24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
I was wondering, isn't the reason the interest rate went up is too slow things down?
How is a massive building boom slowing things down?
Won't that just increase the cost of building materials and labour?
How much gets built if we go into a recession?
Are we going to need Bongo and Ghanji if we go into a recession?

I think there will be a massive number of homes available when peoples mortgages come up for renewal, especially if they start losing their jobs.

I think the Turds handlers decided this is the only way Turd can win the next election, housing crisis, and here are our promises, which they wont/can't keep. This is how and why political footballs continue for years and new ones arise, to keep our attention on the bouncing ball.

BP-B2

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,137
H
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,137
I live in a city with a very left leaning council. The cry for housing for the homeless from the council has been going on for a number of years. This same council has taken on major initiatives -- $100M for bike lanes, $25M to try and attract a world cup soccer game or two, defund the police was strong with the council until crime got so high there was push back. They talk but lack focus. Housing for homeless is only part of what needs to be discussed on this side. Building apartment blocks for homeless / low income has increased problems in the areas that they have been placed. So the NIMBY movement is strong based on experiences in other areas.

On affordable housing for starter homes and middleclass the push by this administration has been for lot splitting and construction of skinny homes. Essentially the benefit is back to the city with an increased tax base. We live in a 50 year old area -- average home selling is between $400K and $500K --- a lot split produces two homes selling for between $700K and a $1M plus. There are lots of reasons for the high cost on the homes -- finishing details, high material costs due to increased taxes, increased permit fees, transfer of upgrades required to utilities for the area to the developer. Now stop the skinny's you say --- well our clowncil has decided that there will be no new development of land or sub divisions until such time as the existing neighbourhoods are made over. The surrounding communities must have embraced this decree with open arms --- as there is a future huge shift in tax base coming their way.

On the new build front the cost of materials is sky high then there are the morgage rates --- gone up and going higher. All thanks to the NDP / Liberal team. I am not sure what the salary level would have to be for a new build starter home for mortage qualification.

On affordable starter homes there are lots of older areas that have homes in the $300K range that would be fixer uppers and then take the next step up. This does not seem to be that way most younger people want to go. As this option is there and affordable for those that want to work their way up I tend to shrug and provide no comment.



Hugh
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 3
B
New Member
Offline
New Member
B
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 3
First of all, the reference to Bongo and Ghanji should stop. I am a white male and know many immigrant, well educated and hard working people who do not look like me. Sure they are easy to see when things go wrong. We complain when they take over an industry (such as trucking in Southern ON, but not different thatn the Dutch in farming or Italians in construction) because they are taking our jobs but then complain when they end up as gang members (competition for hells angels and the mafia). Unless you are a "native" (and we are still not sure if they boated or walked across a land or ice bridge) someone in your past was an immigrant. It is also funny how all the "useless" tent dweller, drug addict, cardboard sign standing on the corner people, seem to be white.

Having said that, the topic of housing is not simple.
Immigrants are usually brought in to do the low paying jobs the more privileged did not want to do. The problem is Trudeau spends so much creating a nanny state we need them to pay our pensions. Of course too many will also cause a higher demand for housing, hence higher prices.

The affordable housing flag has been raised and the question is, what is affordable housing anyway. As one writer stated the first house they rented cost 1 days pay. He then chose what he could afford. The higher interest rates are not making houses affordable, they are just changing the distribution of cost (cost of house plus mortgage interest). If you were unaware of historic interest rate fluctuations and got caught with your pants down so to speak you will loose your house, so sell it cheaper before the bank takes it.
Japan is a good example of supply and demand. For a number of years mortgages were multi generational (50 years or more) the cost became so high they could not afford children. The population declined and now house prices have dropped (no one to buy) and they are stuck the other way with houses not worth what they paid.
My attitude has always been if I can't afford it then it needs to go. However this is the generation of bailouts and a gov't that feels the people are so inept that they must solve every problem for them. They seem to want a bunch of dependent whiners that they can hold trinkets up and say, don't you want the shiny toy... just vote for us, and it will all be OK because we know best. Then the taxes go up again or the deferred payment to higher debt and the need for more immigrants. And around we go.

