Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have an M8 2.5 on a Henry .45 Colt and a 1-5 Vari X-III on a #1 .45-70.

Not wild about the frictionless turrets, but they do hold zero. The M8 is about the darkest scope I own.

If I had it to do over, I’d put a red dot of some sort on the Henry. I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re plenty for a pistol caliber carbine.

I do think a lightweight, straight tube scope is the way to go for stuff like .350 Legends and .450 Bushmasters. Throw .45-70’s, .30-30’s, and the like in there as well.

One thing I’ve noticed is that guys tend to want to shoot at 1” dots to zero a rifle and if they can’t see the dot, they think they don’t have enough scope. I’ve asked when they last saw an orange, 1” sticker on the side of a deer. I’ve gotten everything from puzzled looks to middle fingers as a response…..

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Igloo
Originally Posted by andyrping
I’ve had no problems in low light. You get a pretty large exit pupil at 2.5x.

Happy to hear it. I love the idea of this on a light carbine for 200 yard hunting but I was worried that it becomes too hard to use as the light gets low. That's reassuring. Thanks Andy.

Sounds like a perfect application for one. Hope you can find one!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Sadly, the market has moved away from what I would call practical hunting scopes.

Agree.

Hopefully the void is filled.

100, hopefully some astute business people at the good manufacturers are seeing the void and hearing the cries...this prs bullsh1t fad will turn to practical rifle hunting one day again....just not right now, hang in there folks, the trend will go the opposite direction one day

first guys back in the door on this will do well, but basically start with studying the small and loved 1" leupold stuff, it won't take much to hit the 21st century visions of this

trim dimensions, add in illumination reticle center dot preferably by solar or fiber (no battery required but if so as back up), a simple elevation solution to 600 (cds-zl is the best of dials, but lr -duplex reticles also good), variety of fixed power options, 2/4/6....and then 1-6 type variables, with objectives only big enough to keep them trim and low low mounting

this trend will come around one day again.....trijicon leupold.....would be my preferred players....but holosun could have a chance here to get in the game with their awesome solar tech, I'd trust night force, maybe swfa but they seem all a little too prs or military oriented still....they haven't seen the void where leupold ruled yet and just brought us competition with the 21st century upgrades....it's that simple

we're talking 1" tubes, 40mm or SMALLER objectives, 10x max on variables otherwise a low mag game from 1-6x primarily, and add in some elevation solutions (simple ones because that is hunting and what hunters want) and the illumination. dot is a no brainer.....the biggest scope in the line should be about 2-10x 40mm and 15 ounces maximum, Not one of these scopes should be over 1 lb

have them track, rtz, and hold zero to fencepost driving levels then look out lol....there's gonna a bunch of prs crap hit the classified haha, and a whole new 0-600 shooting discipline will emerge, life-size targets, 2 boxes tops over a weekend, speed to shot the critical focus etc. and sub 10 lb rigs including any bipod or aiming aid attached, and no training wheels circus level scopes etc. lol....factory ammo/factory rifles and then custom and hand loaded ammo categories....that's it, real world, real hunting

focus on making hunting shooting the most instinctive as possible, kiss as possible, the natural laws governed by hunting...600 max, 3/4 second tof, 20"+ wind reading drops off drastically in real world hunting, we're not chasing the 2% here....goal should be to improve the 98%, far more like 3d archery....prs went the wrong direction from proper hunter development

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/12/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Sadly, the market has moved away from what I would call practical hunting scopes.

Agree.

Hopefully the void is filled.

100, hopefully some astute business people at the good manufacturers are seeing the void and hearing the cries...this prs bullsh1t fad will turn to practical rifle hunting one day again....just not right now, hang in there folks, the trend will go the opposite direction one day

first guys back in the door on this will do well, but basically start with studying the small and loved 1" leupold stuff, it won't take much to hit the 21st century visions of this

trim dimensions, add in illumination reticle center dot preferably by solar or fiber (no battery required but if so as back up), a simple elevation solution to 600 (cds-zl is the best of dials, but lr -duplex reticles also good), variety of fixed power options, 2/4/6....and then 1-6 type variables, with objectives only big enough to keep them trim and low low mounting

this trend will come around one day again.....trijicon leupold.....would be my preferred players....but holosun could have a chance here to get in the game with their awesome solar tech, I'd trust night force, maybe swfa but they seem all a little too prs or military oriented still....they haven't seen the void where leupold ruled yet and just brought us competition with the 21st century upgrades....it's that simple

we're talking 1" tubes, 40mm or SMALLER objectives, 10x max on variables otherwise a low mag game from 1-6x primarily, and add in some elevation solutions (simple ones because that is hunting and what hunters want) and the illumination. dot is a no brainer.....the biggest scope in the line should be about 2-10x 40mm and 15 ounces maximum, Not one of these scopes should be over 1 lb
I agree. I remember the magnum craze. Every other deer hunter I knew in the SE were convinced they needed a 7mm mag or 300 mag to kill whitetails at 150 yards.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

have them track, rtz, and hold zero to fencepost driving levels

What will they be made of?

