Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I rebarreled an old Ruger M77 with a Douglas 1 in 10 twist barrel last year. The idea was to be able to stabilize bullets up to 70 grs.<P>I started with the 69 grain Sierra Match bullet. It worked okay and helped to wack some jackrabbits out to 375 yards. I was just not happy with the accuracy I was expecting with this rifle. I tried other bullets. The round nose Speer was very accurate but sort of worthless a long range. A 55 grain sierra was so so with groups in the 3/4 of MOA. I was debating what to do next.<P> One of the guys that goes to my range is always experimenting with 22 wildcats. He has a 6mm Remington necked down to .224. His setup allows for stabilization of up to 80 grain bullets. With a 31 inch barrel and 70 grain bullets he can easily get 3900. Talk about accuracy, he made me envious! He had all sorts of brands of bullets that did not work for him, which he generously gave me. <P> The first bullet I tried was a VLD( very low drag) 70 grainer made my JLK. I was skeptical, but said I would try them. <P>All I can say is where have I been? Finally with this bullet I can shoot in the .200s" and occasionally in the high .100s!!! When I crunched the numbers through the ballsitic program, I was very impressed! They sure overtake any of the lighter bullets when they are past 300 yards. <P> I just thought those super pointy bullets would have to jump so much to hit the rifling that they just couldn't be accurate.<P>I stand corrected. Never too late to learn, and try new stuff. Based on the 69 grain Sierra performance on jacks this 70 grainer will do fine.<P>Just had to share....Ross <P>

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ross, I have a Tikka Varmint with a 10 twist and have great results with Hornady Vmax 55gn. The 62gn Sierra sp also shoots well, under .5". I'm using 8208 and Hornady brass. Although it looks like I'll have to have a close look those VLD's

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
a 1 in 10 twist doesn't add much to available 22 caliber bullets...

you want to open your realm much wider... consider a 1 in 8 twist, or even a 1 in 7 twist...

I took a one in 7 twist barrel off a 223, when I sold it..had the barrel rechambered to 22.250 and put that on another Ruger 77 Mk2, with a magazine length that was longer as the previous barrel on that rifle was a 243. The barrel has heavy magnum profile ( think 458 Magnum profile).. 24 inch Pac Nor made barrel...

it'll pretty much stabilize anything from 85 grains in 22 caliber on down. It certainly has a waaay out there reach...

I also have a 6mm Remington barrel, same profile and length, on a Remington Long Action..

That rifle I have settled on two bullets that I've used for that, and shooting way out there...

A 75 grain HP, its kind of turns coyotes into what my 22 caliber rifles turn sage rats into... its NOT for saving the fur... but I don't care to do that anyway...

The other bullet is for just reaching out beyond what I need to, when I'm in the mood....that is dedicated to a 115 grain Berger. when that bullet is loaded ammunition.. it looks like a small model of an Atlas Missile...

Thats a "for fun" rifle...

both those options open up what a 22.250 and a 6mm Remington will do...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by triplecanopy
Ross, I have a Tikka Varmint with a 10 twist and have great results with Hornady Vmax 55gn. The 62gn Sierra sp also shoots well, under .5". I'm using 8208 and Hornady brass. Although it looks like I'll have to have a close look those VLD's

Re-barreled? Or it's not a 22-250? I'm also wondering where you guys are getting 1 in 10" twist is "fast" for a 22-250? The new Tikka 22-250's are 1 in 8" and will stabalize 88gr pills pretty well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 70 gr vLD over varget is a winner for me.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My question is...........How did you find a 22 year old post to reply to ???????????

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor

My question is...........How did you find a 22 year old post to reply to ???????????
Good question...

I just followed the guy above me, and only looked at his date of his post...

Funny though how old threads get brought up and then newer posters don't notice its original age..

After many moons here, my usual response to questions here is : ITS the campfire... where strange things come to happen.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The OP was last seen 9/30/01. I'm thinking he's not going to see the answer to his question.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BangPop
The OP was last seen 9/30/01. I'm thinking he's not going to see the answer to his question.

They are digging deep man. A lot of what was posted 22 years ago does not apply today. That is just real world fu cking truth. Why did that mo fo open a thread this old? Most ideas back then are null and void...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well heck I was happy with 1-14 twists slinging 50 grain bullets into coyotes and prairie dogs.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm from Australian mate, we have some odd ways, comes from spending so much time upside down.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 60 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.