Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just disgusting how low the support has gone for basic equipment for our military. Trudeau can jet all over the world for vacations and useless conferences yet do nothing to support the Canadian military. Gives money away to despot African countries to try a bribe his way onto the security council yet leaves the cupboard bare for the military. Just another day at the office for Special Socks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-soliders-latvia-equipment-helmets-1.6864290

Hugh
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will not defend the Liberals, but Trudeau's group cannot be held responsible for the sad state of Canada's military.

There has been very little money spent on new equipment for many years. There has been little money spent on maintaining existing materiel, which, to my mind, is worse. Money has been promised over the years to upgrade or improve our military, but it is almost always reduced to fund other things.

When I joined in 1977, I trained using equipment that was 1950s and 1960s vintage. When I returned as an instructor to the same school in the early 90s, we were using most of the same stuff I trained on 15 years previously. The only thing that had been upgraded at my old school (CFSAOE) was moving from CF5s and CF104s to a single CF18. It was used to train armourers on explosives loading and a/c equipment maintenance. The trouble was, we could not put ground power on it. Some of the plane's guts were removed to keep other 18s in the air.

The lack of funds has been ongoing since the 1960s. Cutbacks always happen to the military, especially before elections.

Justin Trudeau's daddy was underspending, and he wasn't the first prime minister to do so.

Unification of the CF was one of the lowlights to funding and keeping up with other countries. The article at the link below was written in 2021. I joined in 1977. People were complaining about the shortsighted decision before it officially happened in 1968.

Trudeau was just one in a long line of politicians who made little effort to keep us running. If you want to help, write to your MP and ask to support the CF with cash, not empty promises or hollow words. I am afraid that the patient has pretty much bled out.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/unification-of-the-canadian-armed-forces

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're still a Covtard, so you've got that going for you Redgwell. You're a freaking clown.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should read your signature line .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You're still a Covtard, so you've got that going for you Redgwell. You're a freaking clown.

Just thought this post deserved a like.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here are the Cole's Notes versions of what has been going wrong for over 50 years. There are links to the long report at each of these pages.

https://sencanada.ca/en/sencaplus/n...eight-when-it-comes-to-defence-spending/

https://sencanada.ca/content/sen/committee/421/SECD/reports/ReportHighlightsDPR_e.pdf

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Steve your responses are funny. Yes, the military has been underfunded for a long time. However, bringing up and pointing at history when the current government of 8 years (and longer if you count the years in opposition fighting against procurement of planes and ships) has gone out of its way to shirk responsibility for support, is a classic Liberal deflection technique.

How long ago did special socks tell the veteran you are asking for more than we can give --- yet special socks gives $50M away on a call in to a night talk show. What is the best thing this government has done for support --- allowed make up and earrings. Perhaps dealing with the issue in the present may help the cause.

Your choice in communication continues to deflect and not put pressure on this government.

Hopefully there will be a turn around under a new government that will correct a long-standing problem that has gotten much worse under the Liberal / NDP coalition.

Hugh
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Justin Trudeau’s government has borrowed more money in 8 years than all the previous 23 Prime Minister’s governments combined, since 1867. The next government of Canada will never be able to rebuild our military as all resources will be required to service that debt. I am afraid we haven’t seen the worse from the Justin Trudeau years.

Nick

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is no deflection, Hugh. Your efforts to pile the hate on the present government ignores the fact that this problem started before Justin was born. As a former military member, I can tell you first hand about the neglect.

As I said in another post, Justin is just the latest in a long line of politicians who did little or nothing.

As someone who lived through almost all of this, and wore a uniform, I can see that you are unaware of the over 50 years of neglect. I suggested that you write your MP. You should also learn the history.

Frankly, I don’t find that the slightest bit funny.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Nick1899
Justin Trudeau’s government has borrowed more money in 8 years than all the previous 23 Prime Minister’s governments combined, since 1867. The next government of Canada will never be able to rebuild our military as all resources will be required to service that debt. I am afraid we haven’t seen the worse from the Justin Trudeau years.

Nick

DND is not the only ministry that is suffering. Your post raises a different set of questions. How does the government recover from the spending?