Somebody mentioned the Green belt and taking land out of it. This has been done before and also added to. The first iteration was to stop unfettered poorly planned sprawl. Everybody is getting up in arms about some land being taken out but no focus on the fact that it is also breathing by having other land added.
Give some more thought to your position on Fords plan 1ONTARIOJIM put your media filter on and look at things again. The green belt has just made development jump the belt to Brantford, Guelph, Caledonia, Waterloo etc. and made a traffic nightmare as people now have to travel further and burn more fuel (nobody talks about all the fossil fuel now wasted) sitting on a 400 series highway going 30kph. The problem is nobody seems to have used the last 20 plus years to start planning properly and here we are again. Ford is telling communities to get off their butt and come up with a plan of how they are going to produce x amount of housing. I will admit that Ford's roll out did not have any political finesse.

I am not totally convinced the new Pierre is the best, but many of the common sense ideas are streets ahead of Mr. (budgets will balance themselves)Justin.

Give it some thought.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
Hey commie,, who is going to pay for it?

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
After the shell game and fancy talk we are going to pay for new housing under the guise of..."we need it".

Of course there are good people everywhere, but should we paint them all with the same brush? they are not all bad, but they are also....not all good. Bongo is a business man, soon as he discovers there is an easier way to make a living he will quit carrying lumber, there is an easier way.

The fruit industry always relied on transient workers from Quebec, remote native communities etc...then the Sikh's bought almost 100% of the Orchards, nobody wanted to work for them because they screwed the workers, treated them like shyte, then cried we can't find workers.
It was, and still is bullshyte (they love the foreign workers program) imagine that. All they had to do was pay the workers and provide suitable accommadation and they couldn't do what was done for almost 100 years.

In speaking with a builder recently, he is also concerned with the potential for materials and labour to go through the roof once more, destroying any chance for home building unless of a government intervention

Ask your MP for details, they are back to work today, if you get a response post them up, I and others are waiting to find out who is going to pay for any of it.

IC B2

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
I wonder if anyone has considered the timber supply we have in Canada?...not sure what the stats are on which Province supplies the most timber to make building materials, but think BC by far leads the way. The timber supply is poor, we have also just lost millions of hectares of valued timber, as well we have lost hundreds, more likely thousands of structures this summer alone, driving cost for materials higher,,,that may be lost on someone not from BC, but shouldn't be,,,, for the retards...... it is supply and demand.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,548
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,548
Originally Posted by BowRiverFlyGuy
Seems like the solution to the housing crisis and lack of family doctors could easily be resolved by importing 1 million immigrants per year.

How is 1,000,000 immigrants per year going to help our housing crisis? I say shut the doors and sort out what we have here already.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by BowRiverFlyGuy
Seems like the solution to the housing crisis and lack of family doctors could easily be resolved by importing 1 million immigrants per year.

How is 1,000,000 immigrants per year going to help our housing crisis? I say shut the doors and sort out what we have here already.
I think he was being factitious, because only a politico would believe such a thing.

What Canada has done is.....rob poor countries of their proffesionals, such as Nurses, Doctors etc....although smart, it is immoral to enrich our country at the expense of a less fortunate country, leaving them even poorer for it.

Besides that, only a complete idiot wouldn't understand that (in BC) we still have a vaccine mandate for our healthcare workers, so the 2,000 nurses and unknown number of doctors have been fired. Trouble is that now if they dropped the mandates, they aren't coming back anyways because they are working in other Provinces or simply have retired.

We are being led down the garden path if we believe it is only 1,000,000 people, it is many more than that, double that.

Last edited by 673; 09/18/23.
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 3
B
New Member
Offline
New Member
B
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by 673
Hey commie,, who is going to pay for it?

I am not sure if the comment is directed at me as I fail to see any commie doctrine unless you mean
Don't be a bigot
Spend within your means
and get the politicians to do some smart planning regarding land use.

Which is it?

To your earlier point. Yes the gov't controls interest rates. They are going up to stop house flipping and people paying 200k or more over asking because they can't afford it anymore. It is also to stop Canadians from going further into debt by paying for other stuff like cars and vacations etc. that they can no longer afford (because they are paying more interest). The slowing of the economy (using interest rates) is designed to stop the recent inflation but it is probably too late. We see this in recent labor settlements which are increasing costs in a different way. The term used way back was the wage, price, spiral. However the swiftness with which this has happened will likely swing the pendulum the other way and we are probably headed for the big R. If you were alive and aware of what was going on in the early nineties and lived with 15-20 % interest (at the bank not CC), the only question that you have been asking yourself, is, why has this taken this long to happen again. In reality interest rates should have gone up a bit about 2 years ago and we would have seen a moderating effect on demand which would have kept the prices on a lot of stuff lower as well.