Adamantium?

Unobtanium?

IC B2

R
RPN Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by mathman

have them track, rtz, and hold zero to fencepost driving levels

What will they be made of?

Adamantium?

Unobtanium?

Looking at the originator, maybe irrelevantium.
He sure doesn't let facts get in the way of his ideas.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gee, kids these days, what’s a heavy 3-9x40? 13.4 oz is Trijicon accupoint. I think leupolds were lighter. What’s their 3.5-10 weigh? 12.5? I used to run 30mm side focus leupolds that were 40mm objective, og mk4, and they were 15.5 oz...

All aluminum...wtf you think they made of? Do kids these days even know what actual hunting scopes and rifles look like? Or is it all 20 oz plus ffp mil chassis tanks etc?

Lots of 33-36 mm stuff in the 10-12 oz range. And no that’s not tube size lol.

Target Hubble’s and Hunting Scopes are two different things. If you can’t get to 600 with 1 lb or less in glass then you have bigger problems to worry about.

Want all the bells and lariat auto drive with sunroof models to hunt? Or just a plain Jane no fat work truck model? No offence...actually much offence and disdain to those who can’t see hunting is a KISS principle no fat is where it’s at type thing so...

So...take what’s good about 21st century tech and know how in terms of a battery optional illum dot and cds-zl or lr duplex type reticles and the keep the best no fat envelopes from the 20th and improve on that with 21st know how.....should allow us to build 21st century proper hunting scopes. In same envelopes with 21st century honed features. Hunting features. Not bullsh1t prs ffp extra fat features in extra fat scopes...useless to go to 600.

I’ll carry my fat around my middle thanks.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/13/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Potsy
Have an M8 2.5 on a Henry .45 Colt and a 1-5 Vari X-III on a #1 .45-70.

Not wild about the frictionless turrets, but they do hold zero. The M8 is about the darkest scope I own.

If I had it to do over, I’d put a red dot of some sort on the Henry. I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re plenty for a pistol caliber carbine.

I do think a lightweight, straight tube scope is the way to go for stuff like .350 Legends and .450 Bushmasters. Throw .45-70’s, .30-30’s, and the like in there as well.

One thing I’ve noticed is that guys tend to want to shoot at 1” dots to zero a rifle and if they can’t see the dot, they think they don’t have enough scope. I’ve asked when they last saw an orange, 1” sticker on the side of a deer. I’ve gotten everything from puzzled looks to middle fingers as a response…..

I suppose it’s natural to assume that shooting at a small target will let one get smaller groups, but actually the target should be chosen to allow the reticle to be centered easily; size, shape, and color. The best size for a low-power scope might be pretty large.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Was thinking a 3x5 index card represents heart and brain housing group quite fine

Were it a higher power scope I usually just use a 1 inch-ish piece of green masking tape.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The 2.5 ultralight goes 9.5 oz in warne mountain tech rings. Of all the scoped 9.3x62 mausers I've used here in Alaska, this fn mauser scoped with a 2.5x is the lightest one yet at exactly 8lbs even:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Well poo on Leupold. I was a huge fan of their 3x fixed scope which of course no one bought so the cancelled it but brought it back for a little while. If they would make one with a #4 reticle I think I would by 4 or 5 just in case

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by pacecars
Well poo on Leupold.

My thoughts exactly. Instead of trying to do what everyone does now, why not be different and stand out? It’s a shame that quality, simple and compact fixed power hunting scopes are a thing of the past.

Last edited by andyrping; 05/14/24.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I've been running the 2.5x ultralights for quite some time. They're just a basic sighting device. A "half a scope".

I've also run other "half a scopes": The burris 2.75 scout. It had a more legible reticle at low light and was better than the leupold. It was equally light at about 7oz.

I'm certain that burris could configure the fixed scout into a standard scope. It has a longer tube, than the 2.5x ultralight, which is too short.

The field of view on the 2.5x ultralight isn't all that great either. I could honestly give a flying f uk that the leupold half-a-scope is discontinued.

I'll talk with Burris about the 2.75 fixed scope.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/15/24.
1 member likes this: andyrping
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Sightron S1 1.75-5 only weighs 12.7oz, not bad at all.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

nice looking little scope. Are they well regarded?

The Vx-II 2-7x32 is 9.8 oz if you find one used and the vx-Freedom in same is 11.7 I think? But depending who you ask around here they lose zero if you look at em wrong too lol

Last edited by Igloo; 05/15/24.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Not really a half-a-scope. Just another beat around the bush sized scope. A nice 2-7 weighs 12 oz or less, and oftentimes has a usable, range compensating reticle.

My first Alaska rifle was equipped 1.75-5 burris fullfield.

Anyhow, these 6-7 oz fixed low power scopes. There's still a market for them. Somebody will easily fill the void.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,073
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.