Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntr
My new custom M70 in 7X57 shipped today!! I can't wait to get it!
As a fellow left-hander, you can't just drop some half-assed hint like that without a more complete set of details. wink

When and where do we get to hear more about this? Who built it, what barrel, etc.?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the only 7mm bullets I've used since I was 14 (60 now) are 139gr and 154gr Hornadys, both in my then new 7mm Wby and later in my 7X57s of various pedigrees from chopped up 93 mausers to fine combo guns.

I wanted to try something different in my well worn Husky, re-chambered to 7X57 AKL for antelope recently and brought out a box of low cost Speer 130gr FB HCs. I have whacked one speed-goat and two medium sized mulies with the bullet, and all went well. Still, I am a big fan of the 154-160gr range for the 7X57. Driven at meduim velocities, this weight in non-premium garden variety bullets works exceptionaly well with good expansion and penetration. The harder "premium" bullets are more for the 7 magnums, IMO, and don't expand sufficiently at average 7X57 velocities.

By the way...Mule Deer...I very much enjoyed the ten best guns article!

Last edited by luv2safari; 12/19/07.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Without the 7x57mm I would not have an internet handle. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and with my handloads and the 162 gr. Hornady SSTs that rifle will spit three slugs into a nice little .481 inch cloverleaf at 100 yards. With the 160 grain Nosler Partition it opens up to just a tad more than a half inch. I use nothing but H414. I have owned 7x57s in Ruger configuration for years until 2001, when I bought my CZ. That combo has been excellent for elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, javelina, wild hogs, coyotes and even turkey in Texas. The way I figure it, if I cannot get it done with a 7x57mm, then I don't need to be doing it in the first place. Have a nice day folks. Tom Purdom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
By the way...Mule Deer...I very much enjoyed the ten best guns article!

I second that emotion.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Wismon
AGW:

What type of bullet was that 140 gr. bullet that dispatched that horse?

Horse(s) There wre several dozen taken with a range of rifles and bullet used.

It was the standard Barnes 140gn XBT. Muzzle Velocity was a little over 2900fps from my Rigby.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by miket_81
Just for kicks if a guy was buying a new gun in 7mm-08 or 7X57 which would you recommend?

The 7x57 is a middle aged man's fetish. How old are you then make your choice.

AGW

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I had to kill one of my horses last year,the neighbor bought a mustang stud at an auction and it got in my pasture and broke one of my gelding's legs.

I killed him with what I had in the truck,which happened to feature a 140 grain bullet out of a 280. The balistic silvertip killed him like a lightning strike.

Britt

My son came home recently after being asked by a local farmer to take out one of his cows that was tangled in an electric fence for a long period and was totally fubar.

He chose my Rigby 275 and some 175 grain Woodleigh Weldcores for the job. When he returned home he commented that for a little cartridge, it sure kills bigger animals easy.

Yes it does, my son.

AGW

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

But I have found that there is a signficant difference in wind drift between light and heavy bullets, which is not nearly as predictable as trajectory.

For the one who asked.... I think that's reasoning for passing up on the light weight bullets. I would rather have drop than drift also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pet 7x57,built by Flaig's in the 1960s. I rescued it from a pawn shop in Meridian Mississippi. It looks for all the world like it was built for Eleanor O'Connor.

It has a very nice English walnut stock in the classic style with tasteful checkering,it is built on an Brno action and features a 2-7 Leupold in period Redfield mounts. I have not handloaded for it yet but it will put Hornady Light Mags and Norma factory stuff in neat little groups at 100 yards that run about an inch or a little better. It weighs about 8 pounds scoped and balances like a fine bird gun.

It is really pleasant to shoot,the man who ordered it and the people who built it both knew what they were doing. It shows signs of honnest use but no abuse and is fast becoming a favorite.

It really is quieter and more pleasant recoil wise than my 7mm-08s and 280s. I think this may be due to the lower presures and gas effect in the older cartridge.

It produces with these loads about the same velocity as the 7mm-08 but the larger case capacity must lower pressures enough that the 7x57 is more pleasant to shoot in guns of similar weight.

It's hard to beat a nice 7x57 for it's combination of user friendliness and effective killing on game.

Britt

Last edited by ruraldoc; 12/20/07.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I had to kill one of my horses last year,the neighbor bought a mustang stud at an auction and it got in my pasture and broke one of my gelding's legs.

I killed him with what I had in the truck,which happened to feature a 140 grain bullet out of a 280. The balistic silvertip killed him like a lightning strike.

Britt

My son came home recently after being asked by a local farmer to take out one of his cows that was tangled in an electric fence for a long period and was totally fubar.

He chose my Rigby 275 and some 175 grain Woodleigh Weldcores for the job. When he returned home he commented that for a little cartridge, it sure kills bigger animals easy.

Yes it does, my son.

AGW

Even elephants, too, apparently.

My mother just sent me a copy of any article from August 9th, 1935, from the Peru Tribune in Peru, IN. This is my hometown, and it was once the winter quarters for several national circuses. The article talked about the demise of a "mad bull" elephant named "Vance".

J. Omer Cole Fires Bullet Into Brain of Treacherous Pachyderm

...'Vance' had been treacherous and caused a lot of trouble, and therefore it was decided to "Put him away." ... J. Omer Cole, farmer and big game hunter who has been declared "Lord High Executioner" of elephants at the winterquarters shot "Vance" Sunday in the presence of a number of spectators. One bullet was fired into the elephants' brain and another through his heart. Death came practically without a struggle. After the first shot "Vance" acted like he was going through a regular performance as he had done many times before circus audiences. He squatted down on his haunches and then spread out his front feet and died. Then three caterpillar tractors were coupled onto the carcass which was dragged to a field and buried."

