-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you need one, then by all means, mount one. I chose my lever rifles because I love how they pack and I love the challenge of open sights.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have rifles set up both ways, but at 47 my 'iron' sights are peeps. One with a globe front. Caint quite do the original sight thing very well anymore.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At my age (almost 50) my eyes demand a scope. I do put smaller scopes on my lever actions compared to my bolt action rifles. I have a 6x fixed on my 30-30 and a 4x fixed for my 45-70. But I have not been able to allow myself to put a scope on my 39A. I don't hunt with the 39A so it's not as critical for a casual target gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Klik,
At 55 my eyes aren't what the used to be, but with the invention of fiber optics combined with a peep sight I do OK. When I can't see these, I'll prolly quit hunting.
Virgil B.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You might ... want to take a look at the: A O Sight Systems, Lever Scope mount & The Leupold M8 (2 1/2) Scout Scope combo.

This stuff's specifically designed for Marlin & Winchester lever-guns.

When used with a set of Weaver 'low rings', the result is very compact; the Leupold intermediate eye-relief scope is only 10" in length and adds very little weight to the rifle- and does not adversly affect the handling or the looks of your fine lever action rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call it denial, if you will (although sitting in front of the puter with strong reading glasses is simply my reality - no denying that), but I think there are many good choices to be had in sights other than factory opens before one needs to concede the "need" for a scope on a lever. At 50, I certainly know what the loss of my youthful vision means. However, I have found, since I yet have good distance vision, that a rear peep has extended my ability to use "opens." I also know that the use of a second aperture on the front - a globe sight- can allow very functional use of iron sights for target work.

Handgun sights are another story. However, I have learned from them, even though my eyes and brain tell me that they are quite fuzzy, that, with practice, I can still use them in a functional and productive manner. I just need to practice more. Imagine that. I get - make that "need" - to do again, what I did as a youngster; get out and shoot more. It is less of an option than it was when my vision was better. And who said getting older has no benefits?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
These old eyes use all the advantages I can get.

[Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess my feeling on the M94s is that when they are the multi-purpose "lawn and woods" versions, the ones set up both for hunting and golfing - they have the tee-off divot in the receiver wink laugh - then do whatever you do with them. I have intentionally avoided those for personal reasons - not just because I don't golf laugh .

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This of course is the "heresy" option...

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just another old guy with Presbyopia here. I have scopes on all my lever guns. I am sold on the El Paso Weaver V4.5 20mm variable scope, and I love the old Denver Redfield 5 Star 20mm low power variables.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have weaver 2 peice grand slam bases and Leupold quick release scope rings on all of my 336's. Open iron sights, then return to zero scope (1.5x5 Leupy) mounts. Best of both worlds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that leverguns look and handle better without a scope. But as I get older I find that I can't be accurate enough with open sights. (I can stay on an 8 inch shoot-n-see at 100 yds, really in about 6", but that's about it.) Aperture sights are a good compromise, as has been suggested. But, I still can shoot much more precisely with even a low-power scope.

I think a smaller scope in the 2-4x range with a 20 mm objective looks and handles best. A compact of some kind might also be a contender. But, you may find that you would like a bit more magnification. In that case you just have to live with the mismatched looks and be happy with better performance.

Good shooting!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by marlinlover
I have weaver 2 peice grand slam bases and Leupold quick release scope rings on all of my 336's. Open iron sights, then return to zero scope (1.5x5 Leupy) mounts. Best of both worlds.

Now that's an idea! I hadn't really considered the quick-release rings due to accuracy issues, but being as we're talking lever actions and not long range F-class rigs I don't see why they won't work just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I scope my lever I opt for the small compact scopes (Leupy 1-4x20, 1.5-5x20, 2-7x28, 2.5 etc) mounted as low as possible. They do not ruin the handling qualities of the levergun and are much better than open sights for aging eyes. I like a Williams FP peer with hi vis front sight as well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 51 I can still use a peep sight with success. I just hate the aesthetics of a scope on a levergun, other than a BLR or Savage. I have bolt guns with scopes when I feel the need to really reach out there.

That said, use what you want and need to!!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
At 51 I can still use a peep sight with success. I just hate the aesthetics of a scope on a levergun, other than a BLR or Savage. I have bolt guns with scopes when I feel the need to really reach out there.

That said, use what you want and need to!!!

I agree with McCann, well said.

Yes, scopes on lever guns is a heresy!!

Oh yes, I have 5 or 6 heresys in the safe.

Bushnell Scopechief 1.5-4.5 on a Mossberg 472. It is my rifle. I didn't buy it for it's looks. I didn't buy it to hang it on the wall. I bought it to shoot deer.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
New Leupold FX 2.5 on a Marlin 1894S .44 Mag. I think it looks like it belongs there.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I find nothing wrong with scopes on levers. Makes all of them much better 150 yd rifles.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Scopes are anathema on a levergun, especially if handy carry, balance, and clean lines are important to you. If you hunt in the thick stuff at reasonable ranges the iron sights are fine. Go with a ghost ring rear sight instead. If ranges and eyes beg for a scope, the Leupie FX 2.5 looks more in place than all the others and answers the mail for more precise shot placement and 50+ year old eyes. Mannlicher's setup is a nice one.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.