albuquerque.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes I found that 'fire link soon after I bought the rifle. I was fortunate enough to meet most of those now deceased in that thread.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very cool.

JK16 - amazing call on the stock maker

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just now seeing this thread Ed, and had to surface to congratulate you on such a great find, and at a real bargain price!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cotis
JK16 - amazing call on the stock maker

Thanks, but I am a victim of a very selective photographic memory. I saw this in Monte Kennedy's book in the mid 1970s and never forgot what that stock looked like.

With the exception of that Al Biesen-esque recurve to the back of the cheekpiece shadow line. The stock Ed snagged is a near dead ring for this one . Me-thinks Mr. Goens got MORE than a few orders from that book. I am sure many folks said "build me a Mannlicher style stock JUST like that one".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Just now seeing this thread Ed, and had to surface to congratulate you on such a great find, and at a real bargain price!

Brad,

It really is a neat rifle chambered in a round I have wanted to own for years and really a fitting combo in rifle style and chambering in my mind. So much so that it is sitting with me in my hotel room in Ogden as we head to north Idaho for the summer just so I can shoot it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
What a beauty !

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Wow. That rifle is gorgeous, I am a fan of Mannlicher stocked rifles. Great snag Ed.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Beautiful rifle and great snag Ed. It is amazing to me that the dealer would make no effort to figure out what he had before offering it for sale. At any rate enjoy..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on your new to you Dale Goens. What a great find.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good Lord! what a beauty!
i was all set to cry if you had found that at a shop up here Ed.
world class action.
world class chambering.
world class wood
world class builder
world class checkering.
combined that is out of this world!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 50 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.