J. Omer was my Great Grandfather, and his rifle was a mauser in .275 Rigby. His house was filled with more than a dozen mounts of NA game animals. I figured he would've been really proud of having an elephant to his credit. Then again, he didn't exactly "stalk" it... and the taxidermists in small-town Indiana might not have known what to do with an elephant!

Someone should have told those hunters in Africa what a great elephant-killer the 7x57 was! (TIC!!!!)

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Huntr
My new custom M70 in 7X57 shipped today!! I can't wait to get it!
As a fellow left-hander, you can't just drop some half-assed hint like that without a more complete set of details. wink

When and where do we get to hear more about this? Who built it, what barrel, etc.?

The builder is our own "Redneck" here at the campfire, this is the third lefty M70 he has built for me in 2007. I am a HUGE fan of his work! The rifle is a SS lefty M70 with a PacNor 3 groove in Winchester's fwt. profile. Lee trues up the action, reworks the safety (the smoothest I have ever had the pleasure to own) does a trigger job, chambers, crowns, bead blast etc. Lee worked with me and PTG to get the their match grade reamer throated to my specs.........

I have the McMillan Edge, Williams Obendorf 1 piece bottom metal, Williams extractor and Wisner magazine spring here waiting on it! Oh, and Talley lwt's and a 6X36 Leupy with the LR dublex.

I will post pics, review, etc. as soon as I get my grubby hands on it!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother used my 7x57 to take a nice 10pt buck this year. 139gr Hornady SPBT ahead of 50gr H4350. He was amazed at the mild report and recoil compared to his .270. The old girl does work. smile

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Huntr,

You "owe" me a picture of the new build as well.

Doc

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have only had my 7x57 for 13 years. Built on one of those horrid M98 actions, barreled with a on sale Adams @ Bennet, triggered with a Bold and stocked in a Ramline plastic and scoped with a 4X widefield Redfield rebuilt by ABO. Oh yes also painted and slicked up by yours truly. Affectionatly called "Ugly" by yours truly this rifle has accomplished all tasks in all types of weather and is arguably the most useful rifle I have ever owned. I've used bullets that weigh from 139 grains to 175 grains and now generally use those in the 140-160 weight range, powders of choice are AA4350 and H414. It puts all these bullet weights close enough to poa that I can use them interchangably without resighting in. I can't pick out a favorite bullet because all have done just what I wanted, all shoot MOA or better (140-160 grain) and seemingly perform perfectly as I have recovered just on 160 grain Sierra and one 175 grain Hornady spire point, both of which negotiated many inches of spine. Originally concieved as a backup bad weather rifle Ugly has become the rifle the others have to follow in the lineup.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Huntr,

You "owe" me a picture of the new build as well.

Doc

How could I forget!! grin

Merry Christmas to you!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....My 7X57 is a CZ550FS (mannlicher) I swapped (right here on forum) a Remington 788 varmint model in 22/250 for. We both got great deals! The 788 was worked on and shot Winchester supreme 55gr ammo into five shot groups under a 1/2"! The CZ I got for it was new in the box, and has proven itself at the range with 3/4" groups with Hornady light magnum loads. I haven't taken the CZ to the field yet but know it will perform just fine. My 284 Brown High Country is just so light /handy, and accurate the CZ has stayed in the safe. My complaint with the CZ is that is unnecessarily heavy! Does Mcmillian make an edge stock to fit it? Wish they made an ultralight mannlicher stock for it!

Last edited by olhippie; 12/20/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been a gunsmith for over 50+ years a nd never had a gun built for myself. I decided at a reunion to have one built by an old classmate Clayton Nelson. We decided on a 7x57 since that was the one caliber I had never owned. It was built on a 1909 Mauser and finished out to be one of the nicest guns I've ever handled. I had it built to specifically use 175 gr bullets. It's a light weight 7lbs even with irons. Very slim 22" barrel. With Nosler Partitions it will shoot 3 shot groups into less than 1/2" after that the barrel warms up rather fast. Nice dark walnut stock with Neidner buttplate and steel gripcap with ebony forearm tip.Custom pedestal rear sight with folding leaf and custom front ramp with front sight that folds down into ramp. Barrel swivel on bottom of barrel not a band. Custom Talley bases that are excellant. Used it in Africa and took quite a bit of game including several Kudu. Just about my favorite rifle of all time. Out to 300 yards I don't really need anything else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Honestly I think that whatever can be said of the 7x57 can be said of the 308 Win too... good company IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have two,an M-77 MK II,and a #1A light sporter.
The 77 will put 3 sierra 175's into 1/2 inch if I do my part,and the #1 will put the same load into slightly over an inch.

I didn't go crazy on load development,just stuffed 44 gr. H-414,seated to factory load depth,got those results,and quit.

This load works great on our smallish Texas Whitetails,and our large tough hogs.

Jack O'Connor said he believed the reason the 7x57 kills so well is because it's so pleasant to shoot,and people practice with it more,and can shoot it better.
I agree.

A side note on the M-77 Hawkeye,
I just got one in 257 Roberts,only shot 2 factory loads so far.
Rem 117 RN,and Hornady 117 SST Light Mag's.

Puts both loads to same impact point into an 1 3/4 for 12 shots.

Most horrible trigger I've ever owned!!!
Still I think it has great potential.
Mike

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am in the process of putting together a prettier version of Ugly in 308.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.