Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Wife retired this past spring and we are planning a trip out west in a few weeks and one of our stops is Northern California to see the Redwoods and Sequoia trees. Problem is according to the inter- net where the Sequoia are located there are roads washed out from last winters snow melt and some portions are closed for the 2023 season. Is there anyone on the 24 Hour campfire that lives out there that would have / know someone that has a couple of sequoia on their ranch that would allow a stranger to come and see them? Thanks. BCM

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I saw the Sequoias back in the 80’s. They are surreal. It’s almost like you are in an animation. It really looks like something from another world. Definitely a worthwhile trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can visit Grant Grove/Wilsonia via the Hwy 180 Kings Canyon Park entrance. Giant Forest/Lodgepole in accessible by the General’s Highway only due to the closure of the Ash Mountain Sequoia Park entrance via Hwy 198 east of Visalia.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are all sorts of opportunities to see them.

Can't see the Avenue of the Giants being washed out.

Just traveling on 101, there are some great spots to stop and see them.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The Avenue is fine, as are most all of the roads in both Humboldt and Del Norte counties.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks fella's, that's what I need to know from someone who's out there. Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks again. BCM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well worth the trip. I didn’t make it down to the sequoias, but did take my family out to see the redwoods a couple years ago. Dropped down into crescent city, stayed at a motel on the beach and wandered around the giant trees. Everything I had imagined and more.

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couple of good options to see these giant trees but they are in very different parts of the state.

Sequoia national park and Kings Canyon in central CA is incredible...like no other.

The south entrance is closed due to construction. However, entering from the North on 180 is easier/faster and you have Kings canyon where you can see the General Grant tree and then the General Sherman deeper into Sequoia park. Lots of bear too....

There is also a fantastic cave in Sequoia that deserves a visit.

There are many many more groves you have access to along the way in the two parks.

As Hig said, the Avenue of the Giants is in northern CA and also very beautiful. The trees there are abundant but not as large as in Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Calaveras Big Trees State Park is just west of San Francisco about 80 miles and open no problem.... Good lodging close by in Murphys, Angels Camp, or Sonora.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So just to be sure you know, the Sequoia redwoods are down south, for the most part. The iconic ones are in Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs. Calaveras is probably the northernmost grove of any size, but there’s a small grove out of Foresthill that is supposed to be the northernmost naturally occurring grove.

Coastal redwoods are the ones that thrive on coastal fog, from Big Sur-ish up into Oregon. It is stupid easy to visit any of those, just a a bit more out of the way to see big ones. The plot of land where I grew up had five well over 100’, 6’ at the base. Ones we planted in 1970 were darn near as tall, but maybe only 3’ at the base.

Both can be utterly massive, with the coastal species getting much taller, and the inland Sequoias getting just huge at the base. It used to be said that the Sequoias were the largest by volume, but som really tall coastals have been found that have them claiming both tallest and largest.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Neighbor has one in his yard that's 6' or so at the base, more than a few similar here in town.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The redwoods are more impressive imo. If you can only do one I'd do the north coast.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Fellas, I can't thank you guys enough. Yeah we know the Redwoods are in the upper north west corner of the state and the Sequoia'a are east of San Francisco, but we really want to avoid the inner city stuff and just concentrate on the trees. We are going to hit the museum in Cody and after that heading out to see the trees. Can you guys think of anything else we need to check out while we're out there? We are both retired now and don't have to be back to work on monday morning so as long as the car and money hold out we are foot loose and fancy free.
Yee- ha. Thanks again for helping us out. BCM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When in Cody, if you stop at the Irma for lunch before hand, I can't recommend the mens bathroom in the basement next to the gun currator highly enough!

5 Stars!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boxcarman
Fellas, I can't thank you guys enough. Yeah we know the Redwoods are in the upper north west corner of the state and the Sequoia'a are east of San Francisco, but we really want to avoid the inner city stuff and just concentrate on the trees. We are going to hit the museum in Cody and after that heading out to see the trees. Can you guys think of anything else we need to check out while we're out there? We are both retired now and don't have to be back to work on monday morning so as long as the car and money hold out we are foot loose and fancy free.
Yee- ha. Thanks again for helping us out. BCM
If you have never seen Yosemite Valley, it is a "must see"! This year, the falls should be spectacular well into summer due to the record snow pack in the Sierras this past winter.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yosemite is overcrowded right now because some of it is still inundated from snow melt. The eastern portal is closed at least until 4th of July with some speculating it may not open this year. If you could get out the eastern portal I would highly recommend the drive through the park, starting at either end. Tuolumne Meadows is just gorgeous.
Best to check the NPS site for park status.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
When in Cody, if you stop at the Irma for lunch before hand, I can't recommend the mens bathroom in the basement next to the gun currator highly enough!

5 Stars!

The Irma and the Buffalo Bill Historical center and the mountains and the tremendous western wildlife and the hard right conservative culture of Wyoming make Cody one of my favorite towns in all of America.

Proud NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Visit Yosemite if you can...it's perfect right now.

You'll be hard pressed to find lodging inside the park unless you opt for the Ahwahnee or get lucky and a room opens up at the Lodge.

It's not crowded at all as of two weeks ago. Rent bikes or just ride the free shuttles.

I've never seen this much water....ever. That's the valley floor with Yosemite falls in the background.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I was also there there in Jan...

There are three entrances... Northwest and Northeast via 120, South, and up the Merced on 140. 140 is open as is the Southern entrance by the Wawona. The others are closed

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Boxcarman
Thanks fella's, that's what I need to know from someone who's out there. Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks again. BCM

Stay in a cabin in Grant Grove.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BCM

If you have the time...and want to see more...may I also suggest visiting Death Valley and Joshua tree.

Yes, they are deserts. Yes they are not the spectacular sequoia trees or beautiful YNP.

But, they are both very unique and lately we are having mild weather so visiting them right now is a real opportunity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.