Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1924644 01/07/08
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
my grandfather is givin me a 243 remington 788 that hasent had a box of bullets fired through it,it is in flawless condition,i have heard how accurate they were,but i ran across this info and i had never heard any of this.

Notes on the Remington 788
Popularity
Bolt handle breakage
Bolt Compression
The Good and the Bad
Discontinued
Production History
Parts
Popularity
The 788 has a cult following due to its original low cost and accuracy potential. Some even claim that it was discontinued because it was more accurate than the Model 700. While Blue Books list them about $150 less than same-caliber plain Model 700's, gun shows and shops sometimes have them for equivalent prices! Other times, they are screaming bargains on the used racks.

IMHO the best one are the .222's, because of the lower case pressure and smaller case head makes for less bolt thrust. A .222Rem 788 (well cared for) can be shot for a lifetime. The .243Win and .308Win versions can be problematic if consistantly loaded hot. The .223Rem's are okay but (IMHO) should not be used constantly with the hot 5.56mm NATO ammo. While a Remington 700 doesn't care, the hotter military loads in 5.56mm stress the action more.

I was once quite enamoured with 788's but have decided that they are utilitarian guns that have limited lifetimes. They are worth having the bolts fixed, barrel free-floated and glass bedded. They are not worth having expensive work done like: custom stocks, checkering, aftermarket barrels installed, and so on. (Unless... you are doing it yourself as a home project on a gun that you are not afraid to bugger-up. I'd rather butcher a 788 than a 700!)

While reading this, you might feel I am overly critical. After all, the rifle was very accurate, very reasonably priced and it does work. On the other hand, bolt action rifles are a mature technology, and in some cases are relied upon for the utmost in reliability in life and death situations. Given that, and several serious flaws, it is alarming that some enthusiasts seek to propel this model into the Classic category.

My take on the 788 now? If you want a receiver to shoot 3500 rounds through, rebarrel, do it again, repeat, get something else. If you are going across the country or world for the hunt of a lifetime, it is more likely to let you down than a more proven, classic action. If you want something for casual hunts and plinking with, it will do just fine.

The Good and the Bad
Here's my standard list of 788 comments:

Good stuff
Good or great accuracy
Economical (at least when new)
Very fast lock time
Short action
Rigid receiver
60 degree bolt throw
Magazine unloads rifle quickly (still have to unload chamber)
700-style round receiver profile makes bedding and restocking straightforward.
Bad stuff
Bolt compression leads to case stretch and eventually excessive headspace, especially on the .473" head, high pressure models (.308Win, 7mm-08Rem, .22-250Rem, .244Rem). Not a rifle for maxed-out handloads. Better suited to the small-head cartridges like the 45K CUP pressure .222Rem cartridge.
Brazed-on straight, hollowed (ugly) bolt handle tends to break off. Can be fixed by a real gunsmith with proper heat sinks, heat control paste and a MIG or TIG welder. Don't let an animal with an arc welder ruin your bolt.
High ejection angle interferes with scope knobs. The only fixes are a 90 degree rotated scope or very high scope rings.
Small ejection port makes it hard to clear when jammed. Combined with the ejection angle's tendency to bounce empty shells off the scope and back into the action, this can be a serous problem when an urgent second shot is required.
The magazine tends to rattle, a problem for hunters.
The trigger is not adjustable, but a pro can do a bit of a trigger job on it. It can be lightened and cleaned up, but only to a point. The only aftermarket trigger is Canjar, very nice but insanely expensive.
The receiver, while rigid, is overly heavy for a short action rifle. The result is a light-barreled, short action rifle that weighs as much (ore more) as most standard rifles.
Not much meat on the barrel, which makes it hard to set-back a turn to correct an excessive headspace condition. Setting back the barrel a quarter turn leaves the sights and marking unusable.
Spaces around the receiver lug hid bluing crystals, the guns were poorly rinsed at the factory, so many 788's have rust, or no bluing left.
Beech stock and stamped metal make for an over-all cheap appearance. It looks like a nice rifle from afar, but a close look reveals it's a cheapie. The stamped bottom metal is particularly plain. The plain white-wood stock is very light. There are no caps on the pistol grip or forend. There is no checkering of any kind available. Sling holders are not quick-detachable.
Magazines are getting scarcer and scarcer but still can be found, but can also be lost.
Single stack magazine limits capacity and spoils lines.
Unsupported bolt has a sloppy feel after unlocking, compared to the piston-like feel of Classics like the Model 70 and Model 700.
Bolt handle breakage
Unlike the Remington 700 bolt, which is high-temperature brazed along the bolt body and very sturdy, the bolt handle of the 788 is low-temperature brazed directly to the side of the bolt body. As a result it can be broken off with sufficient force in trying to extract a stuck case.