When a department like DND is so far behind the 8 ball, recovery will take a while. We will have to re-examine our military’s role in the world and adjust. There was talk of more helicopters and an operational change. I haven’t heard much about this since I retired.

Wiser heads than ours will determine the way forward. I hope Poliviere can come up with something.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Should Pollievre form the next government, he will be hamstrung by the Trudeau government ‘s massive debt. Like Premiere Ford inheriting Wynn’s debt in Ontario. The Liberals stated that the debt in Ontario was $7 billion when in fact it was $17 billion. Wynn’s response to the criticism was to say that she wasn’t an accountant.

I see massive spending cuts from the Pollievre government and great dissatisfaction from the public accustomed to the Liberal free spending style of governance. I don’t think Pollievre will be able to perform any miracles once in office. Isn’t this the normal Liberal/Conservative cycle in Canadian politics?

Nick

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes. I would add that Poilievre will form the next government because electors will want Trudeau gone. With no other options in federal politics, the Conservatives will get the job.

In short, voters will fire Trudeau.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The Muslim flag will fly over Canada in, at most, two generations.Birth rate and open borders to commonwealth. Who rules today is immaterial.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am no economist, but I can manage my own finances.
When you give to Ukraine, Covid initiatives, and a myriad of special interest groups, is there any money left?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless all those 20 somethings start having kids at a rate of 4 per family, we need immigration to have economic growth. We need people buying houses, appliances and furniture. Old pharts like me don't even buy new rifles. To quote a popular Canadian commercial, "it's simple economics". Between economic growth and inflation, debt becomes less of an issue.

This is even more harsh, But government spending on infrastructure like sewers and roads has a 10x multiplier effect, where as military spending, even sourcing in country, has only a 4x multiplier effect. Since we don't have conscription, we rely on professional solders, labour costs in the military are high .

Welcome to the choices governments of any stripe have to make.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Unless all those 20 somethings start having kids at a rate of 4 per family, we need immigration to have economic growth. We need people buying houses, appliances and furniture. Old pharts like me don't even buy new rifles. To quote a popular Canadian commercial, "it's simple economics". Between economic growth and inflation, debt becomes less of an issue.

This is even more harsh, But government spending on infrastructure like sewers and roads has a 10x multiplier effect, where as military spending, even sourcing in country, has only a 4x multiplier effect. Since we don't have conscription, we rely on professional solders, labour costs in the military are high .

Welcome to the choices governments of any stripe have to make.
Do you think someone is going to invest in new housing for all these immigrants with todays interest rate hikes? The only one stupid enough is the government of Canada.

These immigrants will further erode our already stressed healthcare, schools, transportation, justice systems. Canada's top 25 most wanted are all immigrants.

We are going into a recession with massive immigration, smart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who served your Tim Hortons coffee ?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Who served your Tim Hortons coffee ?
That is the level of intellect to be expected from you,.... as an aside, I don't support Tim Horton's.

It is abit more complicated than who is going to serve me in a restaurant, but that is what they tell you to believe, most restaurants are broke or going broke, except for the ones that were allowed to remain open during Covid, weird eh?

I don't see the desire to remain willfully ignorant of what is otherwise glaring to others.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... the Corrupt Commie Coalition has promised UBI (Universal Basic Income) no doubt with Chinese financing ... a life with your feet up in front of the TV smoking legal dope until your eyes look like road maps and most importantly NO JOB REQUIRED ... that'll buy elections into the next century

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This is the most corrupt stupid government in our history.

To a previous poster I really am not interested in fighting battles than cannot be won based on 50 years of history that is continually ignored by governments. Nor am I the least bit interested in writing to my NDP - MP in a generational NDP riding. I have written letters to Ministers of Defence and the only one that ever replied was conservative and changes were made at the base affected through the letter writing campaign. How do I know ---- well the base commander read my letter out at a briefing. People should not be so self important that they like others have no exposure to the military --- being in is one part of it --- being a civilian contractor to the military for many years and seeing crap is another part.

I fight battles present day and here is one that as Nick1989 says will impact Canadians for generatons to come. We are now paying more for interest on debit servicing than the Feds transfer to the provinces for health care.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/trudeaus-words-on-low-interest-rates-come-back-to-bite-him

Hugh
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.