Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
OP just asked about a canoe to catch some fish in a lake. Wanted it to be suitable for a small outboard. Used Grumman still makes good sense. I'd take one if it fits on the trailer.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Woah buttstock, eat some fresh brookies and fiddleheads. Calm down, there are more lessons to come.

Yep, those fking aluminum tubes for keels are foolish. I've been at this since before Scott canoe went out of business. I've repaired many of them pieces of brittle sht.

A bunch of unoriginal bums, cloned the design. Must suck to be unoriginal........

Barry retired owner of Two Rivers (when it was in Medway) is one of em. Called it the "maine freighter" what a joke. That morbidly fat fk could barely walk across a flat parking lot without losing his breath, but you'd think he was Daniel boone himself.

Acquired both my Scott Hudson Bay and James Bay freighters from Barry Davis in Medway, ME. Barry Davis has passed away. I knew him before he opened up his shop, when he worked at the East Millinocket paper mill. His business was purchased by a guy in Sherman (?), ME (Taylor's Two Rivers Canoe). They offer the 21 ft "Maine Freighter." Price , with trailer, is in the $10,600 area (confirmed by recent email).

In contrast, the aluminum 20 ft double ender Grumman canoe (0.050" thick stock) can be purchased for under $1000. For what it is, it is a lot of boat. Could be a good option for the OP. He would be able to recover his cost pretty quickly when he upgrades. I've seen them for under $600, but decent ones run $800+.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by WMR
..........Used Grumman still makes good sense. I'd take one if it fits on the trailer.

I'd take one if I could find one.

NRA Life Endowment Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Huntster
Originally Posted by WMR
..........Used Grumman still makes good sense. I'd take one if it fits on the trailer.

There are many on Maine's Facebook Marketplace, but a looong paddle home for you.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by WMR

There are many on Maine's Facebook Marketplace, but a looong paddle home for you.

You are a bad influence; an enabler of sorts. I never shop FM. Until today, that is. There's a bunch of cool boats on there.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by WMR

Good to know. If I could escape for a while, a trip to Maine would be a good one. I’d come back with a few of them, and sell off a couple.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WMR

My Grumman Sport Boat's not for sale. If something happened to it, I'd find another one. I've never used the Grumman 19 footer but it should haul a bunch of stuff. If that was not enough, then I'd look at one of the big freighters that the cool kids are describing. I've followed Lonnie's YouTube channel for a long time and remember his moose hunt that mainer posted about. Neat video.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mainer, here's one closer to home......tho I still think the Kotz idea is the best.
I have a cabin about 20 miles up the Nowitna. Assume you know where the Nowitna is. Another 20 miles above me is another cabin. Current permitted owner is MIA in the lower 48. Not too sure he is coming back. Nowitna is NWR so cabins are permitted. However, this cabin, like mine, is pre 1980. That means permittee OWNS the cabin. This cabin can be sold. I suspect the current owner may be interested in selling. The current owner bought it from the original builder.
There are some caveats concerning who can purchase this cabin. The cabin is actually on a lake back off the river. There are other line cabins also.
But really Mainer, wouldn't you like to go to bed at night next to a good 40 something Kotz woman!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's an 18' Teslin for sale in Tok. Cheap! Pics look good.

For those searching for a Grumman of any size; there is a Facebook Group on Grumman and another on Square Stearn Canoes. I have seen some real buys on there.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I would have thought an 18' jon boat would have been more popular . Maybe with a 15 horse , just to get it on plane. No?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If you want excitement. Drop an anchor in strong current in a double ended canoe. I did it once in the winter trying to fish below a waterfall. My 17 foot grumman thought it was a deep diving bass plug. I managed to pull loose before we completely sank.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
An old friend told me that canoes were invented by Indians to kill white men.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The canoe was to the development of Canada what the horse was to Western USA.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 62 invisible), 12,570 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums82
Topics1,198,290
Posts18,605,313
Members74,139
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.