If you doubt the bolt-handle really breaks off... read this.
Case one, second try, third try
Another
Another
Another
Another

Bolt Compression
The achilles heel of the Model 788 is the combination of the rear-locking bolt, brazed-on bolt handle, and high pressure cartridges with standard head sizes. When a fired cartridge gets wedged in the chamber, the bolt handle is leaned on until it breaks off. While this issue affects primarily reloaders, benchresters and other experimenters, a broken bolt in the field can ruin a hunt.

If you have a small head size (.222Rem, .223Rem) 788, or one of the rimmed 788's (.44Mag, .30-30) this issue is less likely to affect you. However, even these rifles are not good choices to explore max reloads with.

The late Gale McMillan set us rec.gunners straight when he explained how bolt compression and case length growth with high pressure loads doomed the 788 to a short stay at the benchrest line.

The rear locking bolt compresses, allows the case to stretch. This leads to short case life and possible case head seperation (for reloaded cases). Stuart Otteson's The Bolt Action Rifle: A Design Analysis bears this out, calculating a .001" compression per thousand pounds of bolt thrust. Since a full-strength .308 Winchester cartridge has as much as 6,000 pounds of bolt thrust, handloaders can see the problem here.

Discontinued
I have heard three versions as to why the 788 was discontinued.

It was more accurate than a 700, and therefore an embarassment to the company.
They lost a huge lawsuit concerning the saftey mechanism and discontinued it for liability reasons. (I recall an excellent rec.guns post on this about a decade ago, which I cannot find.)
It costs more than the 700 to make.
The last is supported by Otteson's book The Bolt Action Rifle, which explains how some misguided management design goals and complicated tooling made the 788 an expensive rifle to produce.

In addition I have my own theory:

1. They ran Mossberg out of the low-end centerfire rifle business (Mossberg 800) and Savage dropped their one-lug (Model 340) model, so they succeeded in dominating that segment of the market, dropped it and made more money selling more expensive Model 700's.

If I recall correctly, the last production of the 788 were all the carbine version, which had a very short barrel. The muzzle blast is very high, especially on the 243 version. (I'm not a big fan of short barreled .243's!)

Production History
This is the production history, as far as I can piece it together. I am working from multiple sources but I have no way of verifying any of this information.

1967 Production Begins. The Remington 788 competes against other economy bolt actions: Savage Model 340 (Short action .222, 30-30), Savage 110E bolt actions (Long action .30-06, .243Win), Mossberg 800 (Short action, 60 degree bolt .222, .22-250Rem, .243Win and .308Win) and Winchester Model 770 (.222Rem, .22-250Rem, .243Win, .308Win, .270Win, .30-06).

Some initial debate about the accuracy potential of a rear-locking action rifle fades as actual reports of accuracy come in.

1970 (or before) Left Hand models available in 6mmRem and .308Win.

1972 O.F. Mossberg discontinues the Model 800 rifle.

1975 Bolt-lock function of safety is discontinued. The new rifles can be unloaded with the safety engaged.

197? Production normalization reduces number of available receiver lengths.

1979 O.F. Mossberg & Sons discontinues the Model 810 rifle, getting out of the centerfire rifle business.

1980 Stock contour changes slightly, and is now inletted for bottom metal to be mounted flush.

1980 The 7mm-08 Remington chambering introduced.

1980 The 243Win, 7mm-08Rem and .308Win models now only available in 18.5 inch length. The .223Rem and .22-250Rem have 24" barrels. All other chamberings obsolete.

1983 Last year of production.

Parts
Complete bolts have long been out of stock. However, if the bolt body is retained, a new bolt handle can be MIG or TIG welded on by any competant gunsmith. (Don't let an eager beaver with an arc welder or torch ruin your irreplacable bolt; it will anneal the rear lugs). Wisner's has made an exciting promise to make a reproduction bolt, but availability is not yet known.

