Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
A rifle for "when things go south" is not really about fine accuracy, but rather, about 100% reliability in all conditions with reasonable accuracy.

Of course, as usual, YMMV

MM

5×5

That's my requirement, MM.

All else is gravy.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Shooting someone who is 100 yards away from you seems like it might be tough to sell as a home defense shooting to the LEOs who investigate.

If that bad guy 100 yards away is shooting at you and you shoot back, what would you call that? Is that not self defense?

Note that the OP said that his sister was looking for an AR to use for home defense. What other people do is of little interest to me, but I wouldn't bet my future freedom by shooting at someone who is 100 yards away from my home. Shooting someone in a home defense scenario, would typically assume that person who was shot had broken in to the home and by doing so posed a threat to the people who were legally entitled to be inside of that home.

I'm the only person who I know who has actually shot an armed home invader. I didn't kill the person, but I did shot much of his right arm off below the elbow. I might have actually saved his life by putting a tourniquet around his right bicep. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't provide that first aid and would let whatever was going to happen happen. After he had been convicted of multiple felonies, he sued me in civil court, charging that I used excessive force in defense of myself and my family. He lost the case, but it cost me over $10K out of pocket to defend myself.

1 member likes this: Q_Sertorius
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by MOGC
Shooting someone who is 100 yards away from you seems like it might be tough to sell as a home defense shooting to the LEOs who investigate.

If that bad guy 100 yards away is shooting at you and you shoot back, what would you call that? Is that not self defense?

Yes, if you are being shot at from 100 yards away, then shooting back would be self defense. But you are always going to judged based on the reasonableness of your actions.

The original example of shooting at someone 100 yards away from your house - who is not yet shooting at you - would be a very troubling self-defense case. You would need to provide some compelling background facts to justify shooting the person in that situation. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but you would have to explain your thought process and that would have to be a justification that made sense to a reasonable person in your situation.

Edit - if you ever find yourself in a self-defense situation, I recommend letting your lawyer explain to the cops why it was self-defense. At most, I would never say more than, "I was acting in self-defense. If you have further questions, I will exercise my 6th Amendment right to speak with my lawyer before answering any further questions."

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 06/10/24.
1 member likes this: Akbob5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm the only person who I know who has actually shot an armed home invader.

There plenty of people around who've shot people with 5.56. Even in this thread.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 12,866 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums82
Topics1,198,297
Posts18,605,497
Members74,139
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.