Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I just bought a Savage 24C, the camper model with case. I thought it would make a great "low profile" truck gun.( I am Canadian so keep that in mind when commenting, so no I can't keep my HK P7 in the glove box grin). I am not a shotgun guy so I could use some advice as to what ammo to get to complete the package. My current nthoughts are to get some 20ga slugs and some buckshot loads. I already have acquired some #7 bird shot which I assume would do for grouse.The buckshot available now is #3

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by kujuak; 05/02/24.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The recoil is pretty stout when the 20 gauge barrel is fired.

K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I figure this will be a pack a lot , shoot a little tool. I am not a bird hunter. I shoot grouse when the elk/mule deer hunting is slow. I have a Savage 24 22/410 I keep in camp for that.The Camper's Companion would be kept in my truck when I'm on the road , for "just in case".Like when I was stuck on the wrong side of a road closed with a mudslide, it would have been comforting to have that along with my sleeping bag/bottled water/ax/ Power bars. I keep in my truck. I've bought some birdshot and slugs to try out this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What do you want to do with it?
In the PD, I was often asked about a home defense gun. I recommended a single barrel 20 gauge. Have 4" taken off the barrel. #6 shot. Nasty at close ranges...I side the house, across the room

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The camper model was unchoked so don't expect much of a pattern past 20 yards or so. Slugs and buck, ok.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What do you want to do with it?
In the PD, I was often asked about a home defense gun. I recommended a single barrel 20 gauge. Have 4" taken off the barrel. #6 shot. Nasty at close ranges...I side the house, across the room

K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Low profile firearm to have in truck when on the road, to use for all the things a firearm could be used for "in a pinch" when one was not expecting to need a firearm. Such as vehicle break down on a deactivated logging road, no cell service (lots of places in B.C. where there is no cell service especially in the north and mountains).Same places one can run into grizzly bears, predatory black bears and other unpleasant varmints. I figure slugs and buckshot would be the way to go,no?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Traditionally, 20ga buckshot has been a 20 pellet load of #3 for the 2 3/4" and 18 pellets of #2 in 3". There are a few more options out there today if you can find them. Aguila makes a 16 pellet
2 3/4" #2 buck, Federal does a 2 3/4" #4 buck with 24 pellets, and Rio and Monarch do 2 3/4" #1 buck with 9 pellets. Any of these, along with some Foster slugs and birdshot, and you'd be prepared for about any scenario.

1 member likes this: kujuak
K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks! I will follow that good advice.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kujuak
, so no I can't keep my HK P7 in the glove box :

Thought you guys up there had the P7-A model haha.

But seriously: https://www.theboxotruth.com/threads/the-box-o-truth-22-20-gauge-shotgun.339/

Last edited by plumbum; 05/08/24.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not going to shoot to the sights (or extremely unlikely), so try those slugs before you go shooting at grizzly bears. wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As far as slugs go, try Brenneke. I've had good luck with them in my current 24. They will be a handful in the camper, but they pennetrate better than any other 20 gauge load I've tried that shoots good from a smooth bore. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on black bears. I have no experience with those big bears.This gun does shoot slugs and center patterns to the sights. Most of the others I've owned have not. You just need to try a few different ones.
In my mind the little camper would have a happy home in my truck and in my hands. I've not been to your part of the world, but I spent a bunch of time in the bush up toward Clova in Quebec in the 70's and 80's. I'd have.felt a lot better sleeping with that handy when the black bears were sniffing around my tent.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all your replies. To respond to some comments:
1.Re :grizzly bears. I will NOT e looking to run into a grizzly with a 20ga single shot. I have been lucky enough totake a grizzly, I used a 338WinMag with a 250gr Swift A Frame bullet. BUT the 20ga slug sure beats throwing rocks wink! is

2. I got my new toy out to the range and plain old Winchester slugs grouped into 3" at 40 yds. Brenneke slugs would be nice but currently ammo selections are very slim.

3. My Savage 24 22/410 shoots very well under 2" offhand groups withb 22's at 40yds. Shoots to point of aim. Sadly my 24C ( excellent condition) shoots 6" low at 40 yds with rear elevator at max elevation. I have been investigating ways of getting more elevation. It has been a learning experience. Looking at pictures of Savage 24Cs there is some variability with both rear and front sights. In fact my 22/410 Model 24 has a much taller rear sight vertical blade than my 24C. I don't want to fool with that sight though because the 22/410 shoots so well and is sighted in.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]24c rear sight.I am going to try glueing on a taller rear blade to resolve the issue. The front sight is not amenable to filing down and the only replacement 24C front sights are not compatible with my rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I see several easy options for your rear sight elevation issue. 1st thing I would do is a little math. Measure the sight radius (distance between front and rear sight). You say it is 6” low at 40 yards, is that your desired “zero” distance? If so, you have the numbers to figure out how tall the rear sight needs to be.

1. Purchase or make a taller elevation blade. Not that hard with a file, piece of metal, and some cold blue. Or you may get lucky and buy one rhat will work. The Savage sight is not unusual.

2. Replace the entire rear sight assembly for one with more adjustment. A Winchester post 94 sight with elevator and adjustable blade on rear sight should do it. A quick read shows that both use a standard 3/8” dovetail.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for your advice. I use this type of rifle for what I call casual hunting around my mountain cabin. I carry it as I walk around my property and if I spot a grouse, badabing! I have a Savage 24 22/410ga I have been using. On a walk last year I heard a deep toned growl from the bush and quickly retreated . I decided 22LR and 410 birdshot were not adequate for such situations:) (There are lots of black bears in these parts and grizzlies have started to come back into the area wih a transition to elk from mule deer secondary I think to loss of mule deer winter range from clear cut logging.
Anyhoot 40yds is the max distance I would be using the 24C.

Where does one find "a piece of metal"? I have been looking for said piee of metal since this sight issue came up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kujuak;
Top of the morning to you, I hope the day in your part of BC is a wee bit brighter than it is down here in the Falls and that you're well.

My absolute first stop for firearms parts is Western Gun Parts in Edmonton.

If you are within driving distance of down here, I have a few parts drawers with oddball front and rear sight parts.

Decent 20 gauge slugs are for sure problematic, as is big enough buckshot to be legal to use here.

A friend out at the coast solved this issue by loading his own with .318" round balls that I sent him.

If you're inclined, shoot me a PM when your post count gets high enough to do that - think it's maybe 25 posts??? - and this old guy would be happy to do my best to help you figure the site issue out.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
kujuak Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Morning back at you! The rain has stopped briefly but the grass is till too wet to cut, breaks my heartn;). I have friends in the Boundary country so so travel up near your way a few times a year. now that i'm retired I have more time to get into trouble, but less $ to get into trouble with. I ordered what I think may be a taller rear sight elevator, we shall see. If it doesn't work I may take you up on your offer.
Really nice to meet a fellow BC'er. When I get my LEH tag for California bighorn this year (you'll know I got the tag when a flight of pigs goes over your house) I'll be hanging out in your neck of the woods.
I was a membere here years ago and hung out in the Savage forum, for reasons I don't recall i went on a Savage 99 kick. Drifted away when I had trouble logging in and in frustration I just said to heck with it. I'll update my progress when the Numrich part shows up.
Cheers!
Kujuak

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 59 invisible), 12,397 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums82
Topics1,198,290
Posts18,605,322
Members74,139
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.