However all this still will not create affordable houses for those that lose their jobs. If the #s are to be believed there are just not enough houses to go around. So stop allowing as many immigrants in, which may solve some of the issue in the short term a bit. But we still have the problem of not enough younger people working to keep the pension system topped up. If we could get those not working, working, they could pay for their own house instead having the govt pressured to magically make houses appear. We know sometimes the govt has problems getting a road paved properly, how can we expect them to come up with a million or more homes?

Basically Trudeau has mismanaged at catastrophic levels.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
Originally Posted by biker1ron
Originally Posted by 673
Hey commie,, who is going to pay for it?

I am not sure if the comment is directed at me as I fail to see any commie doctrine unless you mean
Don't be a bigot
Spend within your means
and get the politicians to do some smart planning regarding land use.

Which is it?

To your earlier point. Yes the gov't controls interest rates. They are going up to stop house flipping and people paying 200k or more over asking because they can't afford it anymore. It is also to stop Canadians from going further into debt by paying for other stuff like cars and vacations etc. that they can no longer afford (because they are paying more interest). The slowing of the economy (using interest rates) is designed to stop the recent inflation but it is probably too late. We see this in recent labor settlements which are increasing costs in a different way. The term used way back was the wage, price, spiral. However the swiftness with which this has happened will likely swing the pendulum the other way and we are probably headed for the big R. If you were alive and aware of what was going on in the early nineties and lived with 15-20 % interest (at the bank not CC), the only question that you have been asking yourself, is, why has this taken this long to happen again. In reality interest rates should have gone up a bit about 2 years ago and we would have seen a moderating effect on demand which would have kept the prices on a lot of stuff lower as well.

However all this still will not create affordable houses for those that lose their jobs. If the #s are to be believed there are just not enough houses to go around. So stop allowing as many immigrants in, which may solve some of the issue in the short term a bit. But we still have the problem of not enough younger people working to keep the pension system topped up. If we could get those not working, working, they could pay for their own house instead having the govt pressured to magically make houses appear. We know sometimes the govt has problems getting a road paved properly, how can we expect them to come up with a million or more homes?

Basically Trudeau has mismanaged at catastrophic levels.
They aren't going too build FA, if you read from the beginning you would of understood its an election platform in preparation for the next election, a crisis created, then picked up by the opposition....that isn't needed, like the millions of new immigrants, its not needed.

You never addressed the homeless Veterans or the Native communities without housing or potable water.
Stop the blithering, we already know that one lol.

IC B3

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,548
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,548
Originally Posted by 673
[quote=SuperCub]What Canada has done is.....rob poor countries of their proffesionals, such as Nurses, Doctors etc....although smart, it is immoral to enrich our country at the expense of a less fortunate country, leaving them even poorer for it.

Besides that, only a complete idiot wouldn't understand that (in BC) we still have a vaccine mandate for our healthcare workers, so the 2,000 nurses and unknown number of doctors have been fired. Trouble is that now if they dropped the mandates, they aren't coming back anyways because they are working in other Provinces or simply have retired.

We are being led down the garden path if we believe it is only 1,000,000 people, it is many more than that, double that.

The brain drain is a low life move .... https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/philippines-nurses-canada-1.6952067

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
The Nurses of the Philipines I have had interaction with have been incredible, as have the other Nurses they have integrated into our healthcare, but we stole them, why lie?

Healthcare is a political football similar to the firearms issue, and they will never go away as long as they are platforms to distract and move the goal posts as needed.

Essentially what we have done by massive immigration under the guise of "labour" is doomed Native Canada to several more generations of hopelessness and despair. In many Native communities there is a vibrant yet idle youth sitting in a shytehole living on handouts provided by a system that is a Marxist one at best.

They will not survive under the current system, it is immoral to expect them to flourish or even survive under the conditions they are sustaining themselves.
The main reason my family and others survived and flourished was/is leaving traditional shyte holes and leaving that life behind allowing our children to have opportunities they simply do not have.

Canada has done next to FA to address this issue, this is the fault of Native leadership for allowing themselves to be used as do nothing figureheads.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11,527
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11,527
673;
Good morning to you my friend, I hope it's raining up there?

We're supposed to get rain today, but it's not so far. The Park Rill fire west of us blew up again yesterday but is still within the boundaries and then we heard they were ready to evacuate much of Peachland last night too.

Thanks for sharing your FN take with us, as we've discussed I had family living in a few different FN communities during the 70's and 80's but after that they moved south and my connections remain 4 decades in the past.

When I looked up the current population of Black Lake, SK I see it's about tripled from where it was in the early 70's and as you've noted with trapping and the uranium mining shut down, there's not much for the young folks to do if they want to stay up there and make a living.

As you know too, through family we're familiar with a fair few bands and by extension band councils as they change all over BC, so as you've said, the leadership is so critical. When it's not up to what's needed, it really shows and we've seen first hand how the system is abused for financial gain of the very few.

Lastly I've had similar interactions with nursing staff from the Philippines as you, it's all been positive. Honestly I can't say I've had any negative interactions with anyone from there and I've had a good double handful over the years.

I heard on the radio the other day - CBC so take it for what it might be - that the Philippines are short 300,000 nurses at present, but they were clear that they all hadn't come here.

Some of this mess is reparable I still think but it's going to require the will of the people and leadership to do that. A key component to the foundation of that repair is necessarily a media or communications media that can be trusted to speak the truth however and as the immortal bard said, "there's the rub".

We'll see.

All the best to you all this week, here's hoping we get at least a little bit of rain and good hunting.

Dwayne


The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,808
G
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,808
Originally Posted by biker1ron
Originally Posted by 673
Hey commie,, who is going to pay for it?

I am not sure if the comment is directed at me as I fail to see any commie doctrine unless you mean
Don't be a bigot
Spend within your means
and get the politicians to do some smart planning regarding land use.

Which is it?

To your earlier point. Yes the gov't controls interest rates. They are going up to stop house flipping and people paying 200k or more over asking because they can't afford it anymore. It is also to stop Canadians from going further into debt by paying for other stuff like cars and vacations etc. that they can no longer afford (because they are paying more interest). The slowing of the economy (using interest rates) is designed to stop the recent inflation but it is probably too late. We see this in recent labor settlements which are increasing costs in a different way. The term used way back was the wage, price, spiral. However the swiftness with which this has happened will likely swing the pendulum the other way and we are probably headed for the big R. If you were alive and aware of what was going on in the early nineties and lived with 15-20 % interest (at the bank not CC), the only question that you have been asking yourself, is, why has this taken this long to happen again. In reality interest rates should have gone up a bit about 2 years ago and we would have seen a moderating effect on demand which would have kept the prices on a lot of stuff lower as well.

However all this still will not create affordable houses for those that lose their jobs. If the #s are to be believed there are just not enough houses to go around. So stop allowing as many immigrants in, which may solve some of the issue in the short term a bit. But we still have the problem of not enough younger people working to keep the pension system topped up. If we could get those not working, working, they could pay for their own house instead having the govt pressured to magically make houses appear. We know sometimes the govt has problems getting a road paved properly, how can we expect them to come up with a million or more homes?

Basically Trudeau has mismanaged at catastrophic levels.

I agree with your last sentence, and with most of the rest, with some corrections.
The high interest rates occurred, not in the '90's, but in the decade previous to that. High interest is, in itself, inflationary; it increases the cost of doing business for all those who operate on a line of credit. High interest rates also have the effect of taking money out of the economy when those with money, rather than putting it to work, invest in safe term deposits. In addition, the government borrows at their own high rate.
Immigration , and boosting the population as a means of economic growth, is a failing practice. It is the easy way to increase production and consumption, but only if you ignore the attendant costs; both social and economic. GD

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
Chatbot lol

673 #18787582 Yesterday at 08:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,282
What has happened to Biker1ronda?
I heard the indians are getting riled up about housing and coddling of people who have just arrived here and they are wondering where their potable drinking water/housing/jobs/ and future is?

I got this from the indians.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
CTV23

Who's Online Now
796 members (1911a1, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 5,610 guests, and 1,478 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod


 







Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.084s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8907 MB (Peak: 1.0547 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2023-09-27 01:22:57 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS