Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by Reloader762
Monotype will give you a much harder alloy using Less than say Linotype or COWW's. A 50/50 mix of Mono/Pure Lead gets you to around 18 BHN, 1 part Mono to 3 parts Lead is around 12 BHN.

Um, yeah. My mono tests at 28 BHN, so well aware of it's hardness.
Monotype will give you a much harder alloy using Less than say Linotype or COWW's. A 50/50 mix of Mono/Pure Lead gets you to around 18 BHN, 1 part Mono to 3 parts Lead is around 12 BHN.

Your tests are probably wrong using a Lee tester. Buy a real tester.

Last edited by anothergun; 05/17/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You were sussed out last time you did what you're doing now as a worthless contentious troll, with multiple user names, who doesn't shoot, who doesn't hunt, who's "knowledge" only comes from what you can plagiarize from Google, and who doesn't show up here unless your welcome is worn out somewhere else.

So what site did you get kicked off of this time?

Rhetorical question of course, nobody cares........

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine

NOT a friend of Maser
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yeah ok... I converse with guys who are waaaaaaaaay above your pay grade son and most here if not all. And I'll leave you at that.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by anothergun
Misconceptions on hard cast. WW are and have been popular in any caliber any mould. Hardcast bullets are for shipping purposes only. Harder alloy wheel weights would be unusable to balance tires and beyond repair to contour tire rims, hence bullets being damaged during shipping too. Considering l work at P&DC and watch, from a distance, packages being tossed into containers being damaged throughout the night cleaning up spills, that is the reason for hard cast. FIT is king with soft cast and yes, even without gas checks, Keith hated them. I load 13 BHN WITHOUT gas checks and Kieth loaded 11 B without gas checks.

Misconceptions.....

"Harder alloy wheel weights would be unusable to balance tires and beyond repair to contour tire rims"

Thats why there are so many even harder, less dense steel and zinc weights being used these days.....

Of course you could also drop every weight from the casting mold with a quench and make them harder without changing the alloy.

I generally run bullets beyond 22 BHN in everything, for a variety of reasons, none of which are the fear of being damaged during shipping, because they arent shipped.

The average "winning" hardness in registered CBA benchrest matches is 18-22 BHN, or essentially linotype hardness, so perhaps it isn't about shipping after all.

1 member likes this: Feral_American
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thats why there are so many even harder, less dense steel and zinc weights being used these days.....

the environment.... did I really have to remind you of that ?

The average "winning" hardnessin registered CBA benchrest matches is 18-22 BHN
need for casts that hard at all for the thread title tells you this? 45ACP.

For higher velocity hard cast is better. Casters call high velocity loads (over about 2,000 fps) linotype and even harder alloys are clearly needed as the velocity goes up.

And what is the weight of those higher alloy casts ? I loose 10 grains with 13 for my 44 .....

Thanks Hawk1 for staying on topic.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
the environment.....

Yeah, ah, you......you missed the point on that homie.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine

NOT a friend of Maser
1 member likes this: Creeker
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
the environment.....

Did I ?? Hmmm wheel weights are 95% lead so no l didn’t miss the point of them being outlawed. Try to keep up son.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by HawkI
Misconceptions on hard cast. WW are and have been popular in any caliber any mould. Hardcast bullets are for shipping purposes only. Harder alloy wheel weights would be unusable to balance tires and beyond repair to contour tire rims, hence bullets being damaged during shipping too. Considering l work at P&DC and watch, from a distance, packages being tossed into containers being damaged throughout the night cleaning up spills, that is the reason for hard cast. FIT is king with soft cast and yes, even without gas checks, Keith hated them. I load 13 BHN WITHOUT gas checks and Kieth loaded 11 B without gas checks.

Misconceptions.....

"Harder alloy wheel weights would be unusable to balance tires and beyond repair to contour tire rims"

Of course you could also drop every weight from the casting mold with a quench and make them harder without changing the alloy.

I generally run bullets beyond 22 BHN in everything, for a variety of reasons, none of which are the fear of being damaged during shipping, because they arent shipped.

The average "winning" hardness in registered CBA benchrest matches is 18-22 BHN, or essentially linotype hardness, so perhaps it isn't about shipping after all.

At what range are these “winning” matches shot at ?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
the environment.....

Did I ?? Hmmm wheel weights are 95% lead so no l didn’t miss the point of them being outlawed. Try to keep up son.

The point was, YOU said anything harder than "wheel weights" couldn't be used for balancing tires, and you gave reasons.

Harder alloy wheel weights would be unusable to balance tires and beyond repair to contour tire rims

YOUR words.......

Hawkl educated you that what is used today is infact harder than wheelweights, ie zinc and steel, and have been usable ever since lead left the picture. THAT aspect has absolutely zero to do with "environment" and everything to do with you not knowing a damn thing about it. Try to keep up Karen.

NOT a friend of Maser
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Meant to say softer.. l went back BEFORE you decided to bash.. and say softer.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Add lying POS to your campfire resume`.

Just go away.

NOT a friend of Maser
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
nah I'll stay..... see you soon !!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I Bullet alloy depends on bullet lube. I shoot original Springfield TD carbine and a Sharp's conversion carbine. In both I use a 20-1 lead-tin alloy. Real soft, but using a good soft lube designed for sich, I get no leading.

this statement is completely off the the wall....... FIT is king. I used NRA old formula with WW with NO leading.

Last edited by anothergun; 05/18/24.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

How would you know how hard it is? You don't use a reputable tester.... LMAO !!!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Misconceptions.....

So close the winners get their bullets shipped to them.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

What do you mean so close whistle that doesn’t tell how far they shoot ! LOL

I’m going by how packages are handled here where l work, USPS PD&C. How much weight is lost with your hardcasts? And what distance do they shoot? I only shoot heavy bullets, not the heaviest but heavier than 165 for the 30 cal.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NOT a friend of Maser
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
CBA competition… 100 yards, mommie wow! He’s a big kid now!

A couple of like minded idiots who agree on BS

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just loaded a bunch of 212g penta hp bullets I made with my m&p 230 mold with the penta pins. I wanted a bit of expansion so I ran 8 pounds of rmr bullet scrap, which is pretty soft bhn around 10, with 1 pound of clip on ww alloy and 1 pound of monotype.

The rmr is mostly lead with just a little antimony. A little ww lead gives me some arsenic and the bit of mono gives it a bit of tin. My 8:1:1 blend casted very well and with powder coating I'm running them over 8.5g of aa#5 and getting 1000 fps in my 5.25" xdm threaded and 960 fps in my 1911 commander 4.25". I'm getting no leading at all and I just powder coat shake and bake then run them through a lee.452 push through sizer.

Bb

1 member likes this: Feral_American
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 10,520 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums82
Topics1,200,607
Posts18,647,907
Members74,201
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.