Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a 5D & 24-70mm 2.8f lens photo..
[Linked Image]
Here is 20D & 50mm 1.4f lens.
[Linked Image]

randy..
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are nice shots! I love all the eyes in all of them! (especially the last)
M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, The eyes is where the color is and keeping them in focus can make the photo a little better.. :GRIN:
Randy...

randy..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Stetson
One major difference between the Rebel and the xxD series is the buffers. The speed with which you can take multiple pictures with the 20D is mindboggling. The Rebel, fairly slow.

In the context of the conversation for a new DSLR user that seems a fairly moot point. While the 40D has a faster burst rate than the XTi it is also a lot faster than a 30d. Technology is evolving at a staggering pace. Burst rate really says very little about over all IQ which is far more likely to be the main focus for most. I'd be a lot more interested in continuous shooting rates Vs burst rates as this is going to have a far greater impact if action, bird in flight or sports photography are your primary interest.
For any one starting out cost is likely a big issue and IMO glass is far more relevant than up-graded bodies. The amount of residual expense in this hobby is staggering. Software, tri-pods, BH, Bags, cleaning suplies, cards, etc.
I can not think of a time I have ever lost an image on the XTi due to burst rate or even continuous shooting rate for that matter and 99% of the time I shoot Jpeg and RAW. The sheer number of people using poor quality cards probably has more real world effect on this than actual body performance.
There are, at least for me, several upgrades that make the 40D a worthy addition but honestly burst rate as well as some of the other marketing stuff such as live view and partial weather sealing are pretty low on my list.
The major improvements I see;
The viewfinder depending on the size of your wallet could be worth the price of admission alone. Improved AF X point sensors at f5.6 or faster plus improved center sensor with f2.8 or faster glass and multiple exposure MLU.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The diffence to me is the viewfinder and body size. Dont like a small body on a big heaveyweight lens like a 70-200mm 2.8..Not a good balance... If u shoot for hours at a time small frame camera bodies arnt a good choice even if u have small hands...

randy..
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The traditional 2 lens battery is a 28 - 80 and a 70 - 210. I like to get aperatures down to 2.8, but you'll pay twice what you will for a 5.6 worth it though. I have about 25 years experience shooting sports, weddings, advertising, and the weirder assignments known to man. Those two lenses and a good Metz flash will get most things done. Everyone's going digital now and I don't know the way things are going what's good now, but traditional 35 mm and medium format, I can help.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd recommend 2

35-170 class for close work

100-400 class for distance work.

Spot

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some really great images posted in this thread so far.

This might not be what you're looking for, but here's a few pics taken with Canon's top of the line of equipment. Please keep in mind that most of these were just quickly processed for web viewing, and might need some slight color adjustment. I usually only do this prior to printing.

All of these images are from here in Wyoming, 2007.

If you have any specific questions regarding nature/wildlife photography gear or techniques, please ask and I think I can give you some insight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_IMG_5912.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_IMG_5682.jpg[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are some awesome photos!!! Thanks for sharing. Nice sharpness!
M

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
#5 is unreal, and that's saying something considering the sharpness on #1 and the size of that bull elk.

Can I hang around you for six months?

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok VTi, I gotta do it.

Consider me a beginner with good equipment (20D, 16-35L (2006 model), 24-105L, and 100-400L).

Give me a primer on wildlife photography. I would ask you in PM, but I figure LOTs of folks want to know how to take pictures like what you posted.

I understand that, depending on how in-depth we get, that's asking a lot, so please, if you would, how about a basic primer for the newbie.

If you started a new thread, I think it would be a home run. In any case, I know I would be quite interested.

Did I mention, NICE pics?

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can vouch for his cougar-spotting ability! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VTi, Great shots. I personally like #4. Is #5 an HDR image?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VTi-

AWESOME shots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give me a primer on wildlife photography. I would ask you in PM, but I figure LOTs of folks want to know how to take pictures like what you posted.

I second that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can spot the hell out of cougars, too. Even where there ain't so many. wink 'Course, it's easier when they run in packs. grin

rb

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
OMG! I don't think I've seen photos so vivid and sharp before. Unbelievable. And great opportunities on wildlife to boot.

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hello everyone smile ... and thanks so much for all the kind words regarding my photos.

I apologize for not posting anything sooner, but I was on a small, 3-day photography trip and just returned this evening. Here's a few images from today and yesterday. Sorry I've only had a chance to download a few sheep images, but got quite a few moose, elk, and coyote images as well as few bald and golden eagles.

More to follow regarding some of the questions posed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Stetson
VTi, Great shots. I personally like #4. Is #5 an HDR image?

You are correct in your observation. That landscape is an HDR comprised of 8 individual images.

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickBin
#5 is unreal, and that's saying something considering the sharpness on #1 and the size of that bull elk.

Can I hang around you for six months?

rb

Rick -- You bet brother smile Just let me know when you'll be in my neck of the woods (Wyoming), and we'll fill some compact flash cards. That day I shot those elk images, I filled 16 Gig of memory smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.