Wolff Blitzschnell springs in 22 lbs (factory is 20 lbs) can be bought from gunsprings.com. Stock 788's have a plenty-fast lock time, but it is nice to know that some kind of commercial replacement is out there.

Magazines show up in old gun shops and gun shows on a regular basis, and vary in price from $15 to $30. CDNN has good prices and selections. Remember the 222 and 223 mags are interchangable, as are the 243 with the 7mm-08 and the .308.

Besides magazines, extractors and their rivets can be had from Brownell's. Despite buying Remington's old parts stock, they have no Remington bolts available.

Magazines are interchangable in similar sizes. The .222Rem and .223Rem can be interchanged, likewise the 7mm-08Rem with the .308Win. The most difficult magazines to find are the .44Mag and the .30-30WCF.

Here's another source for magazines, including .22-250.

Wisner's has bolt stops.

Ramline made a synthetic stock for the 788. While out of production for a while, it is still stocked at many vendors. Semi-inletted wood stocks are available from the usual sources, like Richards MicroFit and Wenig.

Canjar has a limited stock of 788 benchrest triggers. Last I checked, the price is over $300. Timney has finally introduced its long-awaited 788 trigger.

Silent Recall?
I've heard word that Remington had a silent recall on the Remington 788. I've heard two reports that if you sent one in for repair, you got a coupon back for $99 against a Remington 700 and a thank-you. Since then I've heard of repairs being done. This might reflect the curious nature of our tort law. Manufacturers settle on liabilities with clauses that there is a time limitation on remediation. After that they have discharged their duties.

Nowadays Remington uses Factory Authorized Service Centers, so I don't think this is the case anymore.

If anyone can clarify this, I'd appreciate it.

In March 2002 I noticed that some 700's had a recall due to the bolt lock. The Remington 788 was mentioned on the web site, for the first time (as far as I know) ever.

I am reproducing the text on the 788 verbatim, as a public service. The link, if it is still there by the time you read this, is:
Recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remington Model 788 bolt-action rifles are not included in the safety modification program.

Model 788 rifles were manufactured from 1967 until 1983. Model 788 rifles made before 1975 were equipped with a bolt-lock mechanism. IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: If you have a Model 788 rifle with a bolt-lock mechanism, the manual safety must be placed in the .F. or .Off or Fire. position to lift the bolt and begin the process of unloading the rifle. Be sure the rifle is pointing in a safe direction anytime you move the manual safety to the .F. or .Off or Fire. position. After you have lifted the bolt, slide the bolt rearward and then immediately put the manual safety back in the .S. or .On safe. position and then continue the unloading process.

Regardless of whether your Model 788 rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism you must always follow the 10 Commandments of Firearm Safety. Special care must be taken during the loading and unloading process. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Always unload your rifle when not actually in use. Every firearm should be unloaded as soon as you are finished shooting . before taking it into your car, camp or house. Remington wants you to enjoy the shooting sports - safely!

Should you desire service on any of your Remington firearms please feel free to call us on our toll free service line (800) 243.9700 or visit the Remington Authorized Repair Center nearest you.

�2002 Remington Arms Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
www.remington.com

Last edited by trophytaker308; 01/07/08.
BP-B6

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good review and I thank you.
I have a 1979 model in .308 and have used it for hunting only and it has been a good gun. Simple, yet effective.
I have other rifles, too, but I still use my 788 as my main gun.
Even if it broke tomorrow, this gun owes me nothing. I mean... what did I pay for this gun 29 years ago? $150??
I've killed at least 15 bucks with it and have never missed or wounded a deer yet.
I took 2 shots with it this year. One hit the bulls eye when sighting it in and the other took a nice deer yet again.

I guess I don't understand some of the negative connotation of your review.
Spend $150 for a gun and have it perform flawlessly for 29 years and I'm supposed to have a complaint? LOL.

Last edited by Two503000; 01/07/08.

Phil
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
does any of you guys own a 788 rifle,had any of these problems if so.
is yours that accurate? ...thaks

Last edited by trophytaker308; 01/08/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 788, 22/250 that I bought new in 1971. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own and I've never had one bit of problem with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned several Remington 788s in, IIRC, every cartridge offered except the 7mm-08 and 44 Magnum.

The 1st varmint rifle that I bought with $$ that I earned, hauling maple sap buckets, was a slightly used Remington 788 in 22-250. I put a Weaver K8 in Weaver mounts on it and shot quite a few 'chucks in NH, NY, and VT. I traded it toward a Remington 660 in 308 sometime in the mid-1970s after I bought a used Remington 700 V in 22-250.

I currently have a Remington 788 that was a 22" 308, but it is now a 23.5" 260 bedded into a McM stock. I never shot it as a 308, but it shoots good as a 260 with a reworked A&B Savage barrel from Midway.

I never have shot a Remington 788 enough to have any of the problems that you've cited, but I believe that I recall reading that Rick Jamison primary coyote rifle for several years, before he became a big name gun writer, was a Remington 788 in 22-250 and I don't recall reading that he had any trouble.

Jeff

IC B2

Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
I have a Rem 788 in .223 which I purchased used at a gun show. I have owned it for about 5 years now and have never had the first problem with it. I however do not shoot 100's of rounds per year with it.

It is probably the most accurate rifle I currently own

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Have owned many a 788: 6mm Rem with 100 grainers, 22-250 with 55 grain bullets, 223 with Noler 40 gr.BT, all loaded at One grain under max never a problem. Built a 22-250 AI with factory barrel both on the 22-250 actions and 308 lenght actions no problems, Made a 250-3000 AI on a 308 lenght and neer max charges ran into pressure problems. Bolt became stickey, I now load to about an one grain under max 250-300 standard by using slower powder. The 250-300 AI has a PacNor 24' Factory contured Barrel with a 10 twist and MPI thumble whole (RH) stock and overhauled factory trigger shoots five shot groups into high 19's and low 20's. Rest shot 3/8 to 1/2 groups with handloads. Did have to re- barrel a 22-250 I bought used that was shot out and had a head space problem. I have owned the 6mm for 36 years, still shoots around 3/8" groups. Dad killed His last Mule Deer with it just before he died. Someday a grand child will get this one also. I know the 788 had short commings, Yet like many of the early cars had short commings it didn't stop them from beoming cLassics either.

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
..The most accurate rifle I've ever owned was a Rem 788 in 22/250. I, living in Georgia, Had little use for the rifle save punching one hole five shot groups you could cover with a DIME! That rifle asked for factory Winchester premium 55 gr. loads to shoot such groups. Never had any problems with the gun and traded it off here on forum for a new in box CZ550FS in 7mm Mauser. The CZ does well with factory ammo too,printing three shot groups under an inch.
....I've read much about the weak points of the 788 design, even more about it's excellent performance. I've not had a friend who's expierenced any of the 788's shortcomings, but everyone I've known who's owned one has bragged of it's shooting performance. I'd buy another in a flash, if I could come upon a 308 carbine in pristine condition with the early walnut stock.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Buddy-o-mine took the biggest pig in the county one year with a 788 in 308. 495 pounds of nasty hog. The 788 simply hit the target at 380 yards.

What's not to like?

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pop taught me how to shoot a high powered rifle with a 788 in 6MM Remington.

That old rifle took well over 100 deer (dad had one string of 28

dead in their tracks bang flops and a deer never made more than

about 50 -75 yards when hit with this rifle) and Lord only knows

how many groundhogs with a 75 grain Speer or Hornady HP and 43.0

grains of IMR 4350.

I'll always have a soft spot for the 788.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Years ago I owned a 788 in 223 , one time upon firing it I got a case stuck in the chamber. I opened the action by beating on the bolt handle with a stick of wood , tore the rim off the brass and it remained in the chamber. The bolt handle remained on the bolt , had I only known that was a weak point of the rifle I am sure the bolt handle would have broken off.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've personally used 788s in 222, 22-250, 243, and 308. I still have a 308. Never had any problems with any of them and they all shot very well. Usually under MOA. I would take a 788 anyday over the 700. I'm not terribly fond of the 700 for a lot of the same reasons you cited for the 788. My favorite remingtons are 600, 660, and 788s. I've had problems with all of the remington 700s I have owned. I've only had two but that was enough for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only real knock on the 788 was that it was ugly as sin. It was introduced by Remington as a cheap, entry-level weapon and designed as cheaply as possible.

