Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Been studying up and there are a lot more trout in America than I thought. Just recently discovered the Apache and Gila trout. I think it would be awesome to get the grand slam of trout in America. First I would have to discover all of them and then find out where they live in order to go after them. I may make this happen shortly. Heading to PA this week to go after native Brook, Browns and possibly some Rainbows if they ever started breeding in my area.

Growing up, we never ate any stocked trout, just the natives.Stocked trout were always mushy and very little taste. Now, I don't even want to eat the natives because I am not to keen on removing them from their environment but I am going to keep a few because I miss eating them.

-Piss into the wind.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
No but it would definitely be a fun quest. There are wild varieties of browns, Brooks and rainbows in western VA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have caught a bunch of varieties but there are new ones being added regularly as the splitters do their work. I have fished for Native steelhead in the farthest north and west system in the world. And searun cutthroats in the farthest north and west edges of their native range. Arctic char in the Beufort sea...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are a lot of different kinds out there. Are native Brook trout are char. As for stocked if you want good eating gotta get them freshly stocked and by clubs not the fish commission might like them better. We still have some stocked swimming around but gotta find the creeks that aren’t hot and holds them. We got some nice creeks that can support wild browns and rainbows. I wouldn’t mind going for some native lake trout.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
There are a lot of different kinds out there. Are native Brook trout are char. As for stocked if you want good eating gotta get them freshly stocked and by clubs not the fish commission might like them better. We still have some stocked swimming around but gotta find the creeks that aren’t hot and holds them. We got some nice creeks that can support wild browns and rainbows. I wouldn’t mind going for some native lake trout.
Lake trout are one of very few freshwater fish worth eating IMO.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not sure, but have caught Brook, Brown, Rainbow, Golden, Mackinaw, and Cutthroat (bonneville, yellowstone, hybrids, maybe even the greenback), and there are a lot of species and subspecies out there. I think you would have to narrow it down to pure strains. Good luck, lemme know if you get a Lahonton (sp) from Pyramid Lake.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Would like to know if anyone caught a blue trout. Very rare catch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Do you mean the Maine Blueback trout?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

YNP would love to have more people fish for lake trout in Yellowstone Lake. They, along with brook trout, are considered an invasive species in YNP that they would like to remove. I think that their policy is catch and kill, absolutely no catch and release.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Do you mean the Maine Blueback trout?

Blue rainbow trout.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

YNP would love to have more people fish for lake trout in Yellowstone Lake. They, along with brook trout, are considered an invasive species in YNP that they would like to remove. I think that their policy is catch and kill, absolutely no catch and release.

Lake trout and Brook are the natives to some of are waterways. Browns and rainbows are the invasive stocked every year for a put and take fishery.

Think it would be fun just to catch a lake trout as I hear they can get pretty big.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
. Think it would be fun just to catch a lake trout as I hear they can get pretty big.

They can indeed. I've caught them to 25+ pounds in places from Montana to the Northwest Territories, but they can get a lot bigger. The long-time world record was 72 pounds, taken from Great Bear Lake--but a guy in Colorado caught one over 73 recently, though it apparently hasn't been certified yet.

As a side-note, the invasive lake trout in Yellowstone Lake have finally been reduced significantly by gill-netting, which the park's biologists started doing a number of years ago to protect the native Yellowstone cutthroats. There were so many lakers that the netting didn't seem to be making any difference, but the most recent report is that it's finally starting to significantly reduce the number of lakers, by around 2/3.

The same sort of thing happened in Montana's Flathead Lake years ago after lakers were introduced. They nearly eliminated the native westslope cutthroats and bull trout--which were called Dolly Varden for a long time before being split off a while back. They were pretty big too: The state record is over 25 pounds, but unlike lake trout which spawn in lakes, bull trout ran up tributary streams to spawn, so were more vulnerable to fishing. I've caught some in various western Montana streams over the years, and as with all the chars I've caught are very good eating. Have also caught Arctic char in Alaska and the Northwest Territories.

I've caught a lot of different trout and chars over the years, including lakers all across northern North America, including Quebec. Just in Montana have caught lakers, bull trout, brookies, browns, rainbows and our two kinds cutthroats, Yellowstone and westslope. There are even some streams that have reproducing populations of what are called "cutbows," cutthroat/rainbow crosses. Rainbows aren't native to Montana except for the Kootenai River in the far northwestern part of the state, but were introduced in the late 1800s elsewhere. Have caught the sea-going rainbows called steelhead from Oregon to Alaska, and the subspecies of cutthroat called greenback trout when living in Wyoming years ago.

Haven't gotten obsessed enough to try for Gila or Apache trout, but since starting to semi-retire recently, just might....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

Lake trout and Brook are the natives to some of are waterways. Browns and rainbows are the invasive stocked every year for a put and take fishery.

Think it would be fun just to catch a lake trout as I hear they can get pretty big.
Lake trout do get huge compared to the other trout. These were in the 15-17 pound range from lake Ontario
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Are lake- and brook trout technically trout or char?

Genuine question…

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw

Genuine question…
Both are members of the Char family

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
"Anybody Caught All of the Trout in the USA?"

I am not sure..., but I think this would be impossible!! smile

You make a noise..., Mr. Forty-Four makes a noise, and his five little friends run a lot faster than you do!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by efw

Genuine question…
Both are members of the Char family
And rainbow trout are salmon.

But realize "trout" is a very generic word (generic in the sense it is a relatively non-technical word) and most lump char under the trout umbrella.

Had the incredible good fortune to have a 1 on 1 with the now retired AK char biologist some time back. For many hours he showed me his career output, mostly on Dolly Varden and arctic char. He tagged fish in NW AK and in no time they had traveled to Russia.

John mentioned Dolly Varden and bull trout being split some time back. It is true, but the truly interesting part to me is how it was done. The archetypal organism usually gets to keep the original name. Char caught up and down the coast of the PNW were called Dolly Varden (but only fairly recently, just after our Civil War) by all. Not long ago they decided there are two species involved and let the original fish called Dollies change their name to bull trout. The new species kept the old species name. Please excuse the stretch there... pre 1870s they were called something, but not Dollies because Dolly Varden had not had her moment in the limelight, yet.

Then they found a different characteristic, (number of gill rackers) in two fish formerly called Dollies. So Arctic char came into being. They have incredibly different life histories and many are thinking there are at least a couple new species of char up here.

Dollies mostly live in lakes and over-winter in streams while arctic char live in rivers and over-winter in lakes. They also have different numbers of gill rakers. Dollies typically (not always) run to saltwater for a brief while in the spring and return with the salmon. But they do not return to their natal stream until they are ready to spawn. They seem to select the overwintering streams randomly until the spawning urge hits them.

Arctic char tend to stay in their natal streams all their lives, moving between summers in moving water and winters in lakes,

Now come a couple wild anomalies: in some NW AK systems only the dolly females go to salt... almost. at about 5" or so the females all descend to salt and spend enough time to come back big and beautiful and proceed to spawn with dwarf males a tiny fraction of their size. However, a small number of stunted males go with the girls to salt and return as robust, 'roided, redd riders every bit as big as the returning chubby chicks. So when you see the grip and grins with a monster char with a huge kype, realize that fish had to run to salt to keep from getting sand flipped in his face!

Studies on Atlantic salmon have shown a serious percentage of the spawning is done by jacks.

The retired char fellow believes there are more species of Dolly to pare off the current lines.

Anomaly number 2: A very long time ago the taimen (Hucho taimen) was split from the Salmonid line and moved off but remained in the Salmonid Family. Shortly thereafter a different group moved off the salmonid line and into its own family. That would be pike, pickerel, and musky. They maintain the adipose fin and are not really that different from salmonids. Every time a hooked lake trout breaks the surface it looks just like a pike. The color match is amazing. Now they know our serious pike problem here in SC AK is worse than thought. The commercial set netters in Cook Inlet have been catching pike in Cook Inlet. And through testing otoliths can tell if the pike they are looking at came from salt water or was brought there like the first ones that got here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Blueback trout are found in Maine, but only found in a few ponds in the Baxter State Park region in Maine (Mt Katahdin area). Not sure if they are found many other places.
I have not caught one, but know a few guys who have. A one-pounder is a good size blueback

You could catch six trout species in Maine: brookies, browns, rainbow, lake trout/"togue", splake (hybrid), and blueback. No steelhead in Maine that I know of. Six species...would that be a "super duper trout grandslam"?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe for Maine...

Where is your Dolly Varden, Arctic char, cutthroat, bull trout, steelhead.....
wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.