24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been meaning to get one of these gizmos for ages. Found one recently at a decent price. PSA had a special on an upper and a lower AR receiver, so I picked those up. Put them together today, and headed out to my son's place to sight it in.
It shoots well at 25 and 50 yards. I am pleased with it. Now I need a good red dot sight.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

ARIC

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes they work well but turn the Magpul MBUS around the right way and slide it back toward the charging handle.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TWR
Yes they work well but turn the Magpul MBUS around the right way and slide it back toward the charging handle.
Good catch. Thanks.

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What twist is your barrel? I've often thought about getting one but have read they don't shoot well in a faster centerfire twist?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the PSA upper has a 1/7 barrel. At shorter ranges it seems ok. I need to try it out to 100 yards, but I don't really expect more than plinking accuracy with this set up

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the quick review, Sam. I’ve been meaning to get one and noticed PSA has a deal on them right now.

If you want a “cheap” red dot to try on it, the Crimson Trace CTS-25 model that PSA has on sale works pretty danged well for .22 rifles. I’ve had a couple of them, and even though they have a 4 MOA sized dot, they work well on 22 rifles at 25 yards for varmints.
And they use the common CR 2032 watch type batteries that seem to last forever.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/07/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
That sight looks like what I need. Placed the order with PSA. Thanks

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
the downsides are barrel diameter and twist. Thats one reason we built an upper years ago.. Krieger rimfire barrel. Its not cheap but it is a tack driver.

we had a conversion kit and even in a good brand barrel it was ok but not great.

When Bear Creek offered the 22 rimfire dedicated uppers at something just over 200 for a complete upper it was a no brainer for a plinker.

Sounds like yours is doing what you want it to and thats all that matters.

FWIW I've never wrung out bear creek. We have more than some of that horrid Rem gold bullet stuff from CMP and it shoots that around an inch or so at 25 although I'venever really benched it either. Just lean on this or that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the PSA upper has a 1/7 barrel. At shorter ranges it seems ok. I need to try it out to 100 yards, but I don't really expect more than plinking accuracy with this set up

That's what I have also. Good to know it works with it, not expecting target grade accuracy but not wanting shotgun patterns either

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
the downsides are barrel diameter and twist. Thats one reason we built an upper years ago.. Krieger rimfire barrel. Its not cheap but it is a tack driver.

we had a conversion kit and even in a good brand barrel it was ok but not great.

When Bear Creek offered the 22 rimfire dedicated uppers at something just over 200 for a complete upper it was a no brainer for a plinker.

Sounds like yours is doing what you want it to and thats all that matters.

FWIW I've never wrung out bear creek. We have more than some of that horrid Rem gold bullet stuff from CMP and it shoots that around an inch or so at 25 although I'venever really benched it either. Just lean on this or that.

My BC .22 Mag appears to be a winner. The LR version works a bit differently, so you can leave your standard buffer in.
Cost me less than $400, lower, upper, and one mag, less than I was planning to spend on a RAR. Naturally I’ve spent a bit more on accessory bits and optics.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have one of the CMMG .22 conversion kits and it works fine in my AR's which are mostly 1/7 and 1/8. I haven't really tested accuracy that much but it shoots OK at 50 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
The C/S dot sight turned out to be a bust. The little rubber pad that covers the brightness + and - buttons fell off in the back yard. I never found it. Returned it this morning. Dang. Looks like HoloSun or Sig next time.

Sam......

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Mine shoots pretty damn good groups in my 1:9" MP Sport 2, with Federal bulk 36gr HP's. Want to try it in my builds also, but just picked up a BCA .22 Upper, so don't know if it's even worth trying in the others.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 09wingates, 1lessdog, 1911a1, 74 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 1,795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums80
Topics1,182,250
Posts18,300,926
Members73,639
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.