Shortly after they appeared a strange thing happened. Because it was built as cheap as possible, the openings for the magazine and ejection port were machined as small as possible. With it's rear locking lugs, the "action" (basically a steel tube) was made fairly thick to mate with the lugs on the bolt. Because of the thick action and very small machined openings, the action was extreemly stiff and stable......basically the same end result as when benchrest shooters would "sleave" a standard action like the 700 by welding a section of pipe over it and making minimum size openings.

For a time there was a "run" on 788 actions by the benchrest community to build competition rifles as this "cheap" gun turned out to be one of the most accurate ever designed.

You may hear many bad things about the 788, but seldom will you ever hear of one that won't shoot very accurately.

The early stocks on these rifles were made of oak and then "painted" with one of the most ugly finishes ever developed. Strip off that finish and many of thenm have surprisingly pretty, if light colored, grain patterns. Refinish with an oil based (Linspeed or True Oil) finish and the appearence is greatly enhanced.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. trophytaker308:
[Linked Image]
The788 in the picture is one of 2 that I�ve worked on a fair bit. Both were .308�s, but I�ve handled a few .22-250�s and 6mms as well. This 788 was my wife�s first hunting rifle, bought new in �82. As it came out of the box it had a birch stock and did not have the best trigger in the world, but it still would group 150gr. Remington Cor-Lokts right out of the green box into the smallest 100yd. groups I had ever shot to that point.

Over time I restocked it and worked the trigger over, adding a shoe as well to it.

Somewhat to my chagrin, and despite effort�s to beat it with other custom barreled rifles, it remains the most accurate gun in our safe. Years ago when I occasionally shot hunter rifle class competition, I worked up a load with 130gr Speer HP using WW748. If the shooter did their part, it would put them within �� of point of aim all day. It was used by me and some other club members to beat some very much higher priced and modified rifles with enough regularity that it became semi-infamous.

It has never given one iota of trouble, but I never tried to make it do anything more than be a .308. It likely has seen only about 1500 rounds so far, so I can�t speak to long term mechanical strength of this action type.

Hope that helped some and good luck with your .243.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought a carbine version in 243 back in the early 80's (trade a model 94 30-30 for it), it shot well and accounted for a couple of yotes and deer before being sold. I've owned two in 6mm Rem, both were good shooters, sold them to a couple of buddies that still own them. Sold my 222 to my brother, very accurate. The last was a 22-250 that wouldn't shoot for crap. Took action out of stock and noticed that the part where the back action screw attaches to the action was broken off. I traded it to a gunsmith buddy for some work he did for me. I don't think I ever paid more than $200 for any of them. All shot decent enough, but $200 is all they are worth in my opinion. Heck, even a Savage 110 can be bought for around $200 at times and looks better and most will outshoot the 788. If you can get em cheap, go for it, otherwise buy a 700.

CK

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 788 in 7-08 is by far the most accurate rifle I own. I have never shot over a 1'' group with any load and my best handloads will go 0.5" @ 100 yds for 5 shots.

Yea it's ugly, yea it's heavy, yea the clip is noisy, but when I want to shoot something small from far away it's the rifle I reach for.

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 788 in 243 win with the 22" barrel and a friend of mine has one in .308 with the 22" barrel. His bolt handle did come off and a trip to the smith, and all is good. Both are vary accurate rifles, and I can't say they are the most accurate rifles we own cause a $150 rifle ain't suppose to out shoot many custom rifles worth many times the $150 that we both own. grin

Steve

Last edited by Shipster; 01/09/08.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Can only echo many of the above-listed sentiments - they're heavy, ugly, and have bad triggers, but boy do they shoot.

My .308 is a tackdriver. I had it KG guncoated and put it into a nicely painted Ramline synthetic stock and actually had somebody make me an offer for it the other day at the range after they saw my target. It's definitely a keeper.

S
S
I own several 788's. My 223 is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. Shoots like it cost thousands.
David

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have owned a couple of 788s, a 223 and a 7mm-08. Have had
a couple of guys tell me that the carbine version came in
all calibers. Is it possible to rebarrel a 788 to 250 Savage?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.