Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
spent the last few days drilling triticale .. now on to wheat then the expensive part fertilizer... not grilling any ride this year for early pasture cuz wheat is so much cheaper around here.. triticale certainly not cheap but bought it in 2000 lb bags. save some money that way..
I really don't think my cows appreciate me..

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I spent the past couple of days no tilling a mixture of wheat and fescue in my pastures. I like giving the cows something green to graze on after the wheat comes up, and the cost of the seed is pretty cheap this year. I've still got some more I want to plant, but the corn hasn't been shelled in those fields, because it had to be replanted and is still high in moisture. Hopefully, I can get that done in the next couple of weeks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
spent the last few days drilling triticale .. now on to wheat then the expensive part fertilizer... not grilling any ride this year for early pasture cuz wheat is so much cheaper around here.. triticale certainly not cheap but bought it in 2000 lb bags. save some money that way..
I really don't think my cows appreciate me..

Cows rarely do... laugh

As soon as I get a more favorable long range rain forecast, I'm going to fertilize pastures, and overseed with rye, for some hopefully decent winter grazing.

I'll get a cart of fertilizer and have them mix the rye as they load the cart, that way it broadcasts as I spread. Then I'll followup with my ridged harrow to give the seed a bit of cover.

Put out 275 pounds per acre of fertilizer right before a rain awhile back with one of those carts. It worked well! Hopefully, I'll get another cutting off of that Tifton85 field. smile Could use some rain now to help it.

Fertilizer cart I get from the Co-Op.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Two kinds of cows, hungry cows, and dead cows.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I spent the past couple of days no tilling a mixture of wheat and fescue in my pastures. I like giving the cows something green to graze on after the wheat comes up, and the cost of the seed is pretty cheap this year. I've still got some more I want to plant, but the corn hasn't been shelled in those fields, because it had to be replanted and is still high in moisture. Hopefully, I can get that done in the next couple of weeks.
around here this year seed wise wheat is cheaper rye is higher triticale about steady..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No clover/legumes? Or do you frost seed those later?

Around here planting clover and cutting back on numbers is almost universal advice. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the big middle of fertilizing and overseeding with rye, and in some areas rye mixed with oats.

Good chance of rain in the next few days that should last most of a week.

Hopefully, I'll finish tomorrow with the broadcasting, then drag it with a harrow for some cover the next day.

Done several hundred acres in the last week. Be glad to be done and see what the rains bring.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by pointer

Around here planting clover and cutting back on numbers is almost universal advice. wink
we were drilling something in the pastures it's just to make feed earlier

bare ground grilling triticale , wheat or rye and do not care if there's anything else established because that will get turned over later to grow sedan / sorghum hybrid for silage bales

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
In the big middle of fertilizing and overseeding with rye, and in some areas rye mixed with oats.

Good chance of rain in the next few days that should last most of a week.

Hopefully, I'll finish tomorrow with the broadcasting, then drag it with a harrow for some cover the next day.

Done several hundred acres in the last week. Be glad to be done and see what the rains bring.
everything I drilled is either barely emerged to about 4 in tall depending on what day I got it in. spread fertilizer today tomorrow and probably Saturday expecting rain Monday Tuesday Wednesday should be perfect timing..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The ideal seeding date for clover here is about a month or 6 weeks past. I will frost seed red clover in my pastures and hay fields about February.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton

we were drilling something in the pastures it's just to make feed earlier

bare ground grilling triticale , wheat or rye and do not care if there's anything else established because that will get turned over later to grow sedan / sorghum hybrid for silage bales
Gotcha. Interesting on the warm season planting for silage. Not sure of anyone around here doing that. Though many probably should! I did meet one guy that had a retired CRP WSG field that he saved for late summer when the cool season pastures slowed. Always thought that was a good idea!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr

The ideal seeding date for clover here is about a month or 6 weeks past. I will frost seed red clover in my pastures and hay fields about February.
That's when most gets planted here, frost seeding from New Year's to Valentines day. If I could find some Med Red cheap enough, I'd like to try a heavy frost seeding for a food plot. May just do that this year...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Today, we got the first measurable rain in nearly 3 months in Northwest Alabama - a whole whopping 0.03" - not even enough to settle the dust very well. And the last time we had even a quarter inch of rain was back in July. I haven't planted any of my food plots yet. Got all the seed, but not enough moisture for it to germinate. May end up having to put out some Deer Cain this year to draw the deer. Never used the stuff before, but have heard folks rave about it.

We got lucky and got our corn in early this year and didn't have any late frosts that nipped it. If it had been even two weeks later, we'd have lost our butts. But even though we had a good crop, the depressed prices have knocked our profits in the head. After everything is paid, we'll just break even. Need to build a pole barn, but that ain't gonna happen.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got a good rain over the weekend here in western Kentucky. Over 3 inches at my place. I'd planted about 20 more acres in wheat and grass for hay, so the rain will bring it up for sure. We've had a couple of periods of dry weather here, but for the most part we have had timely moisture and crops were very good.

I don't do food plots for deer as they have plenty of stuff here to eat. Corn, soybeans, wheat, clover, along with acorns and all the other browse that they eat. I have never hunted over corn or any other kind of bait, except what nature provided. Now, having said that, if there was nothing there to attract them, and I wanted to kill a deer, I'd probably use any trick I could to draw them in, including food plots and bait.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What is this “…rain…” you people speak of?

The ancient ones talked of water falling from the sky but most consider it the addled ravings of fevered souls.

Dry as dust ‘round here!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
857 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 87 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,513 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums80
Topics1,182,814
Posts18,309,935
Members73,660
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.