Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Another 10K of psi and you should get be able to get 2,850.

Yeah, I think that is reasonable.

What are you 7x57 owners using for actions? Long or short? If not short then I don't see the need.

7x57 is kind of an awkward length. It's just a little too long to really work well in a short action, and not long enough to really require a long action. Yugo Mausers just right for that length cartridge.

My particular 7x57 is on a Zastava long commercial Mauser action. It happens to be the chambering that I got a good deal on. I like the rifle, and it shoots well. If the barrel had been 7mm-08 or 280, I'm sure that's what I would have ended up shooting.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've loaded for both and have owned several 280's, 3-4 7x57, but have only worked with 140's in each because there was no requirement for a 160 for my hunting.All these rifles had 22" barrels and ran the gamut from Remington Mountain rifles to full blown customs.

Bottom line was 2800-2850 from the 7x57;3000-3100 with 140's from the 280 Rem.Back then,only RL22 gave the velocities I liked with great accuracy from the 280.I have not messed with either cartridge in over a decade because they do nothing that can't be done with a 270.

Back in the 80's there were a few gungacks running around getting over 3000 from 140's in the 7x57 using Norma 205. I would not want a steady diet of those loads, even today.This is the same old story of the smaller case coming close to the larger case with light bullets, but the spread increases when bullet weight goes up.

I would say the chances of safely hitting 2900 with a 160 in the 7x57 are grim from sporter barrels.Only one load in the new Nosler manual hits that from the 280 Rem.

Much as I admire it,and setting "cool" factor aside,the 7x57 cannot deliver the velocities of a 280 because it holds less powder.If you desire 2900 from a 160 gr bullet, get the 280; even then, you'll be lucky to get it from 22" barrels at safe pressures IMO.

Well put!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 7x57 Ruger #1 has a short action and it works beautifully. smile

There's no need for 280 lovers to get defensive. I didn't see anyone post that their 7x57 is faster than a 280, or even as fast. We all know the 280 is faster. Take a deep breath and a sip of your drink. It's all good.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I kinda feel sorry for the guys who worship at the alter of velocity.

I go out of my way to shoot a 7x57 and it's offspring,simply because I like them,and they work.

Being the weirdo that I am,I really like conventional bullets too.
Reckon it has anything to do with the fact that I shoot them at the speed they're designed for.

If you prefer a 280,enjoy it,that's the main thang.
Mike

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks,280!...... laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was the person who crunched the numbers and came up with the formula (approximate) that any increase or decrease in powder capacity results in 1/4 that increase in potential muzzle velocity, at the same pressure in the same bore size.

It is gratifying to see it quoted so much. Once I even saw it quoted as "the old 1/4 rule." I first published it in RIFLE or HANDLOADER (can't remember which) at most 10 years ago, which I guess qualifies as "old" in this era of the Internet.

I worked out the formula partly because of discussions like this. I had also grown weary of gun writers guessing how much "Ackley Improving" a round would increase the velocity.

The formula was developed by crunching the numbers from a bunch of handloading manuals. If you want to argue about it, feel free. But first spend a few days crunching numbers so we have something realistic to argue about.

The .280 has about 20% more powder capacity than the 7x57, with the same bullet seated to factory overall length (about 3.1" in the 7x57 and 3.35" in the .280). Exactly how much depends on
brass weight, but 20% is pretty close.

Thus the .280 can drive bullets about 5% faster when loaded to the same pressure, in the same barrel length. If the 7x57 is capable of 2700 fps with a 160-grain bullet, then the .280 will drive the same 160 to 2835. If the 7x57 is capable of 2900 with a 140, then the .280 can drive the same bullet to 3045, again everything else being equal.

I see that somebody has brought up the old myth about needing a longer barrel in the .280, to burn up all that slow powder. This is indeed an old one, but the truth is that just about all the smokeless powder that's going to burn in a rifle round (99%+) burns by the time the bullet has traveled maybe 2 inches in front of the chamber, exactly how far depending on various factors. The bullet continues to accelerate because the gas produced by the powder continues to expand, not because the powder is still burning.

In reality, the powder that produces the most velocity in a 26" barrel also produces the highest velocity in an 18" barrel.
This has been proven over and over again. In fact, the LEAST loss of any load's velocity in shorter barrels generally comes from a combination of slow-burning powder and heavy bullets.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 12/30/07.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There sure are a lot of loud 280 afficianado's but at our local Academy stores you can't get 280 ammo of any kind. One brand of 7MM-08 and twice as much 7x57 ammo of the same Brand (Rem.) are what is on the shelves. And locally this store has the biggest variety of factory ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had a bunch of custom 280's & have NEVER got better than 2,725 fps with a 160gr bullet. I have never fired a heaver bullet than 154 in a 7x57.. They both kill deer & hogs with the loads i use however.

If you want 280 factory ammo in Atlanta Bass Pro is the only source I could find a few years ago. If you want to shoot a .284 bullet in a factory round get a 7 Rem mag

Last edited by gahuntertom; 12/30/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I qualify as a "Pan lil 7" looney.

Have a 7mm-08, 3 7x57's, and a 280 in the safe. At least I don't need to stock bullets of the 270 ilk on the loading bench.

The 7x57's are milsurp mauser actions. My mannlicher FN Venezuelan "woods gun", another FN Venezuelan "parts gun", and an 1896 Vintage M93 Spanish made in Berlin. Still trying to figure out what to do with it, but there is merit to an "antique" action sitting in the safe.

Of the three cartridges the lil 7mm-08 makes the most sense. Does a right regular 2875 with 139 Hornady's out of a 20" barrel when pushed by 50gr of H4350. But that's Doecamper's gun. I CLEAN it at my own peril ;-)

GE

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think you would find that most .280 users handload and thus why you don't see it in every Academy, Dicks etc., My local Academy has .280 and I have bought some recently to get my .280's on paper.

Not that it proves anything, but a decent indicator of what the potential of two cartridges is the ballistics of Hornady's light magnum. They tend to be about the fastest MV you will find in commercial loads.

Both use 139 gr SST:

7x57 - 2830 fps
.280 - 3110 fps

280 fps difference.

The 7x57 is what it is. A step above a 7/08 and step below a .280 which is a step below a 7RM. Nothing wrong with that. Each one is a great round. All depends on what you are using it for and how much recoil/noise you want to deal with.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Foxbat
The 7x57 is what it is. A step above a 7/08 and step below a .280 which is a step below a 7RM. Nothing wrong with that. Each one is a great round. All depends on what you are using it for and how much recoil/noise you want to deal with.

Exactly. Well said too.
I have a 7x57 (Plus two that my kids have that I load for), a Win 284 custom on a Mauser 98 action, plus a 7mm Mag. Each one has it's place in my line up. And, I got into 7x57's long before the 7-08 was a dream, so I'll stay with the 7x57, which incidentally, is a better chambering than the 7-08. The Win 284 is as close to the 280 Rem as you can get in terms of velocity, and the 7mm Mag is as much 7mm velocity that I want, or need. Each chambering I mention here has a different level of velocity, and recoil, for a given bullet weight.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by Foxbat

so I'll stay with the 7x57, which incidentally, is a better chambering than the 7-08.

Don

Why do you say that?

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That is a classic example of the oxymoron "false logic."

Hornady Light Magnums (and any other U.S. commercial ammo made by a member of SAAMI) still has to conform to SAAMI maximum pressures. SAAMI maximum pressures for the 7x57 are lower than for the .280, even in "Light Magnum" ammo. I don't have the numbers at hand, but believe the 7x57 maximum is around 50,000 psi, and the .280 maximum 60,000.

In fact, handloaders can safely exceed the muzzle velocity of Hornady Light Magnum 7x57 ammo with "modern" pressures of 60,000 psi or so, even in a 22" barrel. Look it up in Nosler's manual. The top muzzle velocity listed for 140-grain bullets in the 7x57 is 2892 fps. With the 139 Hornady (which has a shorter bearing surface than any 140-grain Nosler 7mm bullet) you can safely go up to 2950 or so.

I have owned a pile of 7x57's and .280's, and tested them in pressure lads. The difference is about what's indicated with the 1/4 formula, 5%. This is admittedly hard to pin down from most manual and factory data, because of the pressure differences between the rounds. Or even barrel length differences. Nosler's manual would be much more useful in this comparison (since they load both rounds to about the same pressure) except for the fact that they tested the 7x57 in a 22" barrel and the .280 in a 26" barrel.

The 5% difference does come out to around 150 fps for most bullet weights. This amounts to about what bullets from the .280 lose 50 yards from the muzzle. So in theory the .280 has about a 50-yard advantage over the 7x57.

In something like a quarter of a century of handloading and hunting with both rounds, however, I can generally say that the 7x57's bullets will get to whatever animal is being aimed at, and kill. As will the .280's.

Naturally, this is only if the hunter in question is familiar with the rifle in hand, an ideal I know we all strive for.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I was the person who crunched the numbers and came up with the formula (approximate) that any increase or decrease in powder capacity results in 1/4 that increase in potential muzzle velocity, at the same pressure in the same bore size.

It is gratifying to see it quoted so much. Once I even saw it quoted as "the old 1/4 rule." I first published it in RIFLE or HANDLOADER (can't remember which) at most 10 years ago, which I guess qualifies as "old" in this era of the Internet.

I worked out the formula partly because of discussions like this. I had also grown weary of gun writers guessing how much "Ackley Improving" a round would increase the velocity.

The formula was developed by crunching the numbers from a bunch of handloading manuals. If you want to argue about it, feel free. But first spend a few days crunching numbers so we have something realistic to argue about.

The .280 has about 20% more powder capacity than the 7x57, with the same bullet seated to factory overall length (about 3.1" in the 7x57 and 3.35" in the .280). Exactly how much depends on
brass weight, but 20% is pretty close.

Thus the .280 can drive bullets about 5% faster when loaded to the same pressure, in the same barrel length. If the 7x57 is capable of 2700 fps with a 160-grain bullet, then the .280 will drive the same 160 to 2835. If the 7x57 is capable of 2900 with a 140, then the .280 can drive the same bullet to 3045, again everything else being equal.

I see that somebody has brought up the old myth about needing a longer barrel in the .280, to burn up all that slow powder. This is indeed an old one, but the truth is that just about all the smokeless powder that's going to burn in a rifle round (99%+) burns by the time the bullet has traveled maybe 2 inches in front of the chamber, exactly how far depending on various factors. The bullet continues to accelerate because the gas produced by the powder continues to expand, not because the powder is still burning.

In reality, the powder that produces the most velocity in a 26" barrel also produces the highest velocity in an 18" barrel.
This has been proven over and over again. In fact, the LEAST loss of any load's velocity in shorter barrels generally comes from a combination of slow-burning powder and heavy bullets.

MD ....... thanks for this info. I've never read this before.

This has been an interesting thread. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
San Juan Hill is where it started and the old 7x57 is what sent the USA back to the drawing board to come up with somthing new to compete with that new little round that spanish were using on us,ive been hunting and shooting from a kid on up to 50 years,And in the circles of hunters and shooters I ran with in say the last 35 years,I have never known a 280 rem shooter,but I have known many a 7x57 shooter,Id be willing to bet cha that with a good rifle set up for me in the old 7mm mauser,that I can kill anything you guys can with your 270-280 class rifles,Dont get me wrong Im not knockin the 270-280 class rifles,Ive never owned a 270 win but Ive some buddies who do and Ive fired a few of them and I will say there is one thing that a 270 win. surley has on a 7x57 and that is felt recoil,the 270 win. is a fine performer,I wont argue that and I have a tendancy to like most cartridges built on the old 06 case,have had many,But I am a definate fan of the old 7x57mm mauser,what was the name of the man who killed over a thousand elephants with the old mauser in the early 1900s,lots of history and nostalgia come along with this fine round and it like the others have spawned a couple of very nice factory rounds,then again my attitude has always been shot placement is the key to it all,what is all the power in the world if you dont hit the mark,Id be much more concerned about my rifle hitting a dime a 100 yds than a bullet flying along a say 500 fps faster that couldnt hit the dime at 100yds,Ive had several 7x57mm mausers and never been disappointed in any of them,some like fords and some chevys and Dodges,they all get the work done,but we all see different things in them that suit us individually,I love guns and ballistics,yipper Ive been bitten by the bug,many good uns abound,but in my heart the old 7x57 will always be at the top of the list..................

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sounded like a eulogy. After looking for 7x57 factory fodder I might agree a eulogy is appropriate.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That is a classic example of the oxymoron "false logic."

Hornady Light Magnums (and any other U.S. commercial ammo made by a member of SAAMI) still has to conform to SAAMI maximum pressures. SAAMI maximum pressures for the 7x57 are lower than for the .280, even in "Light Magnum" ammo. I don't have the numbers at hand, but believe the 7x57 maximum is around 50,000 psi, and the .280 maximum 60,000.

In fact, handloaders can safely exceed the muzzle velocity of Hornady Light Magnum 7x57 ammo with "modern" pressures of 60,000 psi or so, even in a 22" barrel. Look it up in Nosler's manual. The top muzzle velocity listed for 140-grain bullets in the 7x57 is 2892 fps. With the 139 Hornady (which has a shorter bearing surface than any 140-grain Nosler 7mm bullet) you can safely go up to 2950 or so.

I have owned a pile of 7x57's and .280's, and tested them in pressure lads. The difference is about what's indicated with the 1/4 formula, 5%. This is admittedly hard to pin down from most manual and factory data, because of the pressure differences between the rounds. Or even barrel length differences. Nosler's manual would be much more useful in this comparison (since they load both rounds to about the same pressure) except for the fact that they tested the 7x57 in a 22" barrel and the .280 in a 26" barrel.

The 5% difference does come out to around 150 fps for most bullet weights. This amounts to about what bullets from the .280 lose 50 yards from the muzzle. So in theory the .280 has about a 50-yard advantage over the 7x57.

In something like a quarter of a century of handloading and hunting with both rounds, however, I can generally say that the 7x57's bullets will get to whatever animal is being aimed at, and kill. As will the .280's.

Naturally, this is only if the hunter in question is familiar with the rifle in hand, an ideal I know we all strive for.

No where did I imply that referring to Hornady's light magnums was an arbiter of handloading potential. In fact I quite specifically stated that is was merely a decent comparison of commercial loads and really proved nothing. As they utilize the same bullet and maximum safe pressures under SAAMI, it is better than trying to compare an arbitrary Remington load to a Winchester load or even two Remington loads which are often all over the map as far as pressure.

Not everyone handloads, so this would be a fair comparison for someone forced to buy commercial cartridges.

I understand that you can safely exceed SAAMI for the 7x57 through handloading, of course you can safely exceed 60k psi with the .280 as well, unless one thinks there is some magic to the brass that has a headstamp with .270 win on it. But again, my point was merely to provide an apples to apples comparison for maximum commercial loads.

Your previous post was a home run, I just think you may have misread mine. Perhaps I could have been clearer with where I was going with it.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 7x57 is really about light recoil, and it's about the enjoyment of using a classic traditional cartridge. I don't see any point at all in trying to load it to 280 Rem. levels. In fact, I know some die-hard 280 fans who are also real fans of the 7x57, and simply becuase it burns less powder and is a joy to shoot, plus it's a classic cartridge with a rich history.

One of my friends hunts quite a bit with a lightweight Biesen 7mm Mauser, and that rifle's like a whisp in the hand, and it seems to point itself. As light and petite as it is, it still doesn't kick all that much, but it would buck a bit harder if it was a 280 Rem. That's why my friend loves it.

If I ever order a NULA rifle from Melvin Forbes, I'd be very much inclined to order it in 7x57. That seems like a good marriage to me........

AD

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Like trying to prove that 947 angels instead of 946 angels can dance on the head of a pin. I've got em both, and it's a clear-cut case of "Whatever floats your boat".

Wayne

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Increasing the case capacity of a 7x57 to that of a 280 does not yield as much MV increase as moving from a 308 case to a 30-06 case in a 30 caliber round. The expansion ratio just isn't as favorable.

Just for grins, we can compare the 7x57 shooting a 150 grain bullet at 2850 FPS to a 280 shooting the same bullet at 3000 FPS.

One way to set a maximum range is to compare the ranges at which the bullet drops 24". Past that, you have to be a very good range estimater to get your elevation right. At 2850 FPS, the 7x57 reaches this point at 415 yards. The 280 is good to 425. Advantage, 280 by 10 yards.

Another way to set a maximum range is to compare the distances at which the bullet drops below 2100 FPS. This is the range where conventional bullets stop opening reliably. For the 7x57, the range is 400 yards. For the 280, it's 465. Advantage 280, by 65 yards.

If you're using Partitions, the magic impact speed is 1700 FPS or more. 7x57, 635 yards, 280 715 yards. Advantage 280, by 80 yards.

There is another side to the speed argument: If you're shooting at 3000 FPS with standard bullets, you might want to consider whether you want to take shots within 100 yards. That's the distance where the bullet drops to 2800 FPS. Above that, standard bullets open too much and too quickly, producing shorter wound channels. For the 7x57, this distance is 25 yards. Advantage 7x57, by 75 yards. Of course, if you're shooting premium bullets, this probably won't be an issue.

If there is any great lesson from the 10,000 moose thread, it is that there are many combinations that work very well.

Understand what your favorite rifle and load will do, and enjoy using it within those limits. Barring unusual situations, the one and only purpose of a firearm is to bring enjoyment to its owner. If it does that, it's successful.

Last edited by denton; 12/30/07.

Be not weary in well